onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
join:2002-03-30
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

Quick question regarding IE on Chrome or Mac

Those IE browser extensions/add-ons for Chrome, FireFox, and Mac. And websites that require you to use IE.

I would assume that if you have sensitive client information that should not be seen by other eyes, this extension should not be used for websites where you would need to access such things. Correct?

I say this because the address shows as this, when trying to access a site that would require IE to use it: »ielatest.ieonchrome.com/ ··· s_rd=ssl

How I read that link is this... I'm using that ieonchrome site as a pathway to get to google. They are basically the middle man so-to-speak.
Which tells me to get the site that requires you to use IE, once you use this IE extension on another browser, you actually go through some one else's server, which emulates IE and then gives you access to the site you're requesting; while you're sitting on their servers accessing the site containing the confidential information.
It doesn't seem secure to me at all.

Am I looking at that correctly?

Weasel
Premium Member
join:2001-12-03
Minnesota

1 recommendation

Weasel

Premium Member

said by onebadmofo:

I'm using that ieonchrome site as a pathway to get to google. They are basically the middle man so-to-speak.
Which tells me to get the site that requires you to use IE, once you use this IE extension on another browser, you actually go through some one else's server, which emulates IE and then gives you access to the site you're requesting; while you're sitting on their servers accessing the site containing the confidential information.
It doesn't seem secure to me at all.

I would assume the browser extension works just like the web based option: You type in URL, it dumps it to their servers, renders it as IE for you and sends the data back.

This is kind of like Amazon's Fire browser thing that would pre-render web pages on their servers when browsing on their Kindles, or apps you can get on your smart phone so you can use flash. It gets handled and processed on their servers and dump you the result.

I would say it is only as secure as they make it, and I would assume 0 security since you have 0 control over it.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

I figured as much.
Wish I could set something like that up myself. That way I know it's safe cause it would be on OUR servers.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
United State

linicx to onebadmofo

Premium Member

to onebadmofo
I don't know this will help anyone or not.

If It is marked universal foo Mac or PC it will work on Mac.

I use Mac with Safari Browser and Duckduckgo.com as my search engine that allows you to search anonymously.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

I'm not worried about anonymous searching. I'm trying to find a way to access IE only websites from Google Chrome on a ChromeBook. And I know that IE extensions and add-ons exist, but they don't seem secure for the type of site that my users would need access to.

I thought those extensions emulated IE right within the browser on the local machine. But they don't. They guide you to a "middle man" site that then opens an IE door to the site you need access to.