BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

SimplePanda

Premium Member

[Internet] Rogers IPv6 appears to be rolling out

Can anyone else fire up a router with IPv6 and DHCPv6-PD support on a Rogers connection and confirm they're getting (or not getting) IPv6 service? It started working a couple weeks ago for another forum user and I have working native IPv6 myself now.

I'm in the West End / High Park / Junction in Toronto.

There have been no announcements but I can 100% confirm I have working native IPv6 right now (2607:fea8 LAN prefix and 2607:f798 WAN address, both of which are registered to Rogers directly).
LZYKNOWLEDGE
join:2015-03-02
Wasaga Beach, ON

1 edit

2 recommendations

LZYKNOWLEDGE

is your area upgraded simplepanda? are you able to get gigabit internet in your area? I know my area is not upgraded and I am only receiving a local fe80: ipv6 address. I am sure you saw my post on the ipv6 forum explaining my situation. I wonder if only people in Toronto or upgraded area's are getting ipv6 public addresses.

My setup is rogers hitron gateway bridge mode to my pfsense. Pfsense is only receiving a ipv6 local fe80:: address. I have tried with my laptop directly to the rogers gateway while in bridge mode with rogers gateway fully power cycled to get a fresh ipv4 and ipv6 addresses with the same result. Only getting a public ipv4 address but my ipv6 address that i am receiving is a local fe80:: .

Triple Helix
DNA
Premium Member
join:2007-07-26
Oshawa, ON

Triple Helix to SimplePanda

Premium Member

to SimplePanda
Not here.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

2 recommendations

SimplePanda to LZYKNOWLEDGE

Premium Member

to LZYKNOWLEDGE
said by LZYKNOWLEDGE:

is your area upgraded simplepanda? are you able to get gigabit internet in your area? I know my area is not upgraded and I am only receiving a local fe80: ipv6 address. I am sure you saw my post on the ipv6 forum explaining my situation. I wonder if only people in Toronto or upgraded area's are getting ipv6 public addresses.

No, no gigabit available here and my CM (CGN3ACSMR) is still binding 20 down / 3 up as it always has. The channel count and gigabit availability was the first thing I checked after I saw an IPv6 pair getting assigned.

This area of Toronto is traditionally slow to get infrastructure upgrades. In the "Hybrid Fibre" days, Hybrid Fibre 250 service wasn't available, and then was finally made available as 250/10. It wasn't until around the Ignite rebranding that 250/20 was finally deployed.

Based on Rogers' history around this area it's basically a dice roll between who will deliver gigabit first (Rogers upgrading the cable to support it or Bell getting fibre into the area for FTTH).

Triple Helix
DNA
Premium Member
join:2007-07-26
Oshawa, ON

Triple Helix to SimplePanda

Premium Member

to SimplePanda
gcerullo
join:2015-10-31
Toronto, ON

2 recommendations

gcerullo to Triple Helix

to Triple Helix
Triple Helix FYI,

You'll need to configure your own router for IPv6 and put the Rogers modem in bridged mode. I don't believe the Roger modem has been updated to handle IPv6. Also, you have to configure the DSLReports speed test for IPv6 the default configuration is to test IPv4.
LZYKNOWLEDGE
Wasaga Beach, ON

2 recommendations

LZYKNOWLEDGE to SimplePanda

to SimplePanda
Fascinating... what is your rogers gateway Firmware version? was it upgraded? I am asking because i am not able to get a public ipv6 address at all. I tried setting modem completely back to defaults resulting in the modem in re-upgrading its own firmware version 4.5.8.16. I know because every time i set it back to defaults when booting up the downstream and upstream re-sync's five to six times before it completely boots up for me only when I set everything on the gateway back to defaults.

even after I put the gateway back to bridge mode after I change the gateway back to defaults I was still unable to get any public ipv6 address. I did all of this about a week ago. Testing everything. in the end no avail.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

2 recommendations

SimplePanda

Premium Member

4.5.8.16 here.
LZYKNOWLEDGE
Wasaga Beach, ON

2 recommendations

LZYKNOWLEDGE

Then, I think they are ethier slowly deploying ipv6 or that your area "simplepanda" is one of the few selected area's to get ipv6 for test trials only. You one of the lucky few right now.

damir
join:2013-12-12
CANADA

damir

LZYKNOWLEDGE
Wasaga Beach, ON

2 recommendations

to SimplePanda
the one thing I noticed recently is that I was not getting an ipv6 local address from the gateway for the longest time even though it is not a public ipv6 address. So ipv6 on the Rogers gateway was disabled for me for the longest time. so Rogers must be up to something.
Madwand
join:2002-12-03
Toronto, ON

3 recommendations

Madwand to SimplePanda

to SimplePanda
Yonge & Wellesley here and getting ipv6! Using wireless for now, but you get the point.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to SimplePanda

Premium Member

to SimplePanda
Anyone with an external router, or is this just for the CGN3 modems in routed mode?

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

3 recommendations

SimplePanda

Premium Member

I'm using a CGN3ACSMR (4.5.8.16) in bridge mode to an Airport Extreme (Apple).
gcerullo
join:2015-10-31
Toronto, ON

1 edit

2 recommendations

gcerullo to HiVolt

to HiVolt
I'm pretty sure everyone is using an external router with the Rogers modem in bridged mode but I could be wrong.
I don't think the Rogers' modems have been upgraded to handle IPv6 natively.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

2 recommendations

HiVolt

Premium Member

Just wondering what IPv6 settings are being used... I have rogers at work with the DCM3825 modem with asus router with Tomato...

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

2 edits

3 recommendations

SimplePanda

Premium Member

said by HiVolt:

Just wondering what IPv6 settings are being used... I have rogers at work with the DCM3825 modem with asus router with Tomato...

DHCPv6-PD for the LAN is working for me (that's how the Airport Extreme does IPv6 when you put it in "Native" mode).

Rogers appears to be assigning a /128 to the WAN, and they're definitely assigning just a /64 prefix to the LAN.

EDIT: For Tomato you're going to want to be selecting "DHCPv6 with Prefix Delegation" on the IPv6 options screen. Enable router advertisements and turn on "Accept RA" from WAN. Use a prefix length of 64. If your area is rolled out that should just work.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Ok i'll fiddle with it at work tomorrow see what happens.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda

Premium Member

Good luck! Post back when you know what's up. Would be interesting to know where it is and is not working.
LZYKNOWLEDGE
Wasaga Beach, ON

to SimplePanda
It seems to me people mainly in Toronto getting public ipv6 addresses.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda

Premium Member

Seems like it.

Makaveli998
join:2002-04-23
Toronto, ON

1 edit

3 recommendations

Makaveli998 to SimplePanda

to SimplePanda
So after reading this thread and since I also live at Yonge and Wellesley I decided to enable IPv6 in the router and you guys are correct its working.

damir
CANADA

damir

Kitchener, doesn't work, at least not for me :P
LZYKNOWLEDGE
Wasaga Beach, ON

LZYKNOWLEDGE to Makaveli998

to Makaveli998
wow, even you. Well, here in King City I am waiting. I would believe when the good temps come the techs will be out in full force again like every summer upgrading everything.

damir
CANADA

damir

Time to move my friend, time to move!! :P

Makaveli998
join:2002-04-23
Toronto, ON

1 edit

Makaveli998 to LZYKNOWLEDGE

to LZYKNOWLEDGE
said by LZYKNOWLEDGE:

wow, even you. Well, here in King City I am waiting. I would believe when the good temps come the techs will be out in full force again like every summer upgrading everything.

yup lol I can see rogers head quarters from my window!

JAMESMTL
Premium Member
join:2014-09-02

3 recommendations

JAMESMTL to damir

Premium Member

to damir
Actually I suspect kitchner was early in the hardware deployment. I remember even before you were with Roger's directly, you were picking up Rogers RAs even though you were with start.

damir
CANADA

damir

yep, true that, i was with start at that time

AOD
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
M9B

AOD to SimplePanda

Premium Member

to SimplePanda
I'm having an issue with pfsense. the wan interface and lan interface are showing both ipv6 addresses but i cant access anything ipv6 even following this guide.

»theosquest.com/2014/08/2 ··· pfsense/

damir
CANADA

damir

Check this out:
»scottlinux.com/2015/10/1 ··· pfsense/

They mentioned this part here:

" Note! I also had to uncheck Interfaces > WAN > Block bogon networks

This for some reason blocked some things that IPv6 requires to work! So leave that blank (unchecked) for WAN! "