Home of The Rat Patrol
MVM
join:2001-03-31
Saint Louis, MO

jopfef to ELLecTrix

MVM

to ELLecTrix

Re: NAV Auto Download Daily updates Program

Ellectrix, not LiveUpdate! This is an "inside" thing that Norton has, called Intelligent Updater.

On occasion, I've had to use Intelligent Updater manually, when a set of file definitions has become corrupted or something like that. If the virus definition files become corrupted, LiveUpdate sometimes is unable to update them the next time around. So, you hop out to the Symantec website, and use Intelligent Updater to get a new set of virus definition files, and Voila'!!! -- LiveUpdate will run again the next time.

Here is the LINK to the Intelligent Updater page. You can see that you can download the virus definition files manually. There are MUCH more regular updates for virus definition files here, than with LiveUpdate. I believe that LiveUpdate's normal updating procedure is on Wednesday, unless there's a virus outbreak, and then Symantec will release new information for LiveUpdate. If this procedure from GT works -- and I am definitely going to set it up on my system and try it -- then your system would have more current virus definition files than what LiveUpdate automatically provides.

Sorta confusing, isn't it??? Seems that Symantec would let LiveUpdate get the most current definition files, no matter what. I guess this saves wear and tear on their servers, particularly since the newer versions of NAV can be set to check for updates automatically.

ELLecTrix
join:2002-03-12
Ardmore, PA

ELLecTrix

Oh, now I get it! Thanks for the explanations jopfef and gt!

I made a habit of running LU every night, since I get online after dinner anyway. Takes 3 seconds.

mfwizard
Bobby's Cool
Premium Member
join:2000-11-10
Huntsville, AL

mfwizard

Premium Member

said by ELLecTrix:
Oh, now I get it! Thanks for the explanations jopfef and gt!

I made a habit of running LU every night, since I get online after dinner anyway. Takes 3 seconds.
You are really lucky. Nine times out of 10 when I run LiveUpdate manually, it won't connect to the Symantec server. It times out and hangs up my machine. So, I don't depend on it to "automatically" update my definitions, because if I can't connect manually, I doubt if it is connecting when unattended.