Zupe
MVM
join:2001-11-29
New York, NY

Zupe to gt7697c

MVM

to gt7697c

Re: NAV Auto Download Daily updates Program

I've been playing around with the automatic intelligent update per the instructions gt7697c posted, and I think I finally managed to get it to work. The main problem appears to have been that the file specified in the original symantec files is for the corporate edition only, or something similar, so it doesn't work with other versions (I use Nav2002). I went to the ftp site and found what I believe to be the right update file to replace the one originally indicated, and it appears to have worked. Here are the contents of the two files as I have them right now:

cegetter.bat
ftp -s:cescript.txt
"c:\temp\symcdefsi32.exe" /q
del /q "c:\temp\symcdefsi32.exe"

cescript.txt
open ftp.symantec.com
anonymous
nobody@spammer.com
cd public/english_us_canada/antivirus_definitions/norton_antivirus/static
lcd C:\temp
bin
hash
prompt
get symcdefsi32.exe
quit

If anyone tries these out, I'd appreciate it if you could post and let me know that this in fact does work for you. Also, if anyone knows how to hide the ftp dos box when the update is being downloaded, that would be quite helpful as well.

***Edit***
I figured out that you can create a shortcut to cegetter.bat and then set the properties on the shortcut to run minimized to avoid having to watch the ftp download.

dp
MVM
join:2000-12-08
Greensburg, PA

dp

MVM

said by Zupe:
I've been playing around with the automatic intelligent update per the instructions gt7697c posted, and I think I finally managed to get it to work. The main problem appears to have been that the file specified in the original symantec files is for the corporate edition only, or something similar, so it doesn't work with other versions (I use Nav2002). I went to the ftp site and found what I believe to be the right update file to replace the one originally indicated, and it appears to have worked. Here are the contents of the two files as I have them right now:

cegetter.bat

Zupe, when you say working, do you mean you're able to just download the update or download, have your old files auto updated, and then delete the temp d/l? I don't see anything in the batch file to indicate where the files would be copied to after download.

ashbestush
I Like---
join:2001-02-26
Los Angeles, CA

ashbestush to Zupe

to Zupe
said by Zupe:

cegetter.bat

cescript.txt
open ftp.symantec.com
anonymous
nobody@spammer.com
cd public/english_us_canada/antivirus_definitions/norton_antivirus/static
lcd C:\temp
bin
hash
prompt
get symcdefsi32.exe
quit

Couple of comments...

1) The .bat file above assumes you already have a C:\temp folder.

2) I noticed better response from changing the cescript.txt file to point to a mirror site.
Mirrors are:

ftp1.symantec.com through ftp3.symantec.com = WEST COAST
ftp4.symantec.com through ftp8.symantec.com = EAST COAST

Question...

Does anyone have a sense of the time of day (time zone =?) that the updates are normally posted?

ash