SmokChsr
Who let the magic smoke out?
Premium Member
join:2006-03-17
Saint Augustine, FL

SmokChsr

Premium Member

Static IP question..

Let me see if I can explain this where it makes sense.

Ordered 4 Uverse connections, all the same well one came with static IP addresses, which is fine other than I can't breach the firewall for remote equipment access where ever it is.
I'm used to having the Uverse IP fixed, and then port forwarding for access to the remote control.
On this particular box the device plugged in gets a DHCP outside IP address. That would be fine if I could log into it but the port I need to use is blocked.

From what I can tell the Uverse router has 2 assigned IP address, one is in the static pool, and the other is a different address where you can do the remote outside login to the Uverse router.

The device I need access to on the router doesn't show on the device list, so I can't forward a port to it. It's basically acting like the routers firewall is between the outside world and the device, yet since the device does not show on the "connected list" the router firmware will not allow any entries for it.

Anyone know an easy way around this, without re-configuring the service?

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey

Premium Member

Try unchecking the master "firewall enabled" box on the RG? Also, which model RG is this? NVG-something? Pace something-or-other?

SmokChsr
Premium Member
Saint Augustine, FL

SmokChsr

Premium Member

It's an Arris NVG589.
I think I unchecked the master firewall, but I will double check. Since it's 50 miles away normally I do have a remote access set up to the RG. I'll be on site with it in an hour or so as well. (because anytime I make a change I have to go to the site Grrr..)
SmokChsr

1 edit

SmokChsr to mackey

Premium Member

to mackey
I take that back I can't find any master firewall disable.
Manufacturer Motorola
Model Number NVG589
Serial Number xxxxxxxxxxx
Software Version 9.1.0h12d34

(mod edit: remove serial number, which is best kept private)
SmokChsr

SmokChsr to mackey

Premium Member

to mackey
I guess the main problem is that the device (audio decoder) doesn't show up in the connected devices, so when I put in a custom hole in the NAT/Gaming section I can't assign it to the device. Also there is no provision for manual assignment.

It's interesting to note that on the diagnostic NAT Table the device does show up with it's DHCP name.. :/

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey

Premium Member

The NAT/Gaming section is *only* for port forwarding that dynamic address, it has nothing to do with anything going to one of the static IPs. Static IPs are a whole different can-'o-worms and don't show up under 'connected devices'

The "master switch" is under "Firewall" -> "Packet Filter" (check "Disable Packet Filters")

SmokChsr
Premium Member
Saint Augustine, FL

SmokChsr

Premium Member

The Packet filters were all disabled. In this version there was no "master" switch, but 4 separate sections that each had to be selected.

BUT! I found one thing that did allow remote access to the device, It's definitely not the way I wanted to do it, especially if I add more things at the site. But I selected IP Passthrough and made the device the "default server". So it's sending everything to that device.

It just doesn't make any sense to me that you would have static IP's that you can't get to, what's the point.. I know where it is but can't talk to it, but at least it's right there!.. geee..

There must be a better way, that I have no clue about.