how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Dentist

join:2001-08-11
Waterloo, ON

Splitting a roger's connection...How?

I have roger's cable and a hub. How cna I split it to work on all the computers?

Running XP on onr computer, ME on the other.

emmpeethree
Twizzling Flagella
Premium
join:2001-04-13
Richmond, BC

buy a router

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
reply to Dentist

The cheapest solution is to get a second card and use Internet Connection sharing on the machine with two cards, so it acts as a full IP Masquerading router. A simple router without IP Masquerading will require multiple IP addresses from Rogers.

Stetson$
It's Raining Justice In Iraq
Premium
join:2001-07-13
The Hiway
reply to Dentist

I have Rogers and a four port hub.........What are you looking to do...Its very basic,,,,Plug your Main line from your modem into UPLINK......Then run the other pc's off the line out ports..If you go this route you will have to pay for additional service...$9.00 a month for new each PC with new IP#s........Stet
--
**Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.**

emmpeethree
Twizzling Flagella
Premium
join:2001-04-13
Richmond, BC
reply to Dentist

don't waste time and money doing that, well mostly time, buy a router, for a 100 bucks you get a firewall built in and it saves ALOT of hassle...

Dentist

join:2001-08-11
Waterloo, ON

Thanks for suggestions, but I got it working.

Used 2 NICs in one computer, had the internet go into that system, then a cable going out the other nic to the hub.

A little network tweaking, and we're up and running.

Net cost: $0
--
I want to see you smile again...The day the banks collapse...Zee hordes of vigilantees...The day the banks collapse...On us

Mak-B

@cpe.net.cable.rogers
reply to Dentist

Or you can go the cheaper route (with the hub).. First make sure your computers are all on the same workgroup and are basically 'networked' to each other.

Either use a Internet sharing option in Windows 98SE, Win2k, XP or grab Sygate Home Network Software from (»www.sygate.com).

Set your first computer (which is hooked on the cable) as the server and install the software on the other computer as clients (you will have the option when you run the install program).

I dont even use 2 NIC cards, I have cable modem connected through USB port.. (and software even has some nexlevel function for ONE NIC network thing.. not sure how it works..but if u can figure it out..let us know..hehe)

Sygate Software basically acts like a software router.. and works great..

Tried Tested and True..

Mak-B

j_a_t_h

join:2002-04-29
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TELUS

reply to Dentist

Best way, buy a router (linksys $129)
a second way is to set up a client/server system. This means that the main machine (the one with IP sharing software and the cable modem ) must be on to use the internet.
A good IP sharing program is all_aboard, download it and find a crack.
This can be done with just $20 for a hub (if you do not have one)
Second network card $20
[text was edited by author 2002-05-02 13:31:44]

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:4
reply to Dentist

Kewl!!
What happens when both computers want net access??
or want net access with a file copying over from one computer to the other??

j_a_t_h

join:2002-04-29
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TELUS

All the computers can use the internet at once using the same IP address, anyone on the internet looking at you will see the one IP address. All the computer and the route/hub (if using an IP sharing program) will look like just one computer to the internet. As for copying from one computer to an other, you do not have to go on to the internet. Everything is handled inside your network.