Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

1 edit

4 recommendations

Darknessfall

Premium Member

Possible New Gateway - BGW210-700 (3x3 2.4 GHz / 4x4 5 GHz)

Sometimes I tease gateways(like the NVG3150), but they don't always actually come out, so keep that in mind. Sometimes these gateways that actually go through testing have a better chance. The past NVG3150 has not gone through testing at the time of this thread.

For those curious, a new Arris/Pace gateway has gone through testing just recently. The model number is the BGW210-700. The design looks similar to the NVG3150 pictures I saw on AT&T's site. It's basically the same thing as the NVG3150, but with 4x4 on the 5 GHz radio over 3x3, and no SFP port.

It doesn't have external photos, but the label location page seems to be pretty descriptive, showing an AT&T logo/label info.

»apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/r ··· GRBGW210

It doesn't seem like it was tested for anything cellular related based off a first glance.
MeatSection
join:2000-09-06
Deer Park, TX

1 edit

5 recommendations

MeatSection

## warning I wrote this in the cab on my backup iPhone 5s ##
## some objects may appear smaller than they actually are ##

ATT rolled a truck today, and he arrived right at 8:30 am with a new 5268ac. During the swap I complained about the DMZPlus and boot time, etc

He told me not to get attached to the Pace because they are going to be replacing them with "some 210 something model". He didn't know the manufacturer/model right off hand but said they had gotten an email this past week about it.

With the "210 something" model clue; I went digging and came across this post, and after its enlightenment on exact model I dug deeper. At the time the cache and crawl results that Google and others were not showing results from an official ATT site or mention.

After that I nailed it on the next attempt by just going to their equipment help/guides section, then that's where I saw only a self-swap guide for the new Arris RG - last guide on the page.

as of sometime between DEC'17 to now, they slipped in their swap guide in as you can see under the Internet tab and appear to have made an editorial mistake as the full-length model on their FCC application is BGW210-700:

»www.att.com/esupport/uve ··· ndex.jsp

Latest time machine snapshot was on 12/13/2016, and it is not listed:

»web.archive.org/web/2017 ··· ndex.jsp

With the final round of FCC required labeling edits being approved in December, it reads like we may just have us a little hope as ATT Fiber GigaAddicts

Both of these images are avaible from the FCC linke provided by @Darknessfall and here it is again: »apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/r ··· GRBGW210 (and yes they are labeled Label 1 and Label 2)

Label 1: »imgur.com/3Np4uGo

Label 2: »imgur.com/OaM35JE

Scrolling down to the left side of the diagram under Table II - it's ours (ATT)!

-MeatSection
Deer Park, Texas
ATT Fiber 1000 as of 1/14/2017

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

1 edit

5 recommendations

Darknessfall

Premium Member

Hmm interesting. I wonder when those documents were put up.

The label location actually shows the whole front panel of the gateway(in diagram form) with the AT&T logo as I mentioned in the OP.

Technically, the NVG3150 had support pages for a while, but they were later removed and that gateway seemed to have vanished. Hopefully this one actually launches.

Bye bye coax by the way .

Thanks for the post.

TestBoy
Premium Member
join:2009-10-13
Irmo, SC

4 recommendations

TestBoy to Darknessfall

Premium Member

to Darknessfall
EMC on it is yucky.
Nothing like another noise generator in your house

Anonc4e4a
@2602:306.x

9 recommendations

Anonc4e4a

Anon

Can confirm. Placed order for customer getting 1gb internet Friday 3/4 and BGW 210-700 RG was on the final order summary. Looked through internal systems for info on it and found nothing... but it is real. Kind of odd since the 5268AC has been listed as the Universal RG for awhile. Must be very new and only available to certain CPE garages.
Volidon
join:2006-07-14
Decatur, GA

4 recommendations

Volidon

I assume we can ask for one once they're available? i know others have been able to request different RGs via chat or calling.
FlatWorld
join:2016-07-11
US

3 recommendations

FlatWorld

I believe so. I was able to swap from the 5268AC to the NVG599. I'm really hoping this will come out soon because my NVG599 is having random reboots.

mixdup
join:2003-06-28
Alpharetta, GA

4 recommendations

mixdup to Darknessfall

to Darknessfall
So, this is kind of interesting. -700 is the DirecTV manufacturer code for Pace. Looks like AT&T is going to adopt that across the line
Texas
join:2015-04-17
Houston

1 recommendation

Texas to Volidon

to Volidon
If one wants to swap the 599/5268 to the 210 , wouldn't they start charging the 7$ monthly fee on ones bill?

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

1 edit

2 recommendations

Darknessfall

Premium Member

Keep in mind guys, this unit does not have coax. If you currently are using coax in your current setup, you will have to reconfigure your setup before you receive this gateway. Because of no coax, I wonder what their shipment policy will be. I wonder if they will have some procedure to make sure this gateway is either not shipped(tech only) for a while, or somehow ship this gateway only to those not using HPNA. I don't know if they will just ship it out to customers and let them scratch their heads when they can't connect their coax cable .

I kind of wonder if there will be two versions of this. One with a DSL jack(as pictured) and one with an SFP port, since a poster in another thread mentioned something about an ONT combo gateway.
superericla
join:2017-02-23
Kansas City, MO

2 recommendations

superericla to Darknessfall

to Darknessfall
The BGW210 RG has limited deployment in Dallas, Miami and Atlanta that started the first of this month. This will not be the same RG as the one with the SFP port - though that RG has yet to be announced (at least the model number) to techs anyway. You're correct that it removes HPNA (coax), though 5268 RGs will be available as a substitution for the BGW210 for some time (probably until stock runs out). They'll probably set it up as an RG install for customers requesting the new RG, though it would be an easy swap if there's no TV service (or simply no boxes on coax).
FlatWorld
US

2 recommendations

FlatWorld

Will this be available for order for Telephone & Internet only customers anytime soon?
Nola_tech
join:2016-03-07
Kenner, LA

2 recommendations

Nola_tech to Darknessfall

to Darknessfall
You are correct. The new gateway will not have a coax out port. The release documentation stated we will have to take into consideration whether the customer has set top boxes on coax or not. If they do the coax will either have to be replaced with cat 5e or wireless set top boxes. Keep in mind changing wires is not free so if you ask a tech for this gateway when they get rolled out you will either have to pay for a new line/lines to be run or DIY. Also even though you can request a certain gateway we have to install the gateway listed on the order. There are compatibility tables built around transport types and Internet speeds that determine what you get, it's out of our control. Of course what we have on our vehicles ultimately determines what we install .

For the time being that gateway is only being released in Miami, Dallas, and Atlanta. For all other areas there have not been any ETAs given.
ss911der
Premium Member
join:2000-09-05
Fort Lauderdale, FL

1 recommendation

ss911der to Darknessfall

Premium Member

to Darknessfall
Any advantages over the 5268?
Gerard1234
join:2012-04-03

3 recommendations

Gerard1234 to Darknessfall

to Darknessfall
We are getting these in our neighborhood with some kind of ont module in them. I will give specifications when get time have to work early.
FlatWorld
US
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-Enterprise
Alcatel-Lucent G-240G-A

5 recommendations

FlatWorld to Darknessfall

to Darknessfall
Click for full size
Here's a picture of the new gateway. Unfortunately looks like there's no internal backup battery option. They recommend a $400 APC backup battery which I hope is a mistake. I've got a generator anyway so not too worried about it.

»www.att.com/esupport/art ··· M1053490

TestBoy
Premium Member
join:2009-10-13
Irmo, SC

7 recommendations

TestBoy

Premium Member

said by FlatWorld:

Here's a picture of the new gateway. Unfortunately looks like there's no internal backup battery option. They recommend a $400 APC backup battery which I hope is a mistake. I've got a generator anyway so not too worried about it.

»www.att.com/esupport/art ··· M1053490

You don't need the "compatible" APC SMT1500 when a $60 UPS will do just fine.
It's not like these draw considerable amounts of power.

Their "let's recommend the $400" UPS smells like kickbacks from Schneider Electric to me.
superericla
Kansas City, MO

3 recommendations

superericla to ss911der

to ss911der
It has band steering and a better 2.4GHz wifi card. Not sure past that.
FlatWorld
US
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-Enterprise
Alcatel-Lucent G-240G-A

3 recommendations

FlatWorld to TestBoy

to TestBoy
Exactly. This APC BGE90M keeps my current gateway going for hours.
APC Back-UPS Connect BGE90M,120V, Network Backup with USB Charging ports »www.amazon.com/dp/B00NTQ ··· b4YNRPGN

No need to spend $400 to keep VoIP and WiFi up and running for a few hours. I have a CyberPower Pure Sine line interactive UPS that costs considerably less than the "recommended" UPS to keep my DTV up and running.

The sad thing is if that's not a mistake and they leave the link up, some people who legitimately need their phone service to stay up will end up purchasing these units because they don't know any better....
sean8102
join:2010-11-23
Hot Springs National Park, AR

3 recommendations

sean8102 to FlatWorld

to FlatWorld
Well they certainly simplified the number of status lights. Would be nice to have for the improved 2.4 Ghz Wi-fi over my 5268AC. I've been really impressed with my 5268AC. Get great speed and coverage from the Wi-fi, and extremely reliable.

gadawg
join:2006-01-27
Louisville, KY

2 recommendations

gadawg to FlatWorld

to FlatWorld
Is there a photo of the back? What improvements are there compared to an nvg599?
superericla
Kansas City, MO

3 recommendations

superericla to sean8102

to sean8102
said by sean8102:

Well they certainly simplified the number of status lights. Would be nice to have for the improved 2.4 Ghz Wi-fi over my 5268AC. I've been really impressed with my 5268AC. Get great speed and coverage from the Wi-fi, and extremely reliable.

Main difference in the 2.4 network is going from a 2x2 to a 3x3. Basically faster 2.4GHz wifi for devices that support that, but not 5GHz. Techs are told to not split the wifi networks with the BGW210 since that removes the point of having band steering.
sean8102
join:2010-11-23
Hot Springs National Park, AR

2 recommendations

sean8102

Is band steering where it automatically switches a device between 5Ghz and 2.4 Ghz if the connected device supports both?

I think my ASUS RT-AC88U dose something similar.
Artakamoose
join:2015-08-25
Oakland, CA

3 recommendations

Artakamoose to FlatWorld

to FlatWorld
said by FlatWorld:

Unfortunately looks like there's no internal backup battery option.

Others have already covered the topic of viable UPS backup options for the new gateway, but it's also important to note that the backup battery for the 5268 only covered VoIP. It was useless for the other functions on the gateway. So that was $40 for VoIP backup only.
FlatWorld
US

3 recommendations

FlatWorld

Right. That's the main reason I purchased the internal battery for my NVG599, to keep VoIP online during power outages. The gateway shut down ethernet/wifi immediately after a power failure, but kept VoIP up for over 8 hours.
Artakamoose
join:2015-08-25
Oakland, CA

2 recommendations

Artakamoose

Right,
said by FlatWorld:

Right. That's the main reason I purchased the internal battery for my NVG599, to keep VoIP online during power outages. The gateway shut down ethernet/wifi immediately after a power failure, but kept VoIP up for over 8 hours.

Yeah, and for a just a little bit more coin you can get a proper UPS that keeps everything up for even longer.
FlatWorld
US
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-Enterprise
Alcatel-Lucent G-240G-A

2 recommendations

FlatWorld

That's why I have two. One external and one internal. Of course by the time the internal battery fails, the DSLAM serving has usually depleted its own battery reserve anyways so it's pointless to keep it running any longer .
premisetech
join:2013-08-16
united state

2 recommendations

premisetech to Gerard1234

to Gerard1234
There will be a separate model with the SFP port, the 210-700 was meant to be a copper only gateway but will be used in some fiber deployments. The fiber only model will be the 220-100.

mixdup
join:2003-06-28
Alpharetta, GA

2 recommendations

mixdup

said by premisetech:

There will be a separate model with the SFP port, the 210-700 was meant to be a copper only gateway but will be used in some fiber deployments. The fiber only model will be the 220-100.

This will be interesting to see. -100 is the DirecTV manufacturing code for Technicolor (with -700 being Pace/Arris)

If the 220-100 is close or identical to the 210-700, except it's got an SFP port, that means AT&T is designing these and having them manufactured on spec, much like DirecTV does with their set top boxes. This, as opposed to AT&T buying off the shelf gateways previously (the 5268AC being a prime example..it's used by multiple ISPs)
premisetech
join:2013-08-16
united state

1 recommendation

premisetech

It is being created by technicolor and the software for both is being created in house with a collaboration with aricent I believe.