VHO 4
Greenwave FiOS-G1100
Actiontec WCB6200Q

4 edits

1 recommendation

Branch

Premium Member

New Custom TV - Yes, Again

Mix of the old and new Custom TV, live as of February 19th. There are once again many packages to choose from à la original Custom TV, but like how it is now, you can only pick one. Existing Custom TV customers can keep what they have or move (you can use the link below to see if it's worth it for you), there is no price difference (unless you have bundle specific discounts).

This is obviously much better than what we had, there's much more choice. It's actually custom again.

Here are the new Custom TV packages:

Action & Entertainment: "Action, comedy, drama and pop culture networks."
Sports & News: "Popular sports networks, news and general entertainment."
Kids & Pop: "Popular kids networks, pop culture and general entertainment."
News & Variety: "News rich programming, sports, education and general entertainment."
Infotainment & Drama: "Popular news and educational networks plus general entertainment."
Lifestyle & Reality: "Popular lifestyle networks, kids and pop culture."
Home & Family: "DIY and special interest networks plus sports and general entertainment for the whole family."

You can see what's in each here: »www.verizon.com/home/wid ··· tServlet. Please consult this link so that this thread isn't clogged up with "is channel X in Y package?"
tlbepson
Premium Member
join:2002-02-09
dc metro

1 edit

tlbepson

Premium Member

Thanks for this...they've made improvements.

I can't remember from past discussions on the Custom options if you get the locals and PBS channels with a custom package. I couldn't find any PBS entries via the link so I'm not sure if my memory that locals and PBS are included is faulty.
Oceanside426
join:2012-07-15
Oceanside, NY

1 recommendation

Oceanside426

Honestly this is horrible... custom keeps getting worse and worse, Now there's no way to get HLN & say a channel in Action & Entertainment.. You can only pick one of these, before it was a couple of packs that interested you. Now its less customized.. i'm happy I'm grandfathered into the previous version.. but now I can never change cause verizon screwed up again. I thought when they released this they would do something like... you pick Action & Entertainment plus 2 other or at least one other package lol no its just one pack lol
pittsburgh01
join:2016-02-24
Pittsburgh, PA
Greenwave FiOS-G1100

1 recommendation

pittsburgh01 to tlbepson

to tlbepson
said by tlbepson:

I can't remember from past discussions on the Custom options if you get the locals and PBS channels with a custom package. I couldn't find any PBS entries via the link so I'm not sure if my memory that locals and PBS are included is faulty.

Yes, you get your locals and PBS in every package.
pittsburgh01

1 recommendation

pittsburgh01 to Oceanside426

to Oceanside426
said by Oceanside426:

Honestly this is horrible... custom keeps getting worse and worse, Now there's no way to get HLN & say a channel in Action & Entertainment.. You can only pick one of these, before it was a couple of packs that interested you. Now its less customized.. i'm happy I'm grandfathered into the previous version.. but now I can never change cause verizon screwed up again. I thought when they released this they would do something like... you pick Action & Entertainment plus 2 other or at least one other package lol no its just one pack lol

Agreed, they should've just kept it the way it was with the 1st go-round, where you had the base package and picked a couple channel packs. In my opinion this new Custom TV is slightly better than the 2nd go-round, which really wasn't custom at all, and only done to settle the ESPN lawsuit.

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

So you mean you can't add an additional package for $10 like you could before?
pittsburgh01
Pittsburgh, PA

4 recommendations

pittsburgh01

No. I don't believe you could do that on the 2nd version of Custom either...just the 1st.

Until Verizon or somebody finally does a true "a la carte" package where I can pick exactly what channels I want, I'll pass.
Oceanside426
Oceanside, NY

1 recommendation

Oceanside426

So the first one was probably the best, but at least with the second one they had, the Movie Lovers Pack, Kids, Teens & Family Pack, or the Sports Pack, with this you just pick one package and your stuck with it... no additional choices... I tried to pick more then one in the bundle builder by building a new service & it didn't let me.. they really screwed this up.
pittsburgh01
Pittsburgh, PA

pittsburgh01

Did the 2nd Custom TV charge extra for those packs? If I remember right the 1st Custom TV allowed you to pick two packs for free, then started charging on the 3rd pack.
Oceanside426
Oceanside, NY

Oceanside426

Yes they did charge extra in the second version 6 dollars I think.. but at least you had the choice lol... it isn't that custom if you can't add anything lol, or change anything lol.

Branch
:D
Premium Member
join:2014-07-22
VHO 4

1 edit

1 recommendation

Branch

Premium Member

This is not as good as custom tv 1 but much better than custom tv 2. It's custom again. They aren't allowed to do 1 anymore thanks to ESPN and their lawsuit. So this is a good compromise.

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

2 recommendations

matcarl

Premium Member

How is it better than version 2? I think there were 3 choices in version two with more channels, now there are about 7 packages with fewer channels and you can't add an additional package.

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4
Greenwave FiOS-G1100
Actiontec WCB6200Q

Branch

Premium Member

I believe each package actually has more channels than before. 155+ compared to what I believe was 130+. there were only two options in version two. Sports or no sports. Which sucked for people in my family who watched MSNBC and our RSN, MASN. they couldn't do custom. Now with sports and news, they can finally save $20 a month and drop down and still have 153 other entertainment and news channels also.

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

3 recommendations

matcarl

Premium Member

Now all the channels are divided into 7 packages, there will always be a channel you want in another package. It's only good for someone who watches very limited television.

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4
Greenwave FiOS-G1100
Actiontec WCB6200Q

1 recommendation

Branch

Premium Member

said by matcarl:

Now all the channels are divided into 7 packages, there will always be a channel you want in another package. It's only good for someone who watches very limited television.

Not nessisarily. There's a very large overlap. For example sports and news and news and variety are about 85% the same, with sports having a little more premium sports and variety having a little more "premium" news.
pittsburgh01
Pittsburgh, PA
Greenwave FiOS-G1100

1 recommendation

pittsburgh01 to matcarl

to matcarl
said by matcarl:

I tend to agree. If you watch a lot of sports and also a couple niche non-sport channels, you're basically out of luck with any of the Custom packages.

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4

Branch

Premium Member

nvm
bull3964
join:2014-09-27
Pittsburgh, PA

1 edit

bull3964 to Branch

to Branch
I'm liking these bundles.

Action & Entertainment is the first package that has pretty much all of the scripted TV content that I watch while cutting out most of the cruft. I'm annoyed that none of the custom packages have Smithsonian channel and that package doesn't have IFC, but I can cope with that by buying the individual things I want to watch from Amazon, Vudu, or Google Play and still come out ahead.

I was already looking to drop all my premiums except HBO, opting instead to add on the premiums to my Amazon Prime sub when they have things I want to watch. I just didn't have a TV package that gave me a good value proposition over the Ultimate package. Now I do.

Starz actually has more movies through amazon than you get through the FiOS sub and it's cheaper.
tlbepson
Premium Member
join:2002-02-09
dc metro

tlbepson to pittsburgh01

Premium Member

to pittsburgh01
Thanks for the confirmation pittsburgh01...'-}}
cuda74360
join:2008-11-08
Halethorpe, MD

cuda74360 to Branch

to Branch
Are these available for existing customers? I currently have Custom Essentials, and they aren't listed on the website for me under "Add or Remove Services."
said by Branch:

Mix of the old and new Custom TV, live as of February 19th.

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4
Greenwave FiOS-G1100
Actiontec WCB6200Q

Branch

Premium Member

said by cuda74360:

Are these available for existing customers? I currently have Custom Essentials, and they aren't listed on the website for me under "Add or Remove Services."

said by Branch:

Mix of the old and new Custom TV, live as of February 19th.

Yes they are. Click on a different tv package then click back to custom, or if that's not working, call in.
cuda74360
join:2008-11-08
Halethorpe, MD

cuda74360

Thanks. I was able to chat with a rep and make the change.
said by Branch:

Yes they are. Click on a different tv package then click back to custom, or if that's not working, call in.

compuguy
join:2003-05-26
Burke, VA

1 recommendation

compuguy to bull3964

to bull3964
This is better. My only pet peeve is that if you want Cable news channels like CNN and/or MSNBC, and channels in Action & Entertainment, you can't.

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

2 recommendations

matcarl

Premium Member

Right, so it's not better
compuguy
join:2003-05-26
Burke, VA

compuguy

said by matcarl:

Right, so it's not better

For me, and some family members. Then again V1 and V2 didn't fit either for me.

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4
Greenwave FiOS-G1100
Actiontec WCB6200Q

Branch to compuguy

Premium Member

to compuguy
said by compuguy:

This is better. My only pet peeve is that if you want Cable news channels like CNN and/or MSNBC, and channels in Action & Entertainment, you can't.

It's perfect though for my family member who wants MSNBC and Sports which v2 ones couldn't do. Now you can.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

1 recommendation

elefante72

Man I just checked the RSN + broadcast fee is now $10 in new packages. In two years this has gone from $3.50 to $10.00. 3 years ago it was $0 At what point do they have to actually advertise this? Talk about BTL.

Right now my

Okay get a deal, TV and internet for $100. You get your bill it is $200.

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4

1 recommendation

Branch

Premium Member

They certainly won't have to advertise it with this FCC chairman.
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601 to Branch

to Branch
With this version of Custom TV, can one switch between the different Custom TV iterations on a monthly basis? I am signing up for Home and Family, but I can see during baseball playoff season I would want to be on the Sports and News version (MLB and TBS).

Thanks.
pittsburgh01
Pittsburgh, PA
Greenwave FiOS-G1100

pittsburgh01

said by kes601:

With this version of Custom TV, can one switch between the different Custom TV iterations on a monthly basis? I am signing up for Home and Family, but I can see during baseball playoff season I would want to be on the Sports and News version (MLB and TBS).

Thanks.

Yes -- you've been able to do that with all versions of Custom TV.