DonoftheDead
Old diver
Premium Member
join:2004-07-12
Clinton, WA

9 recommendations

DonoftheDead

Premium Member

Well, since I've disabled updates on 7 and 8.1 this is more of a convenience than a hindrance for me. I thought MS said 7 and 8.1 would be supported until the EOL. I don't remember anything about updates being dependent on hardware in the terms of use. They used to support older versions until the EOL independent of hw configs. I can understand new features in the new CPU's not being supported but the OS not being updated at all? That just sux. 7 and 8.1 users get screwed again. There is a clause that says the terms may be changed at any time without notice so legally they can do this but it's pretty sleazy. Their words and promises are meaningless. Apparently they don't care whether we trust them or not. A rather arrogant attitude. The new management at MS has no honor.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

4 recommendations

camper

Premium Member

said by DonoftheDead:

I thought MS said 7 and 8.1 would be supported until the EOL. I don't remember anything about updates being dependent on hardware in the terms of use.

Microsoft had threatened to suspend CPU support for Windows 7 with the Skylake series of Intel CPUs But Microsoft had to back down when some significant OEMs reminded Microsoft what a bad decision that was, as they were deep in the Skylake product cycle at the time.

I don't see a similar uproar developing with Microsoft's current screwing of its customer base, so I suspect the OEMs were, ummmmm, informed of what was coming down the road.
applerule
Premium Member
join:2012-12-23
Northeast TN
(Software) pfSense
ARRIS SB6183
Asus RT-N66

3 recommendations

applerule

Premium Member

said by camper:

I suspect the OEMs were, ummmmm, informed of what was coming down the road.

Dell has been warning us at work (we buy lots of stuff from them) for months that this was coming...plus there has been other coverage on it.

Doesn't make me any more happy about it though.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

3 recommendations

Blackbird to DonoftheDead

Premium Member

to DonoftheDead
said by DonoftheDead:

... The new management at MS has no honor.

Indeed. Microsoft never pre-conditioned this way the applicable EULA and TOS in effect when I purchased my copy of Win7. It only proves, yet again, that TOS's, EULA's, and promises about EOL's mean exactly and only what the issuer wants to interpret them to mean at future points in time. A company that decides not to honor the plain understanding of a promise they made to a customer is a company that can not be trusted with any promise they make in the future -- it's called 'reputation', and with duplicity like this, Microsoft has earned a terrible reputation.

camper
Premium Member
Bethel, CT

4 recommendations

camper

Premium Member

said by Blackbird:

It only proves, yet again, that TOS's, EULA's, and promises about EOL's mean exactly and only what the issuer wants to interpret them to mean at future points in time.

Once the EULAs, et alia, started to be cited from a web server, instead of a file or piece of paper included with the product, Microsoft appears to have started to consider the wording as quite changeable with the only requirement being, ~please see the updated EULA on our website~.

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

2 recommendations

dandelion to WK2

MVM

to WK2
For the general public Microsoft is basically a monopoly.. monopolies can do as they wish sadly.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

7 recommendations

aurgathor to WK2

to WK2
said by WK2:

Microsoft now blocks Windows 7, 8.1 updates on Ryzen and Kaby Lake systems

As far as I concern it should be none of their business to determine what OS I run and update on a PC as long as I have a valid license... I guess I could just use XP, Vista, or Linux if I get a new PC.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

4 recommendations

urbanriot to WK2

Premium Member

to WK2
said by WK2:

That's ironic, I've recently blocked Windows 10 updates on my Kirby Lake system so I can actually use my computer.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

said by urbanriot:

said by WK2:

That's ironic, I've recently blocked Windows 10 updates on my Kirby Lake system so I can actually use my computer.

Well, that makes zero sense.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

1 edit

2 recommendations

kevinds to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
said by aurgathor:

I guess I could just use XP, Vista, or Linux if I get a new PC.

But they (manufacturer) could use UEFI along with signing, and force you to only run the Win10 OS because no other OS will get past UEFI.

Blocking the updates though.. That makes me angry.. Let me decide what software I want to run on my computer..

I've installed Window 98 on a P4 in the past few years... Runs just fine, very quick.. Wasn't easy to get fully running, but I did and it works great.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

2 recommendations

aurgathor

They most certainly could, but since no mobo maker is in a situation even remotely resembling M$, I'm fairly certain that they will make UEFI optional, or at least there will be a way to turn it off. I'm not sure if it's possible to enforce UEFI at the CPU level where Intel has enough marketshare to pull it off.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

3 recommendations

Anonymous_ to WK2

Premium Member

to WK2
said by WK2:

i quit with the updates my self it's just a waste of time and the odds are you will not get hacked anyways

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

1 edit

kevinds to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
said by aurgathor:

I'm not sure if it's possible to enforce UEFI at the CPU level

Most CPUs have a series of motherboards made for them.. Not too many motherboard will take different generations of CPUs, so yes, it would have to take place at the motherboard, but that could easily be for the CPU generation.. Would take Intel (or AMD) to force though...

I expect this restriction to start on the Surface product line first, in one of the upcoming generations. My guess anyways

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

1 recommendation

ZZZZZZZ to WK2

Premium Member

to WK2

Also most new hardware!

»www.zdnet.com/article/mi ··· ardware/

I stopped doing updates months ago.......and I'm quite happy.

Why users are so brainwashed into believing that they're really needed is beyond me.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

5 recommendations

urbanriot to WK2

Premium Member

to WK2

Re: MS Blocking Updates For Ryzen and Kaby

said by WK2:

said by urbanriot:

said by WK2:

Well, that makes zero sense.

It makes a lot of sense if you've used Windows 10 at differing hours of the day and had your system tied up by because it decided it was a bad time to update or you shut it down to do updates at night and you came in, in the morning and wanted to read the news online but oh no, now you have to wait for updates.

Disabling the Windows 10 update service was the best feature of Windows 10.

I've heard if you upgrade to Windows 7 you get the option to install updates at your own free will, like at shutdown or, well, whenever you like.

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2

Premium Member

said by urbanriot:

It makes a lot of sense if you've used Windows 10 at differing hours of the day and had your system tied up by because it decided it was a bad time to update or you shut it down to do updates at night and you came in, in the morning and wanted to read the news online but oh no, now you have to wait for updates.

Disabling the Windows 10 update service was the best feature of Windows 10.

I've heard if you upgrade to Windows 7 you get the option to install updates at your own free will, like at shutdown or, well, whenever you like.

I use Windows 10 on several different machines each day at home and work. I disagree with you 100%. You can set "active hours" so that updates don't interrupt you.

DonoftheDead
Old diver
Premium Member
Clinton, WA

DonoftheDead to WK2

Premium Member

to WK2
I can see updates being done at the enterprise level but for home users updates aren't nearly as important as all the other layers of defense along with safe hex and commonsense. If I had a business and sw that didn't run on 10 I would be seriously thinking that if I have to move to a new OS I may as well move to something besides Windows. Since I already have an 8.1 Pro key I'll be using that on my new Ryzen build (along with a Linux distro). Updates have caused me more grief than any malware. Most of the malware that home users have to worry about requires user interaction and/or holes in security (default passwords, unsecured wifi, etc.) and updates can't protect you from sloppy security anyway.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

4 recommendations

kevinds to WK2

Premium Member

to WK2
said by WK2:

I disagree with you 100%. You can set "active hours" so that updates don't interrupt you.

More than once I left Windows 10 doing a task, came back to check on it and it very proud of itself for restarting to do updates..

Regardless of what time 'active-hours' are set to, Windows 10 updates have lost my work..

At least Notepad++ resumed and didn't lose what I had entered there.

I gave Windows 10 the software equivalent of a lobotomy... Runs much better now..

It still doesn't work well with devices that use Com ports though

WK2
Premium Member
united state

2 recommendations

WK2

Premium Member

said by kevinds:

said by WK2:

I disagree with you 100%. You can set "active hours" so that updates don't interrupt you.

More than once I left Windows 10 doing a task, came back to check on it and it very proud of itself for restarting to do updates..

Regardless of what time 'active-hours' are set to, Windows 10 updates have lost my work..

At least Notepad++ resumed and didn't lose what I had entered there.

I gave Windows 10 the software equivalent of a lobotomy... Runs much better now..

It still doesn't work well with devices that use Com ports though

You are entitled to your opinion. I run Windows 10 with confidence on all of my machines with zero issue.
Frodo
join:2006-05-05

5 recommendations

Frodo to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ

Re: Also most new hardware!

said by ZZZZZZZ:

Why users are so brainwashed into believing that they're really needed is beyond me.

I'm one of those brainwashed ones that believe that kernel related security updates are needed, because it is these kinds of vulnerabilities that allow a process with low privileges to acquire SYSTEM privileges. I like web video, which means Flash and Html5 video. I see problems using these things if the kernel isn't kept patched. It is this kind of issue why I think people with XP should see if they can devise some kind of approach to keep the kernel patched on those boxes.

DonoftheDead
Old diver
Premium Member
Clinton, WA

DonoftheDead to WK2

Premium Member

to WK2

Well, one size does not fit all. There are folks better off updating and others better off not updating. While some are using 10 without problems (myself included) others are having major headaches. No absolutes here. I wouldn't advise my clients to update or not without looking at their individual systems, needs, and use cases.
Frodo
join:2006-05-05

2 recommendations

Frodo

Well, I don't use 10. 8.1 will take me to 2023. That's good enough for now.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_ to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ

Re: Also most new hardware!

said by ZZZZZZZ:

»www.zdnet.com/article/mi ··· ardware/

I stopped doing updates months ago.......and I'm quite happy.

Need MS blaster update

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

2 recommendations

kevinds

Premium Member

That is exactly my thoughts when someone says updates aren't needed..

Blaster and Sasser worms..

Updated systems helped a lot.. People not getting the updates because dialup was simply to slow to download the updates were hit the worst. Updates are needed..

XP SP2, biggest change was that the firewall was on by default instead of off.

HeartBleed was another more recent one.. Systems that were kept up to date were not affected...

I've done many computer setups without anti-virus software, DeepFreeze instead, but still did the updates every so often.

Cartel
Intel inside Your sensitive data outside
Premium Member
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC

1 recommendation

Cartel

Premium Member

Blaster and sasser were because M$ was stupid and left the firewall off.

When Windows XP was originally shipped in October 2001, it included a limited firewall called "Internet Connection Firewall". It was disabled by default due to concerns with backward compatibility, and the configuration screens were buried away in network configuration screens that many users never looked at.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot to WK2

Premium Member

to WK2

said by WK2:

I use Windows 10 on several different machines each day at home and work. I disagree with you 100%. You can set "active hours" so that updates don't interrupt you.

No you can't. I wrote this in another thread but try to set your active hours to match mine - 6 AM to 1 AM.

Furthermore those active hours are irrelevant when it comes to booting your system back up as you can't affect whether your system will be hung up for a number of minutes when you turn it on in the morning if you turned it off for updates.

It's one of the primary reasons that Windows 10 is still stalling in the enterprise, even with LTSB there's still recurring hiccups with update deployment. I see IT admins enabling WSUS and simply not deploying updates or deploying updates that are security related in a seriously staggered approach.

I see people wrote "blaster" - show me equivalent patches required for Windows 7 / 8 / 10. Don't worry, the list is very, very small.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

2 recommendations

kevinds

Premium Member

said by urbanriot:

show me equivalent patches required for Windows 7 / 8 / 10. Don't worry, the list is very, very small.

Windows 8 anyways, seems to do Flash installs and updates..

There have been many severe Flash security issues.

camper
Premium Member
Bethel, CT

2 recommendations

camper to Frodo

Premium Member

to Frodo
said by Frodo:

Well, I don't use 10. 8.1 will take me to 2023. That's good enough for now.

I'm of a similar mind.

I have Windows 7, and that will last me until 2020. At that time, I'll probably move to Linux as my main OS. I'll keep Windows 7 running via dual boot.

But I'll use Windows 7 only for the couple of apps that don't have good GNU/Linux equivalences. Fortunately for me, the apps I have in that category do not need to see the internet.

And if Audacity continues to improve as it has done in the past couple three years, I won't need Windows 7 too much past 2020....

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

said by camper:

I have Windows 7, and that will last me until 2020.

Consider this folks: many of the security issues that pro-update people are concerned about wouldn't impact the majority of us as they affect LAN environments or even man in the middle attacks in LAN environments, situations that realistically would never impact any of us on our home networks.

But for those of you with a household of a couple computers, a couple people, antivirus, and a browser like Chrome that I'm sure will be updated past 2020...

I know people that are still running Windows XP with Chrome and they haven't had any issues. In fact, I know one person that's still running Windows 2000 with the last available version of Mozilla Firefox without any issues... and the experience is pretty quick. I can't argue with the owner of this configuration until they actually have a problem.