netcool
Premium Member
join:2008-11-05
Englewood, CO

9 recommendations

netcool to WanTime

Premium Member

to WanTime

Re: [Connectivity] Arris SB8200 Activation Issues (Cisco CMTS)

said by WanTime:

i had the OFDM channel before(was trying the cm1000) . it had to be disabled(netcool workaround) when i tryed the sb8200. yes the light is blue.

We made some changes to the bootfile for the SB8200s to work around this issue.

Going forward as long as the SB8200s have the correct bootfile they shouldn't encounter the registration issues that were previously seen on the Cisco cBR8 CMTS.
mjohnson4580
join:2010-01-18
Brooklyn, MD

1 recommendation

mjohnson4580

What is the current firmware version for the sb8200? I just purchased and activated it and want to make sure its correct.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

2 recommendations

Mike Wolf

D31CM-PEREGRINE-1.0.1.0-GA-01-NOSH is the most current (as of 3/19/17).

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by Mike Wolf:

D31CM-PEREGRINE-1.0.1.0-GA-01-NOSH is the most current (as of 3/19/17).

Well, netcool See Profile had said yesterday:
said by netcool:

We made some changes to the bootfile for the SB8200s to work around this issue.

So that did not change the SB8200 firmware version?

RedTechie2
join:2012-03-09
Ivoryton, CT

RedTechie2

I don't think a "boot config" is the same as firmware. If it was a firmware change I would think that would have came from arris. It also means the modem would have to successfully connect to the Comcast network for Comcast to push it down.

It sounds like a boot config can still be pushed down even when this issue happened thus stopping it from happening in the first place.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by RedTechie2:

I don't think a "boot config" is the same as firmware. If it was a firmware change I would think that would have came from Arris.

Yeah, that's why I asked. I know that netcool See Profile said they were working with ARRIS on this workaround, so wasn't sure if it involved an SB8200 firmware update.

For those who had their SB8200 activated previously, like Mike Wolf See Profile , they probably need to reboot their modem to see if the firmware gets updated.
Cloud30000
join:2005-05-04
Nashua, NH

1 recommendation

Cloud30000 to netcool

to netcool
I just rebooted to get the new bootfile (netcool already applied the workaround for my CMTS last week), and got this:

3-19-2017, 11:47:2 Error(4) "SW upgrade Failed after download - SW File corruption"
3-19-2017, 11:47:2 Error(4) "Improper Code File Controls"
3-19-2017, 11:47:1 Notice(6) "SW Download INIT - Via Config file d11_m_sb6141_speedtierextreme2_c01.cm"

The xfinity app is still showing my old SB8141 as well as a second SB8141 using my SB8200 MAC address, so something probably got confused in the system during all of my initial attempts to provision it. Still connects to 24x4 channels at 240/12 speeds (Blast internet 200/10 package), though the ping jumped from ~15ms with the 8141 to around 40ms on the 8200. Hopefully a future firmware fix on either the CMTS, the 8200, or both will get everything settled.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

3 edits

2 recommendations

Mike Wolf to telcodad

to telcodad
Nope, not a firmware update. I asked and was told they found a way to work around the issue by changing a parameter in the boot file instead of implementing the software update from Cisco. My modem, on an Arris CMTS, has been running since before the boot file was changed, so I'm not sure if it'll download the altered boot file, or if only the boot file on Cisco CMTS' were altered. I'd find out myself but I'm already over 5 days in on uptime reliability testing.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

3 recommendations

telcodad to Cloud30000

MVM

to Cloud30000
said by Cloud30000:

I just rebooted to get the new bootfile (netcool already applied the workaround for my CMTS last week), and got this:

3-19-2017, 11:47:2 Error(4) "SW upgrade Failed after download - SW File corruption"
3-19-2017, 11:47:1 Notice(6) "SW Download INIT - Via Config file d11_m_sb6141_speedtierextreme2_c01.cm"

The xfinity app is still showing my old SB6141 as well as a second SB6141 using my SB8200 MAC address, so something probably got confused in the system during all of my initial attempts to provision it.

Try posting in the »Comcast Direct forum to see if they can remove those older/other modems from your account, so that the proper config file can be downloaded to your new SB8200.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf

I second this. You shouldn't have to live with this screwy setup. Worse yet is it'll likely prevent the modem from downloading future firmware updates and service enhancements.
System

to telcodad

Anon

to telcodad

(topic move) [Connectivity] Arris SB8200 Activation Issues (Cisco CMTS)

Moderator Action
The post that was here, has been moved to a new topic .. »[Signals] Is this power level variation normal?

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf to telcodad

to telcodad

Re: [Connectivity] Arris SB8200 Activation Issues (Cisco CMTS)

Alright, I succumbed to peer pressure and restarted the modem and it did not download a new configuration file.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

said by Mike Wolf:

restarted the modem and it did not download a new configuration file.

OK thanks, so then D31CM-PEREGRINE-1.0.1.0-GA-01-NOSH is still the current version of SB8200 firmware.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf

As of 3/19/2017, on Comcast, yes.
Cloud30000
join:2005-05-04
Nashua, NH

3 recommendations

Cloud30000 to telcodad

to telcodad
said by telcodad:

said by Cloud30000:

The xfinity app is still showing my old SB6141 as well as a second SB6141 using my SB8200 MAC address, so something probably got confused in the system during all of my initial attempts to provision it.

Try posting in the »Comcast Direct forum to see if they can remove those older/other modems from your account, so that the proper config file can be downloaded to your new SB8200.

Thank you to netcool for proactively jumping in and fixing this for me!
Mspark
join:2017-03-26
San Francisco, CA

1 recommendation

Mspark to Cloud30000

to Cloud30000
Wondering if you were able to resolve this? I'm having the same issue with my SB8200
MacPro
Premium Member
join:2017-03-23
Littleton, CO

2 recommendations

MacPro

Premium Member

said by Mspark:

Wondering if you were able to resolve this? I'm having the same issue with my SB8200

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to come up with a reason or explanation for the speed decrease post upgrade despite my best efforts. I did contact netcool on Friday and he verified that my signal levels looked good. He was going to reach out to Arris about the issue to see if they had any further suggestions and/or explanations, but said that it would probably take a few days to hear back.
While I wish you weren't having a similar issue, it's nice to know that I'm not the only one so I can stop fretting over it so much. I will be sure to post if I get any new information.
Quick question, is your modem receiving a DOCSIS 3.1 download signal (blue light)?

Anon40a24
@2601:646.x

1 recommendation

Anon40a24

Anon

I am getting blue downstream but i'm still confused why Comcast is trying to push a firmware upgrade for Arris SBG6400? And i'm still stuck on FW 1.0.0.2. Does anyone know who at Comcast I can call to help resolve? I've tried customer support and they tell me to boot my computer... LOL

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

3 recommendations

telcodad

MVM

said by Anon40a24 :

... i'm still confused why Comcast is trying to push a firmware upgrade for Arris SBG6400? And i'm still stuck on FW 1.0.0.2. Does anyone know who at Comcast I can call to help resolve?

If you register for an account here, you could post to the »Comcast Direct forum or even IM netcool See Profile and see if he can help you.
brandon1381
join:2017-04-04
Tell City, IN

1 recommendation

brandon1381 to netcool

to netcool
How can we tell if we have the correct "bootfile"?
I am running into the same issue (of my router not going online), but was unable to IM you because my account is less than 8 hours old.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf

Instructions »Re: SB8200 32x8 3.1 cable modem - Feedback and Results thread
WoundedVet
join:2017-08-19

1 recommendation

WoundedVet to netcool

to netcool
Do you know if this is something support would know about by now, or should we reach out to you?

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf

I think at this point, it's moot since the file has already been pushed out to everyone.
gtb
Premium Member
join:2016-05-16
united state

2 recommendations

gtb

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

I think at this point, it's moot since the file has already been pushed out to everyone.

"Pushed out to everyone" may be misunderstood (by those who do not understand the details). AFAIK, it is now in all the appropriate config/provisioning files, but if an individual has not rebooted their modem (or had it reboot), they may still be using the previous configs (the SB8200, as many other CMs these days, only reluctantly reboots, and tries, tries, tries, and tries again). One should certainly reboot their modem if they have not done so since the roll out.

I would expect individuals that are still experiencing issues should normally use the standard processes (usually scheduling tech visits). Note that in the real world (given a shared infrastructure), occasionally issues (include T3 timeouts) will happen. If it is more than occasional, get it fixed where it can be fixed, at the local plant level.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

3 recommendations

Mike Wolf

Here's the thing. The adjusted config file has been out since the 7/27. Some of the customers who were having problems were also getting disconnects, so when the modem resynced it would have acquired the adjusted config file. Customers who were affected but did not have disconnects still would have aquired the adjusted config file either due to a power failure, a scheduled system maintenance outage, a remote restart or customer initiated power cycle as part of the level one tech support troubleshooting steps, or by the automated system before even reaching tech support.

Like you said, customers who are still having connection problems should contact Comcast since it's likely completely unrelated to this issue. This is exactly what happened to me. It turned out that me and another user on here who are in the same neighborhood both had node issues, which seems to have since been corrected.