spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ipac
join:2017-06-02
Elmhurst, NY

ipac

[Connectivity] SSH Issues, Connection Timeouts with RCN 1 Gigabit

I've recently signed up for RCN's 1 Gig service, and they came over swapped my router with a Ubee UBC1301 Modem/Router.

I'm having issues SSH'ing into my remote machines, I've kinda came to the conclusion that Port 22 is blocked somewhere on the modem. I have no problem with SSH on my machine, using my other internet connections (like at work, or my phone's 4G via tethering) So this is purely an outbound issue.

Poking around the modem's configuration, there are a bunch of options, but I'm not sure if they are actually doing anything. Gateway > Advanced Settings > Options do show that IPSEC and PPTP are checked, and I've turned off Firewall on the modem. Other than that the Ping diagnostic tool seems to be buggy, leading me to think there are possible issues with the firmware. Perhaps the modem is defective?

I've called tech support asking if there are ports that could be blocked, and I was told there aren't, which makes sense, since I had no issue when I previously had 330Mbit service.

I've did a search and found one other user here »superuser.com/questions/ ··· on-hangs with almost the same issue, but there doesn't seem to be any solution.

Any help or suggestions would be great.
peteboston
join:1999-11-10
Wakefield, MA

1 recommendation

peteboston

I would be very surprised if outbound port 22 was blocked as this is not something I have ever known RCN to do, they don't block it for anyone else. You probably need to load up wireshark so you can see what's going on If you don't use a SSH client, but use a telnet client to port 22, you should see the connection open and respond back with version information. IPsec/PPTP options would have nothing to do with this. One test would be to turn your Ubee in to bridge mode and see if that makes any difference. If you have turned off FW'ing on the modem, there is really nothing there that should be causing this. I doubt the modem is defective, but maybe you need to do a full reset back to factory settings as another Ubee user did who was experience weird problems with his. One possible reason for this is that you have some type of FW/host.allow on the server side and your IP from RCN changed and you didn't open that up? If you own the server you're connecting to, tcpdump -i eth0 would probably be a good place to start, similar to wireshark from your side.
peteboston

peteboston

Here was a thread on a problem with Ubee where it was the FW setting. but you said you turned that off completely, may want to recheck. »www.tomshardware.com/for ··· k-server

"
I know this is old.
But I had the same problem.
I had under firewall tab, IPv4 and IPv6 firewall protection as High...
I set those to "low" and apply.

That solved the problem.
"

and

"
Thank you for this! In my case the checkmarks under gateway were in place but there were two filters checked under the Firewall tab. Unchecking them did the trick. The two were Block Fragmented IP Packets and Port Scan Detection -- not sure which was fighting me but with them gone things are significantly improved!
"
ipac
Elmhurst, NY

1 edit

ipac

Yep, I've checked the Firewall settings, I've turned those options off.

I only have 2 Firewall options, next to the the protection levels, with the following options, Enable WAN Blocking and Enable Dropping Fragments both which are unchecked.

I've switched the Firewall Protection levels, and it doesn't seem to help, but I did set it to Medium and the list under Allowed Services populates, with SSH being one of them.

EDIT: I've rebooted the modem, and I'm still getting timeouts. It appears that didn't work.
peteboston
Wakefield, MA

peteboston

Maybe try a factory reset?
ipac
Elmhurst, NY

ipac

So I just tried a factory reset, that didn't work.

The only thing I haven't tried was setting it in Bridged Mode, but I'll have to read up on how to properly set it up to work with my router.

Its just very bizarre why this sort of thing would occur, and I believe its buggy firmware on this modem. I never had this problem before.

For now, I'll have to use a VPN service to get through, which would be quite an inconvenience, at least until I get some more time to mess around with Bridged Mode, or downgrade back to 330 to get another modem.
peteboston
Wakefield, MA

peteboston

Do you depend on any other capabilities of the Ubee such as MoCA, it's switch, etc? I have a TC4400 which is only a dumb modem so I avoid whatever the mess is with a cable modem and its NAT/FW functions. If you have a router already and are not depending on any of this other stuff you should be able to turn to bridge mode and for worst case reboot this and your router. It may be the double NAT causing an issue.
ipac
Elmhurst, NY

1 recommendation

ipac

Nope, I dont depend on any other capabilities of it.

I've switched it to Bridge Mode, and connected it directly to my computer via ethernet on Port 1. It doesn't seem to resolve anything and cant connect to the internet, but I can access its UI if I manually configure an IP to it. Perhaps I'm missing something at this step?

Otherwise I do have a router, setting it to bridge mode, and hooking it up to it via Port 1 on the Ubee to the Internet port on the router does nothing.
odhnera
join:2015-08-08
Riegelsville, PA

odhnera

Next vacation you go on, leave the Ubee in bridge mode with the new router plugged in. It often takes a while to be assigned a new IP address. Leave the new router in DHCP mode.
NickW5
join:2017-05-27
New York, NY

NickW5 to ipac

to ipac
I have this same issue every time I touch anything in my setup: the Ubee modem/router will no longer assign work in bridge mode (no DHCP assignment comes though). I wrote another post on the forum about it.

I said that the factory reset helped, but it didn't this time around, so I think just waiting is the only thing that works.
odhnera
join:2015-08-08
Riegelsville, PA

odhnera

If you plug it in and leave it plugged in for a few days, you will eventually get an IP address. If you can find the MAC address of the router portion of the Ubee, you could try cloning that.
lart
join:2002-08-19
united state

lart

You might want to test random low (1024) outbound ports using something like »portquiz.net:2/. I'm not on the gig connection but I've never had issues with outbound 22 on RCN.
ipac
Elmhurst, NY

1 recommendation

ipac

As much as I would like to take a vacation, that doesn't seem practical to have to wait that long for an IP address just to test to see if Bridge Mode fixes my issue.

portquiz.net cannot be used at port 22 (nor can 25 be used) since it mentions services run on those ports.

I ultimately downgraded back to 330Mbit. It sucks, but the tech came over, and swapped the modem, and I was able to SSH again, which is a bit more important to me than having a 1 gig connection. The tech suggested that I could go to RCN's main office, to view their modem equipment, and probably pick up a modem only (instead of the gateway all in ones) for the 1 gig connection, but I don't think I will be doing that, since I already downgraded. If customer service had mentioned this to me as an option before I downgraded, I would've considered it, but the tech mentioned it was going to be another Ubee modem. So if anyone else has this problem that may be a possible option.
peteboston
Wakefield, MA

peteboston

I am really thankful to have received this "dumb" TC4400, because it has been rock solid in bridge mode (the only thing it supports). I felt a little jealous at first that you guys in NY had this really cool device, but after seeing all of the buggy firmware problems with it, I am certainly not jealous anymore.
netdmin
join:2009-09-04
New York, NY

netdmin to ipac

to ipac
Hey OP, i'm also in NYC and jumped on the 1 gig deal in NYC (Lower Manhattan). Any idea what the login is for a UBC1301AA00 when browsing over to »192.168.0.1? admin/admin and user/user did not work.

Anond664c
@fidelity.com

Anond664c to ipac

Anon

to ipac
I am currently about to downgrade to 330Mbps too because i have so many issues with the 1GIG router. Its nice having that speed but its uselesss if I cant setup my server correctly. They told me that the UBC 1301 router/modem doesnt support bridge mode and they dont know when it will.

Anond8cc5
@rcncustomer.com

Anond8cc5 to netdmin

Anon

to netdmin
The password for admin is in the sticker on the router.

Funny because if we use VPN, we can connect on port 22.

Anon74b19
@rcncustomer.com

Anon74b19 to ipac

Anon

to ipac
Any fix to this 1 GIG/SSH issue? This RCN 1 GIG just became available here in Bethlehem PA and I upgraded and can not SSH into my machines. I looked through this thread and it feels I have the same issue as the OP.

Best solution to back downgrade to 330?
ipac
Elmhurst, NY

ipac

Yep, that is what I did, I've been back on 330 and have no issues since. Are they still using the same Ubee UBC1301 Modem?

You may be able to request another modem, or ask them for a modem only without routing functionality. I didn't do that, but if thats possible, that may be an option.

Anon49211
@rcncustomer.com

Anon49211

Anon

Yeah they are using the same.

That's what my next move was. Ask for just a router and use a legitimate router.
wdblair
join:2017-09-06

wdblair to ipac

to ipac
I encountered the same issue on the UBC1301 modem. I was able to fix it by logging into the modem's web interface and doing the following:

1. Go into the Gateway Section
2. Disable both Firewalls in the Advanced Settings Section
3. Go into DHCPv4 section of LAN
4. Disable LAN firewall

RCN's customer support told me they didn't know how to configure the UBee Modem.
lart
join:2002-08-19
united state

lart

Are you using a router in addition to the UBC1301 modem? Does that put the modem into bridged mode?

Anoncb78e
@rcncustomer.com

Anoncb78e to wdblair

Anon

to wdblair
This worked, thank you!. I went ahead and re-enabled the ipv4 and ipv6 Firewall to HIGH, and left the LAN firewall off. I am still able to SSH. So it seems that the underlining issue with all this is the LAN firewall; just disable it and you should be good to go.

Thanks again!
wasawusu
join:2017-11-18
Lexington, MA

wasawusu

Thanks everyone! I just got RCN 1 Gbps service, was having ssh connection timeouts and GitHub trouble. Turned off the LAN firewall on the Ubee modem and all is good!
wasawusu

wasawusu

Noting that under Advanced Settings/Firewall, if I turn on IPv4 and IPv6 Firewall Protection, I don't get connection timeouts, but download performance measured via a speed test web site appears to be noticeably worse. Since I'm using the Ubee as a pure cable modem - not a router - figuring I can get away w/o that protection.
mlrtime
join:2004-03-25
New York, NY

mlrtime

I had this working before, disabled everything mentioned and I could ssh out. Now I put the cable modem in bridged mode and I'm using my own router and it seems to have reset something and I can't ssh again.

How do I fix this now that I'm using my own router? How do I get in the admin panel?

Thanks
mlrtime

mlrtime to ipac

to ipac
I managed to get into the admin port in bridged mode but the firewall is disabled and I still can't ssh out. Does anyone have the router in bridge mode and can't ssh out?