spc
Search similar:

uniqs
rlesterphx
join:2017-07-05

2 recommendations

rlesterphx

[AZ] Known Gigablast Neighborhoods

Hi, we're looking to move somewhere else in the valley and fiber access is on my list of "must-haves." Since there's no availability map and user reports are scattered all over the web I thought it would be helpful (and really appreciated!) if people could post known areas, neighborhoods, or cross streets with current Gigablast availability.

Some areas/locations I've found already:
Southeast Chandler (Riggs & Cooper area)
Far North Phoenix (Happy Valley & 67th Ave area)
Proxy 333 Apartments (Downtown - 4th St. & McKinley)

Thanks to all in advance!
rlesterphx

1 recommendation

rlesterphx

I just found this list from user Luke_ in another post:
1) between Kyrene rd and rural road north of ray and south of Elliot.
2) immediate northeast and sourtheast corner Elliot and rural
3) immediate northeast and southeast corner of warner and rural
4) between Dobson and alma school south of germann north of queen creek rd
5) immediate northeast corner of Elliot and McClintock
Fubar
join:2015-01-27
Phoenix, AZ

1 recommendation

Fubar to rlesterphx

to rlesterphx
Cox has 2 Fiber types.

Gigablast which is GPON

and RFOG which is Fiber to a micro Node on the house.

Are you looking specifically for Gigablast fed neighborhoods?
rlesterphx

1 recommendation

rlesterphx

Specifically Gigablast since GPON seems more future proof, but I'd settle for RFOG -- Is that a little more widely available?
wavepax
join:2017-06-28
Avondale, AZ

5 recommendations

wavepax to rlesterphx

to rlesterphx
If you're going to be hard data capped with ridiculous overage fees, why bother searching out a high bandwidth connection from Cox?
rlesterphx

4 recommendations

rlesterphx

Click for full size
Whoa, I was under the impression that Gigablast is exempt from the data cap but just checked and you're right! 2TB, WTF is wrong with them?

Alright, well what about other options? Any other areas in the valley serviced by a reasonable ISP that offers fiber?

haze_nme
join:2004-01-13
Tucson, AZ

1 recommendation

haze_nme

Wow! You would be able to chew through your monthly cap in about 5 hours with Gigablast...

Anone129b
@cox.net

Anone129b to rlesterphx

Anon

to rlesterphx
2TB is pretty good. Even if you stream everything.. The lower tie, Ultimate, used to have 2TB until they lowered it to 1TB. I guess to make Gigablast to appear better. Still ticks me off. Most still can't Gigablast because it's thin in rural areas.

As far as other options, most don't have any options which is why they can cap everyone. Cox is the only option I have, and the overages will start to pile up.
mharris1984
join:2016-07-06
Glendale, AZ
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-PRO

mharris1984 to rlesterphx

to rlesterphx
I know parts of North Scottsdale has Gigablast.

I am at 43rd ave and Union Hills and don't have any hope of ever seeing it. Docsis 3.1 is my only hope, but I want the upload speeds as well. Looking at new developments now and having Gigablast is a must for my requirements.
dtv757
join:2008-09-20
Virginia Beach, VA

1 recommendation

dtv757 to rlesterphx

to rlesterphx
Is there a similar list for VA. Hampton roads market ?

antonio010
join:2002-11-24

2 recommendations

antonio010 to rlesterphx

to rlesterphx
CenturyLink also offers fiber in newer communities as well. They also have additional speed tiers. I believe they offer 100/50 500/500, and 1000/1000

anuraj1
Premium Member
join:2017-04-20
Chandler, AZ
Ubiquiti UniFi Security Gateway XG
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD
Ubiquiti UAP-AC-HD

anuraj1 to rlesterphx

Premium Member

to rlesterphx
said by rlesterphx:

4) between Dobson and alma school south of germann north of queen creek rd

I live immediately north of Germann between Dobson and Alma School.

Been waiting for Gigablast in my neighborhood for years, but now I'm just hoping for DOCSIS 3.1 to release soon.
Davidoo9
join:2008-01-06
Glendale, AZ

Davidoo9 to rlesterphx

to rlesterphx
FWIW, they aren't monitoring Gigablast yet, so the cap is meaningless. I have Gigablast in NW Phoenix and when I'm on the Cox site and try to look at my data usage, it errors out and says that Gigablast is currently not being metered (or something similar to that). I also verified this through Cox customer service. Not saying that it won't be in the future, but right now there is effectively no cap
postxx
join:2017-07-03
Phoenix, AZ

1 recommendation

postxx to rlesterphx

to rlesterphx
Certain parts of the West Valley can also sign up for Zona: »www.zonacommunications.c ··· net.html

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV

4 recommendations

Irish Shark to haze_nme

MVM

to haze_nme
I do not understand why folks say this. If you do the same stuff - or close to it every day - you will just get your stuff faster. That same amount of data will be transferred even if you have 10mb - albeit at a slower pace.

You send out a request to a server. Can that server push out (Upload the data)? If the server does not have 1gb upload, you will not get the data any faster - you will get whatever the sever can dish out - which is something way slower than 1gb.

Do all of the sites that one goes to, deliver the data at that rate? No. So you are not doing to use 1TB in 5 hours.

You might get that gig/sec on some speed tests, but that's it.

Am I missing something - or am I dead wrong about this?

Please help me if I just don't get it.
said by haze_nme:

Wow! You would be able to chew through your monthly cap in about 5 hours with Gigablast...

wavepax
Avondale, AZ

wavepax to postxx

to postxx
said by postxx:

Certain parts of the West Valley can also sign up for Zona: »www.zonacommunications.c ··· net.html

I went to their website to check where they are available in Arizona. Currently, it includes

Vistancia, Peoria, AZ
Sun City Festival, Buckeye AZ
Quintero, Peoria, AZ
Castle Hot Springs, AZ (resort around Lake Pleasant, in Morristown?)
Rancho Wells, AZ (-- Google Maps didn't locate, where is this?)
Whispering Ranch, AZ
Lake Pleasant, AZ
Lake Pleasant Harbor, AZ

These are mostly in the far Northwest valley
rlesterphx

rlesterphx

It says their GIG service is "Currently available in Vistancia only."

I can't find anything about a data cap or usage restrictions in their Terms. The only relevant text states:
"Using a personal account for commercial, high volume or any excessive use is prohibited. If your use impacts Zona’s ability to provide Services or network resources, your use of the Services may be terminated immediately."

Vistancia is one of the new developments very far Northwest (above Sun City). Too bad... I'd move just about anywhere for an uncapped gig connection but those 'Master Planned Communities' are way too creepy.
postxx
join:2017-07-03
Phoenix, AZ

postxx

Yeah.. I'm going to be purchasing soon and having FTTH is going to be on my list of 'wants'.
Needleinthha
join:2009-11-30
Chandler, AZ

Needleinthha to rlesterphx

to rlesterphx
My parents live in Mcdowell Mountain Ranch (North of frank lloyd wright and thompson peak in scottsdale) and they got gigablast installed about 2 years ago.

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark

MVM

These guys are going to do all the easy/pre-install home first so that can get a hold as fast a they can. Especially in areas where CL or any other ISP is in a real life competition,
Then 2017, and now 2018?

Not that I want or need a gig connection, I just sit back and HOPE that somebody will come here (Besides CL- here now) and give them a run for the money.
dtv757
Virginia Beach, VA

dtv757 to postxx

to postxx
I have bell Atlantic FTTH it's amazing.
Defiantly recommend moving to a house / location with FTTH
wavepax
Avondale, AZ

wavepax to antonio010

to antonio010
said by antonio010:

CenturyLink also offers fiber in newer communities as well. They also have additional speed tiers. I believe they offer 100/50 500/500, and 1000/1000

I searched, but could not find a gigabit availability map for Centurylink in the Phoenix area. This is needed if you're choosing a place to live based on gigabit availability. I went to maps.google.com, located Verrado in Buckeye, AZ and chose addresses at random; none of addresses were recognized in Centurylink's webpage. I chose Verrado because during the Centurylink install at my house a few weeks back, the installer said Centurylink had good service in Verrado.

Does anyone know of a map of Centurylink gigabit availability in the Phoenix area?
dtv757
Virginia Beach, VA

dtv757 to rlesterphx

to rlesterphx
Any info on Hampton roads va ?

3 years ago it was only Williamsburg, va.
rlesterphx

1 recommendation

rlesterphx

Try the Virginia forum: »Cox
dtv757
Virginia Beach, VA

dtv757

Cool thanks didn't know there was a separate VA Cox forum
Fubar
join:2015-01-27
Phoenix, AZ

1 recommendation

Fubar

said by dtv757:

Cool thanks didn't know there was a separate VA Cox forum

LOL

There isn't
He just clicked VA at the top of the main forum to only list VA tagged threads

antonio010
join:2002-11-24

1 recommendation

antonio010 to wavepax

to wavepax
There are a few communities I've seen, mainly in the east valley though. I know north Mesa in the Lehigh new build community. Also a community around Higley and Warner in Gilbert, Power and Guadalupe is another that I can think of.
jincuteguy
join:2003-10-12
San Diego, CA

jincuteguy to rlesterphx

to rlesterphx
Any Gigablast in San Diego, CA area yet?
Rakeesh
join:2011-10-30
Phoenix, AZ

1 recommendation

Rakeesh to wavepax

to wavepax
I had Centurylink's fiber service at my last apartment, and it is quite good in Phoenix in terms of reliability and latency. Problem is they don't advertise any of the fees they add on with it.

If you subscribe to Centurylink's service advertised at $79.99 a month, then expect to pay somewhere over $130 a month. I think mine ended up being $147 a month. I don't remember all of the names of the fees, but they were something like:

- Modem rental of $15 a month (the "modem" they bill you for isn't a modem, more on this later.)
- Cost recovery fee of $15 a month
- Regulatory fee of $20 a month (which is bogus because by federal law, the government can't tax internet service.)

Centurylink's "modem" is basically just a run-of-the-mill SOHO wifi router with Centurylink's branding on it. You can (and I did) install your own wifi router, you just have to make the WAN port 802.1q tag all of your traffic as VLAN 202. Not all of them can do this, but I do know that Asus ones can.

Oh, and Centurylink reserves ~50mbit of bandwidth for their Prism TV service, even if you don't want it and don't pay for it.
jincuteguy
join:2003-10-12
San Diego, CA

jincuteguy to rlesterphx

to rlesterphx
Any Gigablast in San Diego, CA area yet?