spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Anon35fc5
@myfairpoint.net

Anon35fc5

Anon

[trouble] Email authentication fail

My apologies for posting anonymously. I'd like to create an account but I can't because of email authentication failure. Just got FP actually working today. Sort of.

We created a couple of email accounts, but it is impossible to use pop and smtp, error every single try.

We called tech support, they confirmed our passwords by trying them on webmail and said our server setting were "right". But they don't work.

Does anyone have an example of pop+smtp settings that acually work?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA

NormanS

MVM

I am not a Fairpoint customer, so I don't know if the settings I could find via Internet search would actually work. However, if you post the error, I might be able to analyze and suggest.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to Anon35fc5

MVM

to Anon35fc5
Have you tried accessing your email via the web interface? That will at least tell you if the email account is set up correctly.

I am no longer a FairPoint customer but I assume when using an email client it needs to be set up using SSL, for privacy. Have you enabled that option and set the correct ports in your email client?

/tom

Anon35fc5
@fairpoint.com

1 recommendation

Anon35fc5

Anon

The problem was that FP's email-client setup page listed servers which are no longer current. It said {smtpauth, pop3} .fairpoint.net

On my first tech support call regarding email, the rep verified my settings were "right" by comparing them to the web page which was out of date.

A second tech support call got a different rep who said it was now {smtp, mail, imap} .myfairpoint.net

That works. So far, ssl isn't working, which is something to investigate. But I suppose since in theory I have a direct connection to FP and they probably encrypt connections between their access-points and servers, hopefully no ssl might not matter?
Anon35fc5

Anon35fc5 to Anon35fc5

Anon

to Anon35fc5
Another email question, which I'd rather not call tech support about because charged us for the last email tech support call.

Webmail. How do I successfully access it? If I go to "webmail.fairpoint.net", I get a Zimbra login page, but the same username/password combos which work on pop/smtp, fail.

On the other hand, if I go to "webmail.myfairpoint.net", there is only a white screen with a weird symbol in the center, and nothing happens. I've tried it with newish browsers too.

What is the correct url? And what kind of browser do I need?

The tech support rep said that email passwords can be set from webmail. Is that correct?

Anonbd01b
@myfairpoint.net

Anonbd01b

Anon

»webmail.myfairpoint.net/#/login

This works fine for me with all browsers. In any case, get a gmail account and have your Fairpoint mail forwarded to it - you will be much happier...

Anon35fc5
@myfairpoint.net

Anon35fc5

Anon

That takes me to the same white page with the symbol in the center.

All I wanted the Fairpoint webmail for was because one of their tech support reps said that the webmail interface was the only way to set the password for the account's primary email address (the one used in the PPPoE login). If their is some other way to set the password without having tech support do it (and charging for it) then that would be better.

Anon5799c
@fairpoint.com

Anon5799c

Anon

I would never use any ISPs email as its almost always worst then gmail or yahoo or AOL and they are free while ISPs charge for email alot of times

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA

NormanS

MVM

I have had four ISPs in my time; none charged for email.

I don't use my ISP email accounts for anything other than to alias my personal domain email. My ISP mail servers actually handle my domain email addresses quite nicely.

Anon35fc5
@myfairpoint.net

Anon35fc5

Anon

Is there any other way at all to change our account password without going through the webmail interface at "webmail.myfairpoint.net"? Something like a SSH shell would be good.

It's only for wanting to be able to change the password for the email account linked to our PPPoE login. Not about the advantages or disadvantages of gmail vs isp mail. But the webmail isn't working for us yet, and we'd like to avoid calls to tech service asking them to change passwords, because they apparently change for that service. They already charged us once for that service.

Would we get better management tools if we paid one-time for a commercial @fairpoint.net address? (instead of @myfairpoint.net)