VHO 4
Greenwave FiOS-G1100
Actiontec WCB6200Q

4 recommendations

Branch to webcobbler

Premium Member

to webcobbler

Re: Preliminary Full IPTV discussion

I am told IPTV going public has been delayed while "strategic options are reviewed". This does NOT affect the trials in any way, which will continue to run as normal. When the review is done, I'll have more info.

That is all the information I have at this time. It does not appear that IPTV is cancelled, it just appears they need some more time to work out the logistics.

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

2 recommendations

matcarl

Premium Member

What else is new? Strategic options are reviewed? Doesn't sound promising.
pittsburgh01
join:2016-02-24
Pittsburgh, PA
Greenwave FiOS-G1100

2 recommendations

pittsburgh01

said by matcarl:

Sure sounds like code for the whole idea is being scrapped.
SArcanine
join:2009-11-09
New York

2 recommendations

SArcanine

said by pittsburgh01:

said by matcarl:

That is usually executive talk that precedes something being scrapped.

Branch
:D
Premium Member
join:2014-07-22
VHO 4
Greenwave FiOS-G1100
Actiontec WCB6200Q

1 recommendation

Branch

Premium Member

said by SArcanine:

said by pittsburgh01:

said by matcarl:

That is usually executive talk that precedes something being scrapped.

i am hesitant to agree only because they say the trial will continue as normal. they would end the trial if they planned on ending the whole thing as every day they keep the trial going is another day people are getting service for free
pittsburgh01
Pittsburgh, PA
Greenwave FiOS-G1100

1 recommendation

pittsburgh01

said by Branch:

i am hesitant to agree only because they say the trial will continue as normal. they would end the trial if they planned on ending the whole thing as every day they keep the trial going is another day people are getting service for free

Time will tell I guess.

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4

1 recommendation

Branch

Premium Member

That is true.

Max1001001
join:2015-12-17
VHO 8

4 recommendations

Max1001001 to Branch

to Branch
It's that no channel numbers nonsense.
dtv757
join:2008-09-20
Virginia Beach, VA

1 recommendation

dtv757

OTT providers don't have channel numbers either
YouTube t.v.
PlayStation tv
DirecTV now

Etc
pittsburgh01
Pittsburgh, PA
Greenwave FiOS-G1100

2 recommendations

pittsburgh01

said by dtv757:

YouTube t.v.
PlayStation tv
DirecTV now

Etc

Exactly. I've been on PS Vue for a week now and have already adjusted to not having channel #'s. I hadn't even thought about it until this post.

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4

1 recommendation

Branch to Max1001001

Premium Member

to Max1001001
said by Max1001001:

It's that no channel numbers nonsense.

100% not it

Max1001001
join:2015-12-17
VHO 8

Max1001001 to dtv757

to dtv757
I've got a Fire TV Box so I've seen some of that. Just leave me out of it.

Anon4df8d
@verizon.net

2 recommendations

Anon4df8d to dtv757

Anon

to dtv757
said by dtv757:

YouTube t.v.
PlayStation tv
DirecTV now

Etc

those services have less than 100 channels so its manageable. fios has like 500. this service is suppose to appeal to millennials which don't want 500 channels and frankly don't even want tv. verizon once again out of touch.
pittsburgh01
Pittsburgh, PA
Greenwave FiOS-G1100

1 recommendation

pittsburgh01

said by Anon4df8d :

said by dtv757:

YouTube t.v.
PlayStation tv
DirecTV now

Etc

those services have less than 100 channels so its manageable. fios has like 500.

Once you get rid of the duplicate SD channels, .tv channels, Music choice channels, and the channels hocking Verizon's service it's a helluva lot less than 500 channels.
dtv757
Virginia Beach, VA

1 recommendation

dtv757

It's very easy to find the program /network your looking for as they are sorted in groups .

As mentioned above channel numbers are no big deal we adapt . Also voice commands are available .
SArcanine
New York

1 recommendation

SArcanine to Branch

to Branch
said by Branch:

It probably would take 1 to 2 months for such a decision to be final. Executives don't make decisions over night. They ease into them.
webcobbler
join:2013-03-09
Rumson, NJ

2 edits

2 recommendations

webcobbler to Branch

to Branch
To me, strategic options would be on the lines of: "How do we market this to the public", or "We can only make this x amount right now, due to the NAND and RAM constraints because of the next iPhone". Look it up. It is a real issue for some Companies.

Compared to tactical, which would be more on the Software side, IMHO. Or even still having to upgrade more of their Central Offices, that currently are not part of the Beta.
dmb
join:2002-12-03
Morristown, NJ

4 recommendations

dmb

IPTV has so much potential verizon is not taking advantage of, if they would integrate things like netflix, amazon video etc to create a consolidated solution I think it would be gold.

That being said, recently the service has been a lot more stable, and much more usable. But please, give us an input button, I can't stand chromecasting something then needing to get up to find other remote(can take over 5 minutes) just to change video input!

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

There's an input button on the older Verizon remotes, I use it all the time. I didn't know it wasn't on the newer remotes. I've used the original remote for 10 years now.
dmb
Morristown, NJ

2 recommendations

dmb

I am referring to the IPTV remotes, which do not have an input button.

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

Yeah, those don't seem to have much of anything.

Anon1d148
@2604:2000.x

Anon1d148 to dmb

Anon

to dmb
said by dmb:

IPTV has so much potential verizon is not taking advantage of, if they would integrate things like netflix, amazon video etc to create a consolidated solution I think it would be gold.

That being said, recently the service has been a lot more stable, and much more usable. But please, give us an input button, I can't stand chromecasting something then needing to get up to find other remote(can take over 5 minutes) just to change video input!

why would verizon develop a box that links to competitors? you want something like that then buy a roku. it's also not verizon's problem that you misplace a remote.
dmb
Morristown, NJ

dmb

Ok verizon fanboy, it is verizon's problem as every single remote that integrates with tvs I have ever seen has an input button, and nobody should have to maintain 2 different remote controls. How is it we can change the volume, turn the power off but can't change inputs? And who said netflix is a competitor, it doesn't have to be.
TonyD79
join:2010-04-08
Ellicott City, MD

2 recommendations

TonyD79 to dtv757

to dtv757
said by dtv757:

It's very easy to find the program /network your looking for as they are sorted in groups .

As mentioned above channel numbers are no big deal we adapt . Also voice commands are available .

As mentioned above...what is the harm in doing both? Some of us just like to look around to see what is on and mindless watch TV. Forcing things into groupings that don't always work is assuming you know what you want to watch.

It is just plain stupid to assume that everyone watches TV the same way.

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4
Greenwave FiOS-G1100
Actiontec WCB6200Q

1 recommendation

Branch

Premium Member

said by TonyD79:

Some of us just like to look around to see what is on and mindless watch TV. Forcing things into groupings that don't always work is assuming you know what you want to watch.

in this regard i think iptv is better. i too like to sometimes just watch sitcoms (friends, big bang) with iptv you can find those shows no matter what channel they're on really easy. plus channels with similar shows will all be right there.
said by TonyD79:

I agree.

Anone140d
@verizon.net

1 recommendation

Anone140d to Branch

Anon

to Branch
Who did not see that coming, since it was supposed be out by summer per branch's source

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4
Greenwave FiOS-G1100
Actiontec WCB6200Q

1 recommendation

Branch

Premium Member

said by Anone140d :

Who did not see that coming, since it was supposed be out by summer per branch's source

I personally (obviously) did not see it coming, especially based on the fact per many people in the trial, the software was good and close to being ready. Certainly better than quantum was at launch (though that's a low bar).

Anonb566f
@myvzw.com

Anonb566f to dmb

Anon

to dmb
Unless vz buys Netflix, they are considered a competitor to Fios. What will you suggest next? To have directv now on fios iptv boxes?
dtv757
Virginia Beach, VA

dtv757

Netflix is interesting.

Optimum has some random offer where new customers get 1 year access to Netflix... technically Netflix is a competitor to cable as well ?

Maybe Netflix is partnering with tv providers to create a partner solution??
SArcanine
New York

SArcanine to TonyD79

to TonyD79
said by TonyD79:

said by dtv757:

As mentioned above...what is the harm in doing both? Some of us just like to look around to see what is on and mindless watch TV. Forcing things into groupings that don't always work is assuming you know what you want to watch.

At the moment, everyone does watch TV the same way as far as Verizon is concerned. That being with channel numbers. This lack of channel numbers is stupid.