page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 ... 6 · 7 · 8 · next

humanfilth
join:2013-02-14
river styx

4 edits

humanfilth

Arris XB6 Advanced Modem/Router

Now available in Kelowna and West-Kelowna Okanagan as of Dec 4 2017

Edit Jan 19 2018: and to customers in Calgary and surrounding areas as of January 15th, 2018.

edit March 20 2018: May be available in other areas (such as Edmonton) in a non-advertised soft launch.

Thread for Technicolor XB6 (Broadcom chipset)
»Technicolor XB6 Avanced Modem/Router

'Arris' Puma chipset (Intel) is considered to be bad, due to ping spikes. It is a flaw in chip design and patch after patch is not quite fixing the long term problems. The 'Technicolor' Broadcom chipset is seen as a better unit.

Puma6 test: »/tools/puma6

edit: March 2 2018: A basic review for gaming results. »Re: Arris XB6 Advanced Modem/Router
edit: March 3 2018: Puma tests. »Re: Arris XB6 Advanced Modem/Router
edit: March 6 2018: On the Puma test, results can vary a little bit depending on some factors such as browser, OS, Cable Node, and LAN conditions. »Re: Arris XB6 Advanced Modem/Router
Edit: March 9 2018: Another members Puma tests: »Re: Arris XB6 Advanced Modem/Router

edit March 6 2018: Need to point out that Shaw seems to be a bit aggressive with criteria for upgrading to the newest hardware (BlueSkyTV and XB6). Things such as 'renew your contract' (beware of not giving permission, and being put into a new contract term), and 'rental fee' (something for when hardware is in short supply, or the company wants more money out of your ass per month), and 'you need to change your plan, as you are being moved to the new billing system' (some on Shaw are in a very old customer profile, due to not upgrading hardware/subscriptions for years).

Note: Shaw early testers of the Arris XB6, can be anywhere in the Shaw footprint.

Shaw ''''with this modem'''' will be finally rolling out IPv6 to the residential customers.
2017: Shaw systems architect, IPv6 deployment, historical writeup »www.nctatechnicalpapers. ··· download PDF

edit: July 1 2018 Support of more than one IP address is lacking edit: Resolved now. at this time »Re: Arris XB6 Advanced Modem/Router //// »community.shaw.ca/thread/37687

Single multi-color status light on top, as you are expected to log into the unit to see whats what. The so-called "modern" management cloud, as companies try to cut their call-support costs by having automation to adjust things on the fly (such as wifi frequencies/power).

Bridge mode. depending on firmware, apparently Gateway > at a glance .Or call in to support to do it.
»community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-15056

»www.multichannel.com/new ··· s/409944
This model should be the Puma 7 model (made by Arris) XB6-A TG3482G Fan is near top on back. »fccid.io/UIDTG3482ER/Int ··· -3225584

Technicolor makes the Broadcom model. DOCSIS 3.1 edit: XB6-T Technicolor CGM4140COM model CGM4141 Broadcom BCM3390 D3.1 chipset Fan is on bottom grill »fccid.io/G95CGM414X/Inte ··· -3423780

Battery backup. It is an external unit. Square shaped. It has some type of wireless function to communicate to the XB6 to only enable phone service during power outage. PDF Arris model (same as Technicolor) »secure.xfinity.com/anon. ··· 482G.pdf
You are better off to use an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) so that the unit gives power to all services connected.

MOCA filter on your incoming service line, or disable in modem/router. MOCA = Multimedia over Coax Alliance

»community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-14080

Available connections on the Advanced WiFi Modem include two Ethernet ports for hardwired devices, and dual band WiFi (2.4GHz and 5GHz). Telephone ports are present on the modem, but are disabled and not in use at this time. There are also factory reset and WPS buttons for resetting the modem and connecting devices via WPS.

Connections on the Advanced WiFi Modem include:
Coaxial in -- Yes
Ethernet - Yes, -- 2 ports
WiFi - Yes -- (Modes A, G, N and AC)
Dual Band - Yes -- (2.4GHz, 5GHz)
Phone ports -- Disabled
Battery -- No
USB -- No
Reset button - Yes -- (back)
WPS button - Yes -- (top)
External antenna - No

Specifications of the Advanced WiFi Modem include:
Manufacturer Arris
Width 12.5 cm / 4.9 in
Depth 7.9 cm / 3.1 in
Height 21.5 cm / 8.5 in

Setup PDF
»community.shaw.ca/servle ··· 8477/XB6
Setup guide page
»community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-12120
Setup via Wifi page. Use Wifi password on bottom of unit.
»community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-12071

On first setup (wired), XB6 should auto redirect to the unit for network setup page.
IP: 10.0.0.1
User-Name: admin
Password: password

Arris XB6

Adding the promo/features page from Comcast. Shaw has disabled some of these features for now.
The future connected home »corporate.comcast.com/co ··· tionwide
Smart Wifi »corporate.comcast.com/co ··· advanced

Article on Comcast future plans of the connected home.
»www.broadcastingcable.co ··· e/170550

Comcast xFi Pods (Wifi Mesh) »www.telecompetitor.com/c ··· overage/

Comcast SmartHome Gateway. Turns your XB modem/router into a controller-gateway for all the wireless shit your home can stuff into it. Even Lojack your kids, so when their phone gets home and auto-connects to the wifi, the XB Gateway will send you an alert. Using the microphone of your X1 TV remote, tell your connected house to do things.
»www.businesswire.com/new ··· vices-15

corbin
join:2013-09-13

1 recommendation

corbin

IPv6? Yes.

Cartel
Intel inside Your sensitive data outside
Premium Member
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC

2 recommendations

Cartel to humanfilth

Premium Member

to humanfilth
cloud-based platform

I wont be using it

Yuno
join:2016-07-17
Winnipeg, MB

Yuno to humanfilth

to humanfilth
Ugly, its like a fat D-Link DIR-860/862/866L router.. why aren't we getting the Broadcom one? Who knows.. but i think i can probably make some good guesses..

Staged roll out no surprise.. or else every shipping company in the country would be clogged with them, fair enough. Whoever here gets one that knows about the Puma Pathetic Phailure of latency, report back please, exactly how much better or not the 7 is over the 6, if the spikes are at least reduced to some noticeable degree, bridge mode actually there, no stupidly low connection table limit, etc..

tallguy11
join:2002-02-08
Lamont, AB

tallguy11 to humanfilth

to humanfilth
wow is that thing ugly!! no status lights, and still a puma chipset.. what a fail shaw! u would think they learned their lesson with the puma 6 chipset... they should be using broadcom not intel...
AJ102
join:2005-03-22
Vancouver, BC

1 edit

1 recommendation

AJ102 to humanfilth

to humanfilth
According to online sources the Puma 7 chipset suffers from the same defect as the Puma 6. The fix didn't make it into the multi-year design pipleline in time.

»www.theregister.co.uk/20 ··· em_woes/
bigfcknnub
join:2016-12-17
R2R 1J3

bigfcknnub to humanfilth

to humanfilth
Great work Shaw =) I personally like the appearance of the new gateway, more modern. It's worth noting that the Puma 7 peforms pretty much identical to broadcoms 3.1 solution when it comes to latency. Figured I would mention that now before people start posting garbage.

jtl999
join:2012-11-24
canada
(Software) pfSense
MikroTik CRS125-24G-1S-RM
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR

3 recommendations

jtl999

said by bigfcknnub:

It's worth noting that the Puma 7 peforms pretty much identical to broadcoms 3.1 solution when it comes to latency.

From what I've heard with the Puma 7, the lag spikes are fixed, but the overall latency is slightly higher than the Broadcom chipset.

Still vulnerable to the DoS exploit unfortunately.
bigfcknnub
R2R 1J3

1 recommendation

bigfcknnub

»Re: SB6190 Puma6 TCP/UDP Network Latency Issue Discussion
corbin

1 edit

corbin to tallguy11

to tallguy11
said by tallguy11:

no status lights

It has a single multi-color status light on top.
corbin

corbin to bigfcknnub

to bigfcknnub
said by bigfcknnub:

Great work Shaw =) I personally like the appearance of the new gateway, more modern.

With Wave 2 802.11AC and an 8x8 MIMO 5G radio, this thing is meant to be put prominently in the middle of your home, or as close to where you mostly use wifi as possible. So they designed it to not look horrible if it's sitting above the fireplace, or next to your TV, or on a shelf.

So it doesn't look like a giant spider like Asus units with 1,000,000 large antennas.

tallguy11
Lamont, AB
ARRIS TG3482
(Software) pfSense

tallguy11 to corbin

to corbin
said by corbin:

said by tallguy11:

no status lights

It has a single multi-color status light on top.

That dont cut it for me.. i like having power, up, down, and internet activity lights.. hopefully shaw comes out with a docsis 3.1 stand alone broadcom based modem like the Arris SB8200 or Netgear CM1000
corbin

corbin

You can see that status, and channel status, levels, and stats in the modem UI.

I thought the lack of LED indicators would be rough, but it hasn't really mattered.

tallguy11
Lamont, AB
ARRIS TG3482
(Software) pfSense

tallguy11

said by corbin:

You can see that status, and channel status, levels, and stats in the modem UI.

I thought the lack of LED indicators would be rough, but it hasn't really mattered.

ya u can if u are shaw and if u have it in router mode (would never do this!)the only way i would use this modem is in pure bridge mode.. hence why a stand alone modem would be nice to have
corbin

corbin

said by tallguy11:

ya u can if u are shaw and if u have it in router mode

You don't have to be Shaw, and it has a bridge mode in the UI. It's cloud based, so the modem's CPU is still online and talks to the management cloud. It's like a passthrough, I suppose, but I don't notice any difference to my previous Hitron in bridge mode. You can still access the UI if you communicate with the right IP address though.

Did I mention IPv6?

tallguy11
Lamont, AB

2 recommendations

tallguy11

cloud based... Strike 3 your out! that thing will never set foot in my house! again why cant shaw just provide us a modem..or allow us to purchase our own docsis 3.1 modem like the cable providers do in the USA
corbin

corbin

My house is full of cloud-powered devices, like Ring, SmartThings, Wink, Logitech. I guess I don't have this aversion.

tallguy11
Lamont, AB

4 recommendations

tallguy11

i just believe that some things shouldn't be cloud based.. a major piece of hardware like a modem does not need to be connected to the cloud.. that opens up your network to all sorts of problems..
bigfcknnub
R2R 1J3

bigfcknnub to corbin

to corbin
Shaw is live with IPv6?
Expand your moderator at work
molfert
join:2002-02-19
Calgary, AB

molfert to tallguy11

to tallguy11

Re: Arris XB6 Advanced Modem/Router

said by tallguy11:

cloud based... Strike 3 your out! that thing will never set foot in my house! again why cant shaw just provide us a modem..or allow us to purchase our own docsis 3.1 modem like the cable providers do in the USA

Only the USA does this and it causes issues and it is regulated. Customers have issues with modems and the cable providers say buy a different one. Shaw controls the types of modems to try to ensure they all work with their system. All Canadian operators work this way.

Yuno
Winnipeg, MB

1 recommendation

Yuno to corbin

to corbin
said by corbin:

said by bigfcknnub:

Great work Shaw =) I personally like the appearance of the new gateway, more modern.

With Wave 2 802.11AC and an 8x8 MIMO 5G radio, this thing is meant to be put prominently in the middle of your home, or as close to where you mostly use wifi as possible. So they designed it to not look horrible if it's sitting above the fireplace, or next to your TV, or on a shelf.

So it doesn't look like a giant spider like Asus units with 1,000,000 large antennas.

my netgear r7800 with ddwrt walks all over this puma toy.
corbin

1 edit

1 recommendation

corbin to bigfcknnub

to bigfcknnub
On the new modem.

Yuno
Winnipeg, MB

Yuno

said by corbin:

On the new modem.

but is that WAN ipv6? do ipv6 sites work? youtube etc
corbin

1 edit

corbin

said by Yuno:

said by corbin:

On the new modem.

Yes. It's public IPv6.

The modem gets a /56. I'm in bridge mode and having my Ubnt EdgeRouter 6 POE pull down a /48.

ipv6-test.com:

Yuno
Winnipeg, MB

Yuno

said by corbin:

said by Yuno:

said by corbin:

On the new modem.

Yes. It's public IPv6.

The modem gets a /56. I'm in bridge mode and having my Ubnt EdgeRouter 6 POE pull down a /48.

ipv6-test.com:

hows the local latency to the modem? could u post the results u get from the puma 6 test from DSLR?
corbin

corbin

I can't ping the modem, I'm in bridge mode and not IPed to the same subnet. I'm also behind an EdgeRouter.
molfert
join:2002-02-19
Calgary, AB

1 edit

molfert to humanfilth

to humanfilth
Edit: My tests have errors in them and need to fix them.
Datalink
Premium Member
join:2014-08-11
Ottawa ON

Datalink

Premium Member

What modem is that? Personal opinion, all of those plots are higher than they should be.
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

1 recommendation

ravenchilde

said by Datalink:

What modem is that? Personal opinion, all of those plots are higher than they should be.

The thread is titled Arris XB6
« Shaw Freerange TV[ALL] XB6 Question »
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 ... 6 · 7 · 8 · next