uniqs

Pacomartin
join:2013-03-18
Bethlehem, PA

2 edits

Pacomartin

TiVo ?Next-Gen Platform

»business.tivo.com/produc ··· platform

TiVo’s portfolio of cable clients in the U.S. includes Altice USA, Mediacom, Atlantic Broadband, Cogeco, Armstrong, GCI, Atlantic Broadband, RCN, Grande and Wave Broadband.

TiVo has debuted an app-based platform targeted to global MSO market. It will leverage TiVo’s emerging cloud-based infrastructure and new user interface, allowing cable operators a range of content delivery solutions as they migrate from pure QAM architectures.

MSOs can stream video content directly over the internet to smartphones, smart TVs and third-party over-the-top devices including Apple TV and Amazon Fire TV. They can also deliver video over managed network to IPTV or hybrid-QAM-based set-tops powered by Linux and Android TV. TiVo is developing a client that will run on a operator-managed Android TV-powered set-top.

If RCN would comment with any practical advice, I would appreciate. It sounds like our minis and our DVRs could be replaced with commercial devices (like Amazon Fire). Should we migrate from Roku to Amazon for instance?

NikAmi
join:2009-09-12
Washington, DC

NikAmi

You're assuming that RCN even goes along with this. Given how the cable companies were against similar technologies like AllVid, I don't have much hope for this service taking off.

Pacomartin
join:2013-03-18
Bethlehem, PA

3 edits

Pacomartin

Click for full size
TV w Pace Mini: ethernet
said by NikAmi:

You're assuming that RCN even goes along with this.

The RCN technician that I spoke with said they were getting new boxes at the end of March. I asked if they were going to bypass CableCARD and he mentioned that the local RCN had about 100,000 CableCARDs.

I suppose it depends if equipment leasing is a significant source of income to the cable company. I laughed when my friend told me that she was being charged $10 apiece monthly for leasing two standard definition Motorola DCT700s which were manufactured in 2006 and cost RCN roughly $80 apiece.

Cable service has to compete with streaming services today. If cable is delivered via IPTV instead of QAM that will go a long way. Presumably if there are no cable cards it will be easier to collect money from children who will pay to watch a recent movie on their phone outside of their parents home.

I am sort of under the impression that cable companies want to be more involved in the game playing market.

The current setup seems unnecessarily complicated.