how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

quazg0d

join:2001-07-10
Pickering, ON

Questions about Rogers Hi-Speed Lite

I currently have the Hi-Speed internet at $44.94 a month, but I'm a student and I'd rather save $20 by getting the Roger's Hi-Speed Lite package. I have a few questions about it because I'm really thinking of switching over.

At the Rogers' website they already tell me that What will change:
- 1 e-mail address (Reg. 7 e-mails)
- no webspace (Reg. 10meg webspace)
- no VIP 10% discount (Reg. you get the discount)

So my questions are:
- Is the speed going to decrease if I get the Lite package? If so, by how much?
- Will I have to completely re-install and/or get a technician?

I'm mainly worried about my download speeds. I'm getting an average of 45 kps on large files, I hope that doesn't change that much.
[text was edited by author 2002-05-01 16:10:54]

elusion
Premium
join:2001-10-25
Scarborough, ON

First of all, not all customers get the discount, You have to have the VIP package. And the speed do decrease, the advertised speed for Rogers Hi-Speed Internet Service is 3000 kilobits download, 384 kilobits upload. In other words, 375 kilobytes down/48 kilobytes up. You are only getting 45 kilobytes down( which is bad). THat is not your question at this time so I will continue. Rogers' lite speed service is advertised at 128 download/64 k download. In other words, 16 kilobytes down/8 kilobytes up. It's up to you to decide which one you would rather, if you can afford the Rogers HI-speed service, take it, and tweak it. IF you are still not getting atleast 180 kilobytes, cancel it:). Save your money. 45 kilobytes is crap. even though 16 kilobytes is too, but atleast you will be saving your 20 dollars.
To downgrade to the lite service, you will not require a technician or uninstalling anything, even though you should not have anything installed at the moment. they will simply send the software(or whatever you want to call it) to your modem, and tell you to power cycle it. And there...you are done. That is what I was told. Nothing different, just speed.

OLDb34tBoX
Premium
join:2001-03-07
reply to quazg0d

I hope This helps.

The pricing is a bit more than $20, If your a student, you should look into Netzero, its a free Dial-up service.
But if your really that worried about download speed, I wouldn't recommend Dial-up or the Rogers Lite service.
I'd say your stuck between a rock and a hard place.
--
"That Tommy Hilfiger pose, can't block my verbal flows." - Tachichi

elusion
Premium
Scarborough, ON
reply to quazg0d

B34tbox, he has been there already.

OLDb34tBoX
Premium
reply to quazg0d

I didn't just post the link you know.

quazg0d

Pickering, ON

Thanks a lot for your help. The last thing I want is a dial up connection. Yuck!! However -- I am looking into tweaking my cable because my download speed is total GARBAGE!

Plus, my pings in counter-strike have spiked up to 200 on a consistant basis within the last couple days. What's up with that?

OLDb34tBoX
Premium
reply to quazg0d

Please post a tweak test, line quality test, and speed test, to help us help you better.
--
"That Tommy Hilfiger pose, can't block my verbal flows." - Tachichi

quazg0d

Pickering, ON

Here's my speed test at 3:36pm EST

»/speedtests/51···orts.com

OLDb34tBoX
Premium
reply to quazg0d

That's with the Rogers High Speed Edition line?..

quazg0d

Pickering, ON

Yeah

elusion
Premium
Scarborough, ON
reply to quazg0d

Have you tried ADSL?

quazg0d

Pickering, ON

I tried Sympatico Hi-Speed edition almost a year ago, but that was only trial. At the time, @home was better :\

elusion
Premium
Scarborough, ON
reply to quazg0d

lol. well let's try tweaking your cable, as b34tbox said, please post a tweak test, and soem speed test from nyc.speakeasy.net. Also do a line quality test, to let us know if your line is good or not.
--
----life is like a box of chocolate..you never know what you might get out ---

elusion
Premium
Scarborough, ON
reply to quazg0d

u said u want links quazgod, what links?
jus do the tests, then we can tell u what to do please. Thank you.
--
----life is like a box of chocolate..you never know what you might get out ---

Wow_Cant see

@sprint.ca
reply to quazg0d

»www.shoprogers.com/Store/Cable/I···opperID=

it has all the info for rogers hi-speed lite

Rorek

join:2002-04-26
Toronto, ON
reply to quazg0d

That's horrible speeds, try tweaking it, if that doesn't help contact Rogers.. from what the guys on the phones have told me that if you're getting over 100KB/s they won't do anything, but if it's under they will.. Call them up and have them run their tests, there could be something wrong with the line coming into your house, or your modem.