Search similar:

uniqs

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

Anyone know what modems they are going to use with the IPTV ?

Does anyone know what modems Rogers is going to use with their IPTV service that is supposed to launch this year?

Morty
join:2017-02-03
canada

Morty

If I had to guess and you mean the IPTV box (maybe you mean the actual internet modem, which should still be a hitron), it would be one of these boxes to deliver the IPTV service

»forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1 ··· /2860183

metalhawk
join:2007-02-06
Nepean, ON

metalhawk to donoreo

to donoreo
I read a rumour that it would be an Arris modem. Take that with a grain of salt though.
chrismcpole1
join:2011-04-17
North York, ON

2 recommendations

chrismcpole1 to donoreo

to donoreo
There you go, everything you need to know and see

»forums.redflagdeals.com/ ··· 29056919

Anon00f6f
@2607:fea8.x

Anon00f6f

Anon

Hint: There isn't going to be anything beefy. The new STB is a cloud-based PVR, so expect it to be small.
chrismcpole1
North York, ON

chrismcpole1

the hd boxes are small (and wireless), and require a bigger wired PVR (photos in the link above, both new grey box and the old black one). So still behind fully wireless TV from Bell. Really, cmon, Robbers are so cheap they are not even going to give you X15 remote, but instead will issue x11,which has already been discontinued by comcast. And you expect a miracle out of the blue? No, hardware-wise it will be previous generation comcast that is already partially phased out. rogers is 2-3 years behind comcast on adoption rates. The only saving grace for the clusterfuck that is robbers service nowadays is that they are giving out discounts left and right and are 50% cheaper than bell ftth in many cases.

Anon90738

Anon90738

Anon

said by chrismcpole1:

the hd boxes are small (and wireless), and require a bigger wired PVR (photos in the link above, both new grey box and the old black one). So still behind fully wireless TV from Bell. Really, cmon, Robbers are so cheap they are not even going to give you X15 remote, but instead will issue x11,which has already been discontinued by comcast. And you expect a miracle out of the blue? No, hardware-wise it will be previous generation comcast that is already partially phased out. rogers is 2-3 years behind comcast on adoption rates. The only saving grace for the clusterfuck that is robbers service nowadays is that they are giving out discounts left and right and are 50% cheaper than bell ftth in many cases.

Rogers has already stated that they will be using a cloud based PVR in their investor releases, not bulky ones. (The new STB doesn't link to a larger PVR because it's all recorded to the cloud. Dave (former Network Architect even confirmed this in the Rogers forums). They even showed the STB they will be releasing, and the link above doesn't show the actual picture. The person in the link above is speculating.

There's a post showing the picture of the new STB on the Rogers forums, and please, stop spreading misinformation and do your research instead.
chrismcpole1
North York, ON

chrismcpole1

Dave said it's a hybrid solution and even he was speculating. If you expect rogers to have everything in the cloud, you should wake the hell up and imagine all the capacity it would require.

PS. Rogers IR is showing the wireless Pace HD box. The post at RFD also shows the actual wired PVR (v1 and v2). It's not a secret info, Comcast customers have been using this crap for months now.

PPS. You know nothing, John Snow...

Morty
canada

2 edits

Morty

If you take a look at shaw's current offerings, you can see exactly what box and remote Rogers may use...

Including the voice control remote that nobody will use, because voice control is the ultimate gimmick, that Joe "The Jabroni" Natale keeps blabbering about in quarterly shareholders meetings

»community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-9889

Anoncb145

Anoncb145 to chrismcpole1

Anon

to chrismcpole1
said by chrismcpole1:

Dave said it's a hybrid solution and even he was speculating. If you expect rogers to have everything in the cloud, you should wake the hell up and imagine all the capacity it would require.

PS. Rogers IR is showing the wireless Pace HD box. The post at RFD also shows the actual wired PVR (v1 and v2). It's not a secret info, Comcast customers have been using this crap for months now.

PPS. You know nothing, John Snow...

Chris, take a look at their 2018 investor presentation- they're advertising it as "All-IPTV", which means that everything will be in the cloud, as Dave already mentioned. I understand your skepticism though.

All I can say is that you will be pleasantly surprised.

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo to chrismcpole1

Premium Member

to chrismcpole1
said by chrismcpole1:

If you expect rogers to have everything in the cloud, you should wake the hell up and imagine all the capacity it would require.

Rogers is beta testing with employees right now. It is all cloud.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
Rogers will no doubt be using IP to power channel guide, programming metadata, video on demand, and DVR functionality. This makes perfect sense an is a good first step for them, and it allows them to get the pricier hard disk equipped STB's out of the equation in favour of centralized and managed data centre storage as they roll out X1.

On the other hand, given their spectrum constraints, I'd be extremely surprised if they used IPTV for live television right now. The entire point of the X1 platform is it's hybrid in nature - you can flip from MPEG-2/QAM to IPTV channels transparently (as an end user) and never know or care what transport they're on.

We could be surprised, but I'm betting cloud/IPTV DVR, VoD, channel guide and full MPEG-2 QAM for live TV.

Either way, IMO Bell is still so much farther ahead on this and Rogers isn't even going to match a lot of the marquee Mediaroom style FibeTV features (wireless TV is the one most people switch for), nevermind where Bell is going to be able to take FibeTV as they move to MediaFirst.
SimplePanda

SimplePanda to chrismcpole1

Premium Member

to chrismcpole1
said by chrismcpole1:

That's what data normalization is for. One blob of data can service all customers vs. all customers maintaining separate copies.

Cloud DVR is quite practical and is clearly the future of this space. The only place it falls flat compared to traditional DVR is in the case of service outage (where you could still watch a local recording), but those are ideally rare anyways.
chrismcpole1
North York, ON

chrismcpole1 to Anoncb145

to Anoncb145
said by Anoncb145 :

they're advertising it as "All-IPTV"

Delivery method has nothing to do with hardware Btw it's a lie. All-IPTV solution is where they would like to get, not where they will start. Also Dave's old comment is very clear, which is - he has no idea, basically, and he speculates like anyone else.
said by donoreo:

Rogers is beta testing with employees right now. It is all cloud.

They have been for some time now. Saw one in action yesterday, very briefly. I was not impressed. It's the same comcast but with a weird software twist from rogers. And you know what it means.
said by SimplePanda:

Cloud DVR is quite practical and is clearly the future of this space.

Agreed, but roger is clearly not ready to embrace it now. They don;t have the resources. Comcast can't do it. Bell can't do it. They all have opted out for a hybrid solution. Then comes rogers, which has lost half a billion on developing their own iptv solution and eventually had to bend the knee and accept their comcast overlords. And we honestly expect a full cloud pvr from a company that has failed at everything cloud-related?! Shomi_ anyone? Can you name a single proper streaming app from rogers? No? me neither.

Food for thought.

Morty
canada

Morty

Sportsnet Now? Lol
If you minus the geoblocking....

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

Premium Member

to chrismcpole1
said by chrismcpole1:

Bell can't do it.

Bell has cloud DVR deployed already. It powers the DVR services for their Fibe TV apps (including Apple TV) and their web based TV serviced (tv.bell.ca).

I expect the 4K HDR STB that Bell is releasing (based on MediaFirst) to use the Cloud DVR as well.
said by chrismcpole1:

And we honestly expect a full cloud pvr from a company that has failed at everything cloud-related?! Shomi_ anyone? Can you name a single proper streaming app from rogers?

You're confusing things that Rogers has built vs. services Rogers has licensed.

It's more or less a matter of historical record that Rogers has always failed at building their own technology.

On the other hand, Rogers has become the largest MSO in the country by licensing and deploying other peoples technology.

Anon53354
@rogers.com

Anon53354 to donoreo

Anon

to donoreo
Looks like it’s getting closer to release »ignitetvdemo.rogers.com
dallas1
join:2014-04-16
Oshawa

dallas1

I can't access it

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda

Premium Member

said by dallas1:

I can't access it

Seems locked down to employees only right now.

That said, that's definitely the older XR11 remote in that image.

Morty
canada

Morty to dallas1

to dallas1
By blocking elements I was able to get into the site, but when I tried my e-mail it told me to contact my manager for access lmao

looks like a training tool or something
dallas1
Oshawa

dallas1

How you block it?
Pesterd
join:2013-01-22

Pesterd

ignite tv app also available in App store.

Morty
canada

1 recommendation

Morty to dallas1

to dallas1
With ublock origin installed you can block annoying elements on a website like login prompt overlays or those annoying ads etc
chrismcpole1
North York, ON

2 edits

chrismcpole1 to SimplePanda

to SimplePanda
said by SimplePanda:

XR11 remote in that image

Rogers Ignite TV Voice Remote
»www.urcsupport.com/wp-co ··· 1000.jpg

Shaw had it in 2016. Really disappointing, considering XR15 has been around for some time now.
Rogers feels more and more like a second-hand provider, which is 3 years late on everything but is dirt cheap ($25 for 500u to anyone who asks is only the beginning, the network is literally shitting on itself with noise and jitter everywhere in the Center of The Universe, aka North York).

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo to Anon53354

Premium Member

to Anon53354
said by Anon53354 :

Looks like it’s getting closer to release »ignitetvdemo.rogers.com

For employees who sign up, they are told it may be months before they actually get it, so it is not that close.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

2 recommendations

Premium Member

to chrismcpole1
said by chrismcpole1:

Center of The Universe, aka North York

Thus marking the first ever use of this particular sequence of words.

You know what they say, "If I can make it in North York, I can make it anywhere!"

Wait, what?
dallas1
Oshawa

dallas1 to Morty

to Morty
I'm using my phone

Morty
canada

Morty

That's difficult even with Firefox for mobile and ublock origin
There's nothing special on the site anyway, it's like a blank portal that leads nowhere for now
chrismcpole1
North York, ON

chrismcpole1 to SimplePanda

to SimplePanda
said by SimplePanda:

Thus marking the first ever use of this particular sequence of words.

Glad you keep the records.
said by SimplePanda:

You know what they say, "If I can make it in North York, I can make it anywhere!"

Perhaps, who am I to judge.
Also, I meant York Mills when I said North York
pwingert1966
join:2016-01-25
Toronto, ON

pwingert1966 to donoreo

to donoreo
There won't be any modem. It will be the same iptv box that Comcast is using.