All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
poweruhs
join:2002-05-03

poweruhs

Why is my Rogers slow???

Hi, I am from the Markham area(just north of Scarborough) and after tweaking my broadband like the site recommends, I saw some improvement but not as much as what I've read (shouldn't Rogers Cable in Ontario be like 3000 download?).
Here are my results.

2002-05-03 21:23:52 EST: 423 / 60
Your download speed : 423984 bps, or 423 kbps.
A 51.7 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 60240 bps, or 60 kbps.

I just want to know if these are the max speeds I can achieve.

Below is the link to my results from the tweak test. I put the advertised speed to be 3000 kbit/sec. I think that is right. I have Windows ME...anyways, any help?

»monitor.dslreports.com/t ··· a=normal

shudwein
OG
join:2001-10-12
Canada

shudwein

don't worry your not alone. The reason it's so slow because there are too much users in your area using cable so the "max" speed can not be achieved since there is so much data going on at the same time! I know how it feels with a fluctuating connection like the good ol looney!

travisc
join:2001-11-09
Uxbridge, ON

travisc to poweruhs

to poweruhs
Are you in a former Shaw area?

shudwein
OG
join:2001-10-12
Canada

shudwein to poweruhs

to poweruhs
i don't know about poweruhs, but i am in a former Shaw area

Exit

join:2001-04-10
Canada

Exit to poweruhs

to poweruhs
I think you could do with a lower Rwin. Even thought you aren't getting packet loss it couldn't hurt. I get speeds around this most of the time
»/speed ··· easy.net

My Rwin setting is only 36782.

I know to that there are still areas (many of them) that are not working as they should. You pings are a good indication of that.

Can you do a line test pls?
»/linequality

Steve

travisc
Uxbridge, ON

travisc to poweruhs

to poweruhs
From what I'm to understand, the former Shaw areas have been problematic. They need to be rebuilt, and Rogers is still working on that.

Exit

Canada

Exit

said by travisc:
From what I'm to understand, the former Shaw areas have been problematic. They need to be rebuilt, and Rogers is still working on that.
Yep. My area finally got the new fiber nodes that they are finally bringing in. Shouldn't be too long till everyone has them

Steve
erikleung5
join:2002-03-30
Scarborough, ON

erikleung5 to poweruhs

to poweruhs
I lived in the former Shaw area.
The speed was great last year, but it was totally screw up this year. I called , emailed to Rogers many times. They are never get the problem fixed.
Until last week, Their DHCP server was down.
I can't get the IP address from Rogers when window started.
The server was back the next day. But I got Only 56 K speed. So I called Rogers again. The phone support guy name "Chad" told me the "Ping" was really high. The value was supposed to be low. Then I said what are you going to do ? He said he will report to his boss to fix it.
You know what, It fixed in the day after.
My speed is back , I got 1.5M in most of the time, 700K-800K in the peak time.

My point are,
1. The problem can be fixed , depend on The support guy really want to help you or not.
2. Make sure called Rogers and get the ticket number , because they will give you credit as refund your money back if you asked , I got 2 months free in my case.
3 I got a new IP address when my window started. It was like
22.333.111.22 , and now is 22.333.444.555 , I got one more digit in the last, and the numbers are different. I 'm not sure what's that mean. But the problem fixed. (I'm not tell you guys my real IP address, the number are faked )

I want to thank Chad from Rogers for you big help.
poweruhs

poweruhs

Hey guys, thanks for answering so quick...
So yes, I am living in an former Shaw area so I guess that would explain the slowness

Should I lower my Rwin just like Crunch said? If so, how low should I go?

And here is my line test results
»/quali ··· l/749444

Anyways, it's really bothering me that I see someone getting over 2000 download speed while i get 400...
so any help is really appreciated!

travisc
Uxbridge, ON

travisc to poweruhs

to poweruhs
I'm not a tweak/line test guy, but that test looks absolutely brutal. Hold tight and someone who knows more will help you out, I'm sure.

Exit

Canada

Exit to poweruhs

to poweruhs
It is a rogers problem for sure. No amount of tweaking will help that.

Call them and tell them you are getting 100% packet loss at your first hop. Ask if they know of this and if not tell them the IP of it. Its your IP 24.***.***.1

Steve

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

beware the firewall

It appears that you are running a firewall ... beware that in debugging this, Rogers may well tell you to get rid of that.

Have you replaced your NIC or at least ensured that you have the very latest drivers for it.
poweruhs

poweruhs

Re: Why is my Rogers slow???

I guess i should call Rogers then...But Crunch, i'm not sure i would understand what i am telling them if i said i'm getting 100% packet loss at my first hop...
if i say that what would they do anyways?
And yes, i am running behind a firewall but when i did the tests, i disabled my firewall just so the ping tests will work...
The computer i am using now, i just bought about 6 months ago, so i think the drivers are the latest ones

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to poweruhs

Premium Member

to poweruhs
I am in the former Shaw are as well, and until February my area was totally screwed up as well, I'd get speeds below 1mbit and nasty pings. In February Rogers installed new boxes on my street to house the cable, replacing the old in-ground ones that were left from Shaw. The same day I noticed dramatic improvement, steady 2mbit and up. Has been great since. Well, everything has been great except the F!@#$% price increase in April heheh.... Now we just wait for the caps....
Brundle Fly
join:2000-10-01
Barrie, ON

Brundle Fly to poweruhs

to poweruhs
»/quali ··· l/750612

...I take this to mean my line is good?...

Exit

Canada

Exit

said by Brundle Fly:
»/quali ··· l/750612

...I take this to mean my line is good?...
Yepper. Nice and clean

Steve
KnightWolf
join:2002-04-12
L6T 05A

KnightWolf to poweruhs

to poweruhs
Rogers aint that bad, just the ul speed could b better!!!

»/speed ··· 20983663

»/speed ··· 20984979

Remember, im behind a firewall!
[text was edited by author 2002-05-09 19:07:39]

Heres another from Sympatico HSE
Test starting
Average throughput: 746 kilobits/sec
Total Time: 22373 milliseconds
Done.
[text was edited by author 2002-05-09 19:35:28]

green1074
Premium Member
join:2001-10-25
Scarborough, ON

green1074 to poweruhs

Premium Member

to poweruhs
Upload should be way better, king cobra, have you tried tweaking your connection,to try to increase your download?
KnightWolf
L6T 05A

KnightWolf

Hey, i did try to tweak, b4 my dl speed was only 50KB/sec (like bout 400kbps), but them my ul speed was a lil better (bout 75KB/sec... that bout 600kbps)... guesse u cant really win can u? if u have ne suggestions, plz let me know... thx!

my speeds have been all over the place, so... i think that rogers might be messed rite now

green1074
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

green1074 to poweruhs

Premium Member

to poweruhs
what rwin are you using?
KnightWolf
L6T 05A

KnightWolf to poweruhs

to poweruhs
its set @ 12000

btw im on XP PRO

green1074
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

green1074 to poweruhs

Premium Member

to poweruhs
hmmmm try 23360, that's what I am using.
KnightWolf
L6T 05A

KnightWolf to poweruhs

to poweruhs
omg, that made it slower!
»/speed ··· 20990030
KnightWolf

KnightWolf to poweruhs

to poweruhs
here is a speed test with my new settings:
»/speed ··· 21033906
»/speed ··· 21033940
»/speed ··· 21034088

and these r my settings:
[text was edited by moderator]

mau108
Mau
Premium Member
join:2001-10-07
Thornhill, ON

mau108 to poweruhs

Premium Member

to poweruhs
Try these setttings:

RWIN - 43800
MTU - 1500
TTL - 128
Max Dup Acks - 2
Black Hole - NO
Everything Else at Default.

And please post an updated tweak and speed test...