Cornstalkk
Premium Member
join:2001-12-17
Euclid, OH

Cornstalkk to tmpchaos

Premium Member

to tmpchaos

Re: Enter, and sign in please

Hello. My name is Rick and I am a recovering Winblows user/Technician. I currectly have had a FP iMac since March and believe I will NEVER go back to Windows. (Although I still work on them which is a given). If it wasn't for this website and the many people with experience here with answers I would probably still be lost trying to CTL+ALT+DEL in every situation I get in.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ

tmpchaos

Numquam oblitus

I see that we've had some more new people come in and post, who perhaps have not seen this, so...*bump*
Expand your moderator at work

mkcompu
Premium Member
join:2001-02-23
Wyckoff, NJ

mkcompu to tmpchaos

Premium Member

to tmpchaos

i have been using macs since before i was in school. first one ever was my dad's powerbook from his business (it had a trackball). i got a preforma 6220 in 3rd grade, powerbook 1400c/166 in 6th grade, IICI and g4/400 in 8th grade, and powerbook g4/667 soon. im n the process of acquiring a color classic too. and yes johnny, im upgrading the g4 to support Quartz Extreme (im going to get a 32 mb radeon or a radeon 8500).

i have all these macs (except for the old powerbook) and a plw NTR. during the summer, i may move them all into the basement. TX, i may crunch RC5 with the rig of oldies.

LowJack
join:2000-07-19
Seattle, WA

LowJack to tmpchaos

to tmpchaos

Hey, why hasn't TXLongHorn tried yet...

Do you guys know about RC5?
buckonator
join:2000-04-10
Marcus Hook, PA

buckonator to tmpchaos

to tmpchaos

My name is Buck, I am a reformed Mac user.

My computer daze started in high school with a TRS-80.
Later, in college, a roommate had one of the first IBM portables.
Then, another roommate had an apple II.
I graduated, went into the working world, used both Macs and PC's.
My first PC was a 286.
Then I bought a 486/Pentium/Pentium II - kept upgrading the durn thing to keep up with M$ updates.
Believed the hype - became an NT weenie.
Wanted one of the first "toilet seat" iBooks.
Settled for a Powerbook instead.
Replaced it with a TiBook.
Got X.
Got a G4 dualie.
Threw out PC.
Never looked back.
Amaze people at work with the TiBook, which runs rings around the Dull PCs we use.
X kicks butt.

Brendan
Warr Guitar
join:2000-07-14
Portland, OR

Brendan to tmpchaos

to tmpchaos
I'm Brendan, and I'm a die-hard Apple fan. Been using Apple computers since I can first remember; starting off in elementary school with Apple II's (II+, IIe, IIc, and a few IIgs') and eventually moving on to the Mac. My family's first home computer was an Apple IIgs, Woz edition. It was loaded for its day; has two 3.5 and 5.25 inch floppy drives, 1.25 megs RAM (woohoo!), Apple 12 inch color display, and ImageWriter II printer. My dad is a teacher, and uses it to this day for AppleWorks (the original, Apple II edition) and GradeBusters gradebook program.

We then got a Performa 6400/200 in 1996. Dad was going to use that for the Mac version of GradeBusters, until he found out his school district was going to charge him for it. He said, "To hell with that. I'll just use the IIgs." So, I was given the 6400, and used it for five years until I got my G4. At the end of its life, the 6400 had a 320 mhz G3 upgrade, maxed RAM (136 megs, I think), 10/100 Ethernet, and an ATI Nexus 128 video card.

I now have a PowerMac G4, dual 533, with 1.25 gigs RAM, GeForce3 graphics, two 7200 rpm hard disks- one stock 40 gig and one 120 gig for my studio, and a 24 bit analog/MIDI/digital audio input card.

My next purchase will be the G5 PowerBook.

Bryon
This space for rent
Premium Member
join:2001-07-23
Speedway, IN

Bryon to tmpchaos

Premium Member

to tmpchaos
Hi everyone, my name is Bryon (long-time lurker, first-time poster).

I sold Burroughs mainframe and mini-computer equipment in the early to mid 80s. Then along came PCs with terminal emulation. I learned CPM, then multiuser CPM, BTOS/CTOS, PC-DOS, and MS-DOS.

I went to pickup a custom cable one day and saw a Mac (512K-E) for the first time. Within 3 months, I went to work for a Mac reseller and stayed for 10 years. In that time, I had implemented hundreds of Appletalk networks with thousands of workstations (Apple IIe, IIgs, and Macs) to businesses and schools throughout the midwest.

I now manage the technology at a small, private PreK-12 school that is 90% mac-based. I also support all my family/friends' technology that I trickle down to them from my technology "investments".

Currently, my personal inventory consists of an G3/266 all-in-one (soon to be replaced with a SuperDrive iMac or tower), iBook466, my wife and daughter's iMac333, Gateway P4/Win2K Pro (see how the other half lives), SnapServer 1000 w/ mirrored 80Gbs (AFP, FTP, HTTP), and HP color laserjet 4500 all 100Mb switched throughout the house with comcast to the outside world.

Thanx for letting me drone on...
breal@mac.com

Tex Longhorn
45-35
MVM
join:2001-01-05
Luckenbach

Tex Longhorn

MVM

said by breal:

I now manage the technology at a small, private PreK-12 school that is 90% mac-based.
Visions of RC5 dance in my head.

Mauricio9
Premium Member
join:2001-12-04
Vancouver, BC

Mauricio9 to tmpchaos

Premium Member

to tmpchaos
Been around for a while, but maybe haven't introduced myself... here it goes.

I'm Mauricio, an Economics Ph.D. student, hopefully growing out of it within the next year. First computer was a TI 99-4/A, back in 1983, in Argentina, where I lived until 1998 and where we get all the technology with a two year lag at best. Next was a Lisa II modified to run Mac XL, followed by a Mac 512 expanded and a Mac Plus with a whopping 2.5 MB of ram and a maxed out SCSI chain. Had that for a few years until I took in a Performa 475 and a secondhand 6100/60, which I had to run without the cover and with an extra fan. After moving to Chicago in 1998 I got an original Bondi Blue iMac, which went to computer heaven during a thunderstorm (get those surge protectors!) and I now thrive happily on a G3 400 Mhz ruby iMac, with OS X and 640 MB of ram. Just hoping to become a prof at some school that will give me a fat research account to get that G5 TiBook...

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ

tmpchaos

Numquam oblitus

As one of my first 'official' acts, I decided to make this 'sticky', so that our new people can see it, and reply to it if they wish...

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO
ARRIS TG862
Cisco 2811
TP-Link Archer AX10

The Dv8or to tmpchaos

Premium Member

to tmpchaos

I never put my little bio on here

Okay, here's the dirt, because YOU wanted to hear it!

Hi, Im Mike, living in Danbury, Connecticut. I just turned 25 on April 13. I grew up in the Queens and Long Island areas of New York. Im sure you all are very familiar with what I do for a living (i.e. Stupid Mac Help Desk Calls of the Week posts), but for those who dont know, I am part of a call center for Pearson, a large publishing/media company. For just over 3 years now I am a proud and active member of Alcoholics Anonymous.

I own a Mac B/W G3, courtesy of donation from the JohnnyLundy I Feel Sorry For You Foundation. I also own a PC desktop that acts as a server, and a Dell laptop (yes, PCs, get over it). Ive owned a computer since I was 6 years old, starting out with a Commodore 64. I pretty much had the 64, and also this major antiquated Zenith "laptop" from the US Government. That puppy had an 8088 processor, a 2 color LCD screen, and was heavy as hell. The thing was built in 1982! However, the shocker was that it had a 1200 baud modem, and I was able to get into my shell acct using a telecom program that was built right into ROM on the board--no OS needed! In 1995 I got a Gateway (which I set fire to twice). The rest is history. Oh yeah, I forgot that I also had a Mac Plus for 6 something years.

Anything else you want to know? Just msg me!

MacThrasher
Premium Member
join:2002-04-26
Chagrin Falls, OH

MacThrasher to LowJack

Premium Member

to LowJack

Re: Hey, why hasn't TXLongHorn tried yet...

said by Phorte:
Do you guys know about RC5?
I have looked into it, but the only machine running OS X in my house right now, and that's my TiPowerbook. That is not always on and not always even at my home. When I go out to a client site, it goes with me.

Hmmm... maybe I can run it on my 8100/80 running 8.6?
sorry TXlonghorn

[text was edited by author 2002-06-26 10:56:16]

hyperjoe
Premium Member
join:2000-11-03
Gates Mills, OH

hyperjoe to tmpchaos

Premium Member

to tmpchaos

Joe
33 Male
Social Worker
Video/Design/Web

Imac 800 Flat P
2 PeeCees...yuck!

gota get to work!! Ciao
-hyper

JoshNJ
Premium Member
join:2001-12-25
Freehold, NJ

JoshNJ to tmpchaos

Premium Member

to tmpchaos
said by tmpchaos:
As one of my first 'official' acts, I decided to make this 'sticky', so that our new people can see it, and reply to it if they wish...

thumbs down!

Cornstalkk
Premium Member
join:2001-12-17
Euclid, OH

Cornstalkk to tmpchaos

Premium Member

to tmpchaos
G'Day mates! I used to work for a major PC Support/Sales company. I started skinning PC's about a year ago with Stardock apps, creating and converting OSX icons, with a web page dedicated to the skinning of PC's (»www.osxp.net)decided that skinning a PC and changing the icons would never replace the stability and actual functionality of a Mac. I quit my job and got a brand new Flat Panel iMac in March and have been OSX user ever since. Thinking about getting a 2nd Mac and networking them.
MacTech2
join:2002-01-16
Erie, PA

MacTech2 to tmpchaos

to tmpchaos
My name is Steve, I am a Sys Admin for a educational software company. Had the first Mac 128k delivered to Erie in 1984. Have owned many Macs and waiting to buy a faster G4 or G5, this summer. I also write Mac software, have since 1984 when I ported code I wrote on a TRS80.

Roundel
Blau Und Weiss
Premium Member
join:2002-03-24
Westport, CT

Roundel to tmpchaos

Premium Member

to tmpchaos
Im one of those new faces here,
My name is Sam, im 15, and i am a Mac and PC User, I like computers of everykind, so neither bothers me much, (except the BSOD) Right now I have three macs, 2 are old, they were my first computers. an LC II and a Performa 6300. But i am giving to a home they will be happy in, Quarex's. I have an original Imac, 233 mhz, with the original blueish color, its a nice little system, i use it for seti and as a second computer, Needs more memory though, a litte sluggish on 32 MB. I would relly like to get a new Emac or Imac. But cant afford it right now, saving up for a Monster Gateway system. maybe next year, i will be around the forum asking stupid questions, so see ya there.

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO
ARRIS TG862
Cisco 2811
TP-Link Archer AX10

The Dv8or to MacTech2

Premium Member

to MacTech2
said by MacTech:
My name is Steve, I am a Sys Admin for a educational software company. Had the first Mac 128k delivered to Erie in 1984. Have owned many Macs and waiting to buy a faster G4 or G5, this summer. I also write Mac software, have since 1984 when I ported code I wrote on a TRS80.
I wonder if this guy's last name is Jobs or Ballmer.

elias
Premium Member
join:2000-07-24
Miami, FL

elias to tmpchaos

Premium Member

to tmpchaos
Hello,

I'm Elias, and I'm a PC user, that appreciates Macs as well.

I don't have a Mac right now, but if I could find a bare-bones one for cheap, I'd jump on it.

I mostly lurk, since I don't have too many Mac experiences to talk about, but that's okay.

I started using Apples in elementary school. We used to play games like Oregon Trail, Odell Lake, BC, etc. I learned how to do some programming in Basic, Graffix, and Logo Logic back then. That was back in the days of the Apple ][e and later the ][gs (had a 3.5" floppy drive).

Later, in 8th grade, I became an assistant to the newspaper editor, and worked on a Mac Performa with OS 7.5. It didn't take long to learn the OS inside-out, and I learned that Macs can indeed crash, but overall work pretty well.

Recently (a year ago already), I used one of the first Titanium Powerbooks, with Wireless LAN at a customer's house. I sat by his pool and configured his Netopia router from there.

-- Elias
[text was edited by author 2002-06-26 13:18:17]

neuronbob
Cavs NBA Champs 2016
join:2000-03-30
Bedford, OH

neuronbob to tmpchaos

to tmpchaos
I am an old, occasionally posting face. Happy to reintro myself, though! The sticky must be new here at DSLReports, it's a great idea.

I am a Mac guy from way back. I started out with an Atari 800XL in high school in the mid-'80s, but graduated to Macintosh with matriculation at Stanford in 1986. I've been hooked ever since. I have owned:

Classic II '93-'95
Performa (nee LC) 575CD
Performa 6110 (nee PM 6100/60)
Beige G3/266 (current home machine, upgraded to G3/468 MHz)
Lombard 333 (current office machine, upgraded to G4/500)
iBook 300 (wife's machine)
iMac G3/266 (current office machine, thinking of upgrading to new iMac)
Built my own WinAMD 1Ghz PC, which mainly sits in the corner and gathers dust, but works great when I choose to use it

I am a neurologist by trade and run my office totally on Macintosh, using MS Office X for patient reports, Filemaker Pro for OS X/Mobile for Palm to catalog patient visits, and Palm Desktop to carry my patient schedule with me. The "lime" (closer to apple green to me) iMac makes a great conversation piece with patients!

The best thing about using Macs is that I AM I.T.!! I haven't had to hire computer help, well.....ever! My office is even networked, and I did it for the most part myself! If Apple wants to profile current users in ads, they need to pick me!
[text was edited by author 2002-06-26 13:19:03]
MacTech2
join:2002-01-16
Erie, PA

MacTech2 to The Dv8or

to The Dv8or
said by The Dv8or:
I wonder if this guy's last name is Jobs or Ballmer.
Hey, now that Ballmer quip is insulting No, it is Crossman!
landon101
join:2001-07-02

landon101 to tmpchaos

to tmpchaos
I've had my imac for over a year now and i love it

jcallari
The future is unwritten.
Premium Member
join:2001-05-19
Verona, NJ

jcallari to tmpchaos

Premium Member

to tmpchaos
Here's an update to my story...

Since my May 4th post, I've added a 533 MHz G4 tower and a
17" Apple Studio Display CRT. Needless to say, I've totally
dumped my old Windows machine...

I'm going to Macworld NY with the Mrs., hoping to see some new
hardware introduced. Maybe I can convince my wife to let me
get one of those crazy 1 GHz Powermacs and sell the 533 on
eBay.

John

I'm now an addict.

JoshNJ
Premium Member
join:2001-12-25
Freehold, NJ

JoshNJ

Premium Member

said by jcallari:
Maybe I can convince my wife to let me
eBay.
Just sell her then use the money to buy the 1ghz, then you have 2 powermacs

jcallari
The future is unwritten.
Premium Member
join:2001-05-19
Verona, NJ

jcallari

Premium Member

said by JoshNJ:

Just sell her then use the money to buy the 1ghz, then you have 2 powermacs

I need to keep her around to take care of the baby... So, I can't
sell her.

John

Brendan
Warr Guitar
join:2000-07-14
Portland, OR

Brendan to jcallari

to jcallari
said by jcallari:
Maybe I can convince my wife to let me
eBay.

John

I'm now an addict.
I'll take the tower. What do you want for it?

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to tmpchaos

MVM,

to tmpchaos
Hey,

I'm not really that "new" here, but I'll put a little bio up.

My name is Dylan, and I've been using apple computers since the LCII. (ahhh, what joy it was to run Mac OS 6, or was it 7, on 4MB of RAM). I now have the following:

PowerMac G4 400 AGP (early model, sawtooth)
PowerMacintosh 9500/180 MP
Performa 6360/160
Ti Powerbook G4/667 (model JUST before the combo drive )
iMac 233 Rev B

I use OS X, 9, 8.6, BeOS, and a little Linux (waiting for YDL 2.3 to come out)

I have gone to the previous 4 MacWorlds (this will be my 5th) in NY. I also have about 50-70 apple posters (thank you eBay).

HotFries
Um, Some Space Please?
join:2001-12-02
USA

HotFries to tmpchaos

to tmpchaos

In a nutshell...

I'm a fun chic known here as "HotFries" and I'm passionate about IT and music. They are both battling for the top spot in my life. I have 6 years of IT consulting experience in PC Desktop & Networking technical support. Consulting has allowed me the opportunity to work at various companies from the Midwest to the Southeast. I've even independently consulted. Btw, I still love Novell NetWare and always will. I had fun supporting it at client sites so don't talk to me about NT/2000 servers! I'm itching to play with NetWare 6 Beta on an old server soon that I picked up. Sorry to digress, bad habit.

Since I haven't done hands on support in awhile, I've gotten a bit rusty so I'm constantly reading, asking questions and researching things to get back up to speed. I enjoy attending all types of seminars, especially those that are IT, music and electronics-related. I'm looking forward to another fun year at Networld+Interop this September, especially since Comdex will be a part of it.

I'm on ATM to lurk and learn but also help out when I can. I had a Mac IIvx many years ago and all I remember using on it was eWorld! It was fun while it lasted, I ended up selling it and bought an IBM Aptiva PC. I wished I had kept it to convert my vinyl to digital audio since I'm a "bedroom" vinyl DJ. Perhaps I'll pick up an old useful Mac for that purpose only and ask you nice people here on how to set it up. I've forgotten alot of the old Mac stuff. Nevertheless, the more I brush up, the more it's coming back. However, OS X is a new thang!

I'm planning to bring a new Mac & Cinema display into my life hopefully by years end, as OS X has definitely piqued my curiosity and I want in. I also wouldn't mind teaching new Mac owners OS X but of course I have to first know it inside and out.

Thanks for being such a great and welcoming forum!

HF

BellBoy
Steven Paul Jobs 1955-2011
Premium Member
join:2001-02-20
Los Angeles, CA

BellBoy to tmpchaos

Premium Member

to tmpchaos

I've used an Apple II, a circa 1987 Macintosh, and now I've just bought a used G3 Blue and White Tower and a 21" Studio Display.

I'm trying to wean myself off of Bill Gates' teat, but unfortunately my work environment is into Wintel like a bunch of heroin addicts.

I hopefully won't bore all of you with too many re-newbie questions, but it's good to know that this forum exists.

Thanks