how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Adelski

join:2001-11-11
Irvine, CA

Changing IP Address?

I thought the IP addresses assinged were dynamic. How come my Ip hasn't changed since I got it? Is there any way to force my IP to change?

michael06082

join:2001-01-18
Enfield, CT

try unplugging your modem to reset it. i think that does it
[text was edited by author 2002-05-04 15:59:47]

Skipdawg
The Original
Premium,ExMod 2001-03
join:2001-04-19
Mount Vernon, WA
reply to Adelski
Does not always work that easy either. Some dynamic IP's can stick with you for months at a time.

Are you having problems with your present IP?
--
Proud United States Navy Veteran.

RedReign

join:2001-01-01
Mesa, AZ
reply to Adelski
said by FerraroGtsr:
I thought the IP addresses assinged were dynamic. How come my Ip hasn't changed since I got it? Is there any way to force my IP to change?
It's not truly dynamic like COX said it is. Unfortunately your IP is tied to you PC or routers MAC address, that is why if you put a different network card in or a spoofed a machines MAC using you router you would get another IP. Another way is if your lease runs out and the DHCP server is running out of addresses to assign you could lose your IP to someone else if you machine or router was off. You could also get a different IP if you had an outage and they reboot the DHCP server too. I haven't gotten a new IP but once since the switch over and that was temporary because I got my other IP back a couple hours later.
--
Sorry no ... is @home right ... please leave a ... BEEP.

bskuared
It's Hip To Be Square
Premium
join:2001-12-02
San Clemente, CA
reply to Adelski
I got a new IP when I moved otherwise it has stayed the same.
--
2b or not 2b

RedReign

Mesa, AZ
said by bskuared:

There you go FerraroGtsr, you can move.
--

JoeR
Dude?

join:2001-06-01
Norfolk, VA
reply to Adelski
Well, here in Norfolk, VA, I think Cox is doing some "experimenting" with the network.

Since the transition (1/16 here) my IP stayed the same. Then, about 2 weeks ago, not only did my IP address start changing often, but also the subnet and gateway. Still going on. Speeds have also gotten inconsistent since this started (they were more consistent when the IP was staying the same).

My modem & router stay on, too.
--
Gimme one good reason why the world should kiss your butt?

beefcake122

join:2001-03-24
Tucson, AZ
reply to Adelski
I was on the phone with Cox, fixing an email problem on my second computer, when the Tech. discovered both my computers were on the old Cx****** numbers. I asked him, "so, whats the difference?". He told me, that as long as your on the old @home Cx***** numbers, your IP is unlikely to change, because you are not on there new DHCP server.

I have noticed that my IP has been the same ever since the transistion to Cox.net, and it hasen't changed. I don't know if the tech. knew what he was talking about, but it sounded reasonable. He told me that this probably happened because they had difficulties getting some folks transistioned over, so they left it, with the intention of returning and making the changes after things after they got caught up. He said that they are (on average) changing folks IP addresses every 24hrs but there goal is every 4 hours (if your on their DHCP server). He wanted to fix the issue with me being on the old Cx*** numbers, but hinted that I could go down for a while, because he suspected they had issues switching me over in the first place. I told him "not right now, I will do this after work". He said ok, and I was to call them in the evening to make the switch. I decided when I got home, that it wasn't worth it so I never called to make the change. My feeling is, yes staying on one IP all the time is less secure (like my old DSL) but if it ain't broken why fix it?

This seems very wierd because I sucessfully made the change on-line months ago, so I don't get it.

Scott

cablejoe

join:2002-01-15
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Adelski
If you can change the MAC address of your NIC, you should be able to pull a different IP address; go into your Network Properties and double click on the ethernet adapter...then click on the advanced tab. If there's a setting for "Hardware Address" , type 12 digits in there, then reboot. (It uses Hexadecimal numbers....0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,a,b,c,d,e,f)

bskuared
It's Hip To Be Square
Premium
join:2001-12-02
San Clemente, CA
reply to RedReign
said by RedReign:
said by bskuared:

There you go FerraroGtsr, you can move.

LOL!
--
2b or not 2b

Adelski

join:2001-11-11
Irvine, CA
I moved and I still didn't get a new ip, but how would I go about changing the MAC of the NIC. I have a Linksys LNE100TX(v5). I tried to change it the way cablejoe said but couldn't find out how.

RedReign

Mesa, AZ
said by FerraroGtsr:
I moved and I still didn't get a new ip, but how would I go about changing the MAC of the NIC. I have a Linksys LNE100TX(v5). I tried to change it the way cablejoe said but couldn't find out how.
I don't think cheapy network cards give you this option. Here is a webpage that explains it for Windows 2000 »www.jsiinc.com/SUBG/TIP3000/rh30 ··· 3020.htm

I haven't tried adding the key in my registry to change it since the card software doesn't let me do it. Try doing a search on google for "change nic mac address".
--

some_d00d

@accelrys.com
reply to Adelski
Before the change to cox.net I had the same IP for nearly 2 years. I have had the same IP since the change as well. Loved the warning we got on that change, my connection was down for 45min because I couldnt figure out what it was. Finally rebooted my router and it pulled a new ip.

The other guy is right though, if you want to change your ip you need to change your mac. Do you mind me asking why you want to change it?

CoxEngineer

join:2002-05-10
Oklahoma City, OK
reply to Adelski
Here's the deal. Resetting your modem has nothing to do with whether or not your PC gets a new IP via DHCP. As long as you renew your IP address within the lease period (Cox Std. is 24hrs), the DHCP server will give you the same IP address. If you've left your computer off for over a day, tbe lease will expire and the DHCP server will be able to give that IP to someone else. But, it is round-robin so just because you gave it up that doesn't mean it will get handed out. And if you come back on before it does, you'll get it again because it "remembers" you. Anyway, that's just the way it works...

BTW, do you want your IP to change?

beefcake122

join:2001-03-24
Tucson, AZ
reply to Adelski
Mine hasen't changed since the begining of Cox.net, and it's been stable and reliable, so I'd like it just the way it is.