uniqs

nipseyrussel
Nipsey Russell, yo
join:2002-02-22
Philadelphia, PA

1 recommendation

nipseyrussel

"LTE" display on iPhone vs "verizon"

as i sit here at work and look at my iPhone 8, the display in the upper left has 2 sad bars, "verizon" and the wifi symbol. In happier times it will display "LTE". I am fairly certain it has displayed at least one other network name (if that the right way to describe it), but i cant recall what that was. I kno very little, but I know that "LTE" should be the best.
1, What am i on when it just says "verizon"
2, are there other possible names here on verizon? if so, can you tell me all of the possibilities and how they rank? (edit) perhaps you can tell me speeds associated with each incl LTE and Verizon?

thanks!

Branch
:D
Premium Member
join:2014-07-22
VHO 4
Greenwave FiOS-G1100
Actiontec WCB6200Q

1 recommendation

Branch

Premium Member

said by nipseyrussel:

as i sit here at work and look at my iPhone 8, the display in the upper left has 2 sad bars, "verizon" and the wifi symbol.
1, What am i on when it just says "verizon"

this means you're on wifi, vs the Verizon network
said by nipseyrussel:

2, are there other possible names here on verizon? perhaps you can tell me speeds associated with each incl LTE and Verizon?

wifi speeds depend on your internet provider. LTE speeds depend on tower you're connected to and phone model, anywhere from 5mbps to 75+mbps
you may occasionally see VZW instead of Verizon, it's the same thing
Arm
join:2018-05-22
Bel Air, MD

1 recommendation

Arm

Any idea what VZW means? Seen it on a friends iPhone 8

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4

1 recommendation

Branch

Premium Member

said by Arm:

Any idea what VZW means? Seen it on a friends iPhone 8

VeriZon Wireless. Same as Verizon.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

2 recommendations

Smith6612 to Arm

MVM

to Arm
Display bug. Still means Verizon, but that should only be seen on phones with the stupid notch.

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4
Greenwave FiOS-G1100
Actiontec WCB6200Q

1 recommendation

Branch

Premium Member

said by Smith6612:

Display bug. Still means Verizon, but that should only be seen on phones with the stupid notch.

I see it on my iPhone 8. it has nothing to do with notch, everything to do with which tower (according to VZW Twitter)

nipseyrussel
Nipsey Russell, yo
join:2002-02-22
Philadelphia, PA

1 recommendation

nipseyrussel to Branch

to Branch
thanks. Haha, too funny! I Never noticed that the LTE goes away when i am on wifi. I just turned off wifi (altho i am at home now, not work) and see that the wifi symbol goes away and is replaced by the LTE. Is LTE the only thing that will display when i am not on wifi? I am pretty sure not, as i know i have not seen LTE when in remote places but still have some service. So i still have the same question.

LTE is voice/wireless, right? so then i am confused by the LTE replacing the wifi symbol, as the LTE will still carry voice.

Phooey
join:2015-08-27
·Mediacom

1 recommendation

Phooey

This has less to do with being on WiFi and more to do with your phone having WiFi Calling enabled. All modern iPhones support WiFi Calling. If you have WiFi Calling enabled on an iPhone (Settings > Phone > WiFi Calling), when you connect to a WiFi network the network status area (top-left) will show "VZW WiFi". If you disable WiFi Calling, the network status will just show "Verizon".

Even if you have a strong LTE connection, voice will still be carried over WiFi if WiFi Calling is enabled and you are connected to a capable WiFi network.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

1 recommendation

Smith6612 to Branch

MVM

to Branch
Hmm. I've seen that flip back and fourth regardless of tower or Wi-FI Calling on the iPhone. I know that "VZW" was put in by Apple to help make it display within the boundaries of the notch, since "Verizon" was too long. But as to why the phone flips back and fourth and why it only started after the iPhone X launched suggests it's more likely a bug.

Prior, I know that "VZW Wi-Fi" would show up when Wi-FI calling was enabled and in use.

Phooey
join:2015-08-27
·Mediacom

1 recommendation

Phooey

"Verizon" by itself is not too long. It fits just fine on my iPhone X. It only shows "VZW" if WiFi Calling is enabled, making the status area say "VZW WiFi".

WiFi Calling on

WiFi Calling off
brad152
join:2006-07-27
Chicago, IL

3 recommendations

brad152 to nipseyrussel

to nipseyrussel
I fly around for work, and sometimes the tower just broadcasts "VZW" instead of "Verizon" i've yet to find a rhyme or reason, as sometimes it's within the same city i can see both.

I've never worried much about it, as my phone usually still works under both.
ddennis002
join:2017-03-12
Golconda, IL

1 recommendation

ddennis002 to nipseyrussel

to nipseyrussel
Just FYI if anyone cares you can connect to Wifi with an iPhone and route you internet traffic through your cellular connection and still beable to use local network for file shares ect. Just have to static set your IP and Subnet on your wifi leave Default Gateway and DNS blank. This will result in the phone showing normal connection in status but if you go into settings you will be connected to your wifi network for people that might require this. I use this config at work due to there slow internet connection. But i still need to get files off the servers and view real time production data while on the floor.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

5 recommendations

Mike Wolf to Branch

to Branch
When I’ve asked a friend in the engineering department, they claimed it sometimes occurs on new LTE only (no CDMA) towers and small cells.
It also seems occur sometimes when a device attaches to LTE band 5. »www.howardforums.com/sho ··· 16967090

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4
Greenwave FiOS-G1100
Actiontec WCB6200Q

2 recommendations

Branch

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

When I’ve asked a friend in the engineering department, they claimed it sometimes occurs on new LTE only (no CDMA) towers and small cells.
It also seems occur sometimes when a device attaches to LTE band 5. »www.howardforums.com/sho ··· 16967090

This to me would seem to boil down to new towers being VZW and older ones being Verizon.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf

I’d love to hear if others are seeing the same thing.

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4

1 recommendation

Branch

Premium Member

I do see VZW occasionally.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf

Like in the picture I posted? Just “VZW”, not “VZW Wi-Fi”?

Is it VzW or VZW, and what phone do you see it on?

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4
Greenwave FiOS-G1100
Actiontec WCB6200Q

1 recommendation

Branch

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

Like in the picture I posted? Just “VZW”, not “VZW Wi-Fi”?

Is it VzW or VZW, and what phone do you see it on?

I’ve seen all of these except VZW Wi-Fi as I don’t use WiFi calibg

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf

Next time could you take a screenshot? Also what phone are you using and is VoLTE enabled?

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4

1 recommendation

Branch

Premium Member

iPhone 8 volte on.

I can take one next time but it’s reallt the same as Verizon it just says VzW.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf

Ah very cool. Same here. What’s the PRL and Carrier version if I may ask?

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4

1 recommendation

Branch

Premium Member

Not sure I’ll check later. I always hit update whenever it asks so I’m sure it’s the latest version. It all depends on tower though at least that’s what VZ told me.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf

Looking forward to it. I’ve not had the fortune of seeing this myself. I wonder if it also occurs on Android devices.

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4
Greenwave FiOS-G1100
Actiontec WCB6200Q

1 recommendation

Branch

Premium Member

Here it is

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf

What LTE band are you on, and the PRL and Carrier version?

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4

1 recommendation

Branch

Premium Member

Carrier 35.0.2 band 2

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf

Thank you. Same here. And PRL?

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4

1 recommendation

Branch

Premium Member

I don't see that listed

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf

Tap “Carrier” once. Also what’s the ERI? Tap twice.

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4

1 recommendation

Branch

Premium Member

15595 , 8