spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ritz8

join:2001-10-31
Young America, MN

New limits with HSE..Whats this mean for Rogers?

Im a bit worried...HSE announced that they are going to put limits on download and upload...Whats this mean to rogers? Is the same thing going to happen? And is there any alternatives to Rogers? maybe a different cable company or a different DSL provider?

Thanks

mau108
Mau
Premium
join:2001-10-07
Thornhill, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
Yes, the same thing will happen, acutally its already in affect but its not as strict yet...

All providors will be incuring caps, no luck with finding other ISP's with no cap
--
•·.·´¯`·.·•MAU108•·.·´¯`·.·•

elusion
Premium
join:2001-10-25
Scarborough, ON
reply to Ritz8
The thing I hate about rogers, on the website, it says there is no cap. Why don't they just say if they are planning to implement caps or not. arghh. well its not in yet, so enjoy all you want. Sympatico has gone for sure, in june it will take effect, rogers hasnt enforced it as strickly. We never know, maybe Rogers is just making Sympatico inforce a capm and after steal the customers with the unlimited quota. hehehe. my imagination is going too far isnt it?
--
-In the game of broadband, sometimes you win some, sometimes you loose some-

Exit
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-04-10
Canada
reply to Ritz8
ISP's have to pay for bandwidth. I just saw somewhere that they pay about $1/gig. So if you pay $45 a month and use 100GB then you are making them lose money.

All ISP's have had caps all along. Now however all the former @home companies have to pay for their own bandwidth which means they are comin after all the bandwidth hogs.

Steve
--
18.98Ghz of Cancer killing power commin at yah.

Anon Tech2

join:2002-02-02
London, ON
If the ISP is paying $1/gig, and they charge you $8/gig for it, wouldn't most people consider that highway robbery?

Ritz8

Young America, MN
reply to Ritz8
So there are no alternatives?

Why is this happening...You dont hear alot of this happening in the US...Some ISP's have it but not all..This really stinks..Oh well..

travisc

join:2001-11-09
Uxbridge, ON
reply to Ritz8
But Ritz, most high-speed ISPs in the US suck. They make Rogers and Bell look wonderful in comparison.

pctechguy2

join:2001-10-07
Mississauga, ON
reply to Ritz8
Also some ISP's in the states charge more per month than Teddy and Ma Bell customers

Ritz8

Young America, MN
reply to Ritz8
Ya i understand that...But id rather settle with a lower speed and have unlimited bandwidth...Oh well...

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile

Re: New limits with HSE..Whats this mean for Roger

That's not the way it works!

Consider that running 24 hours per day, at 128Kbits/sec, you can still pull 1.2 GB per day ... that's 36GB per month. Now say you use 50% of that, it's still 13GB over the cap ... do you think they save that $13 per month for bandwidth by having you run more slowly ? Nope ... it's still the same equipment.

For the same fee, they'd still have to cap you.

Bunko Kanazawa
Bunko Country

join:2001-06-21
Canada
Where is the official statement that HSE will start capping? I told my uncle since he has HSE but he refused to believe me since he asked me for proof?=]

It kinda of sucks that capping will be implemented. I guess there is no way around it.
--
AMD Athlon XP 1600+, Asus A7V266-E w/RAID, Thermaltake Volcano 7 HSF, 512 DDR Micron PC2100 RAM, Enermax 350W (Dual Fans) PSU, ATI Radeon 64 DDR VIVO Retail, Windows XP Pro Build 2600, Rogers.com Broadband Service w/ Netgear RT314 Router

Bob Carrick
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2000-04-24
New York, NY
I can link you to all the articles with quotes from Bell? Also there is an article from Rogers today with very vauge quotes that they will be implementing their caps in the Summer now, not September. Either way all the article are archived here: »www.carricksolutions.com/cgi-bin···=SF;f=15
--
Bob --»www.carricksolutions.com - The largest PPPoE Help Website, including EnterNet, WinPoet, MacPoet, Access Manager, RASPPPoE, & Networking

Bunko Kanazawa
Bunko Country

join:2001-06-21
Canada
Thanks Bob. I found what I was looking for. I just broke the news to my family. They aren't very happy about it. Honestly, this will change everything in how people use the internet. I will be surfing the web or downloading a game demo while thinking about am I busting the cap? In the past even if I don't use up to 5GB per month, it wasn't something I worried about. Now its like using my cellphone, always scared to use it since I might go over my time plan and get overcharged. It blows. I guess its time to look for a new "thing" to do in life that was GOOD like the internet before.

How can I play online games without thinking about my cap? I don't want to surf the internet this way. I'm thinking of just switching to the LITE package and not even bother with the net other than using it for news, email and the ocassional MP3 download.

Its too bad. But I simply cannot afford paying $69.95 for the "Ultra" service. Not like I believe that my speeds will be as advertised.

Its a lost cause my friends...
--
AMD Athlon XP 1600+, Asus A7V266-E w/RAID, Thermaltake Volcano 7 HSF, 512 DDR Micron PC2100 RAM, Enermax 350W (Dual Fans) PSU, ATI Radeon 64 DDR VIVO Retail, Windows XP Pro Build 2600, Rogers.com Broadband Service w/ Netgear RT314 Router

burn0gas

@pmc-sierra.bc.ca
reply to Ritz8

Re: New limits with HSE..Whats this mean for Rogers?

Everyone, listen, this is all BS! Don't let the ISPs fool you into thinking it is costing them so much $. They use transparent proxy + cache servers. Everytime Mr. Jo refreshes or goes to CNN.com it doesn't even come from CNN. Their proxy downloads 1 copy and dishes that out to hundreds of users! I agree, there are programs that don't use the proxy, like Morpheus... but they even cache ftp sites like download.com!!! MOST of the data you get is coming from their proxy.

The reason Bell Sympatico is strapped for cash is because of the extremely poor management of BCE! Don't blame it on the users!

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile

And a proxy cache (if you actually use it) costs nothing to use ? And it costs nothing to route that data from the cache to you ?

Ask the US ISPs that have gone under or are now in bankruptcy protection if they believe in unlimited bandwidth.

The idea that moving data from a to b incurs nearly no cost, even within your own network is nothing but fiction.

Yes, proxies do save some money ... but one of their primary purposes is for speed. Guess what ... cnn.com updates their home page often enough that the proxy is nearly useless, and the advertising piccies on the pages are loaded fresh all the time from the server side ... not through the proxy.

Sam911$

join:2001-07-08
Ferndale, MI
The only thing that went out of business in the US were the dsl startups and @home who spent lavishly on stupid things. Comcast, SBC, and all the other cable companies aren't losing money. They are making a killing. This is just another case of corporations screwing the consumer. I would cancel my service and go back to dialup if I was capped to 5 gigs. There is no way I'd pay full $50 a month to be teased.

Bob Carrick
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2000-04-24
New York, NY
reply to Ritz8

Re: New limits with HSE..Whats this mean for Rogers?

Actually a lot of CLecs have also gone under and these weren't just DSL carriers, these where large Competitive Local Exchange carriers. The DSL model in the US plain out doesn't work. Cable companies of course are making a killing because they are not regulated in Canada or in the US. They do not have to resell their service unlike DSL etc.
--
Bob --»www.carricksolutions.com - The largest PPPoE Help Website, including EnterNet, WinPoet, MacPoet, Access Manager, RASPPPoE, & Networking

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile

Actually, even cable co's are struggling on their internet business from what I understand. A lot of Adelphia's problems are specifically from the Cable ISP business.

A lot are trying to still work out what's happening after the @home disappearance, hiding a lot of their losses on law suits. When those go by the board, and they have to work out a valid business model as they realize the current one is wrong, will have some surprises in their accounting. Remember Enron!

Remember that a lot of US cable operators are charging $50 to $70 per month for ISP service. Canadian operators are charging less than most US operators, and have a lot of US costs ... so they're cutting the cloth a lot tighter here.