how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

wsnowball

join:2001-06-25
Markham, ON

Help Sharing Rogers

Ok, I have a friend and she wants me to set up her internet share. She is using Rogers (of course!), one comp with Xp, the other with 98. I figured that she would prob have to buy a router and the cat5 cable, but after doing some research that looks very confusing to set up as far as IP addy's, DNS, subnet, etc and all that junk goes. What I was wondering is what if she just bought a simple hub, plugged the modem into the uplink, and then fired each comp into a port on the hub and then just bought a second IP from Rogers. Would that work?

Your answers and suggestions are much appreciated!

Exit
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-04-10
Canada

That would work but the router is much more simple and cost effective

In most cases all you have to do is plug in the router and pulg the modem into it. The plug the computers in and if you cant get an IP then clone the MAC address of the last network card that that had the IP. Or to make it simple. Before you unplug the modem for the one computer just release the Ip.

Go for the router. It will save her money in the long run

Steve
--
18.98Ghz of Cancer killing power commin at yah.

pctechguy2

join:2001-10-07
Mississauga, ON
reply to wsnowball

I use the inet share in Xp w/no proble. I have it lhooked from mdm to Xp machine (1st nic) then from 2nd nic to hub and my Xp machine handles the rest...just make sure you go thru the network connectio wizard to set up the ip's for the other computers

RedEyz

join:2001-12-10
Ottawa, ON
reply to wsnowball

I found a router is the way to go... and setting up a static network with a router is rediculously easy.

Synopsis of what I did with my Linksy BEFSR4.1 v2

Plug cable modem into router
plug PC's into router
Turn DHCP Function in router off
Let the router automatically get your IP from Rogers

PC1:
Manually change TCP/IP Settings
IP: 192.168.1.2
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1 [which is your routers internal address]
DNS1&2: The Rogers DNS Entries

PC2:
Repeat everything in PC1 step but make the IP address

Hello internet access. Saves your costs over time paying for additonal IP using a hub.