spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

RedEyz

join:2001-12-10
Ottawa, ON

Advertised download speeds... a few thoughts.

So I've been monitoring my download speeds lately.

I'm on the SLNT headend in Ottawa. Advertised speeds of 3000kbit/s right? I'm averaging 500 to 750, max. I have been watching this for 3 days, on and off peak. Today I found out that the DOCSIS compliant modems are being released in Ottawa [Ericsson Piperiders and I think Toshiba PCX 1100U]. Well, a friend of mine got a Piperider and he's avg. anywhere [this is steady as of yesterday and today] anywhere from 300 to 450 KB/s.

I called Rogers Tech and asked them if there was any way possible I could switch over to the DOCSIS Network seeing as my headend fully supports it [my friend is on the same headend]. The blatant answer was 'No.' - I calmly explained to the girl that I have done tech on DOCSIS Networks with Comcast and Roadrunner for over a year and I was enthusiastic about getting my chance at trying out the new technology [I hadn't mentioned my slow downloads yet, nor have I - I want some thoughts from you people first]. She still said that only new subscribers will be getting the fully DOCSIS Compliant modems. I asked her why and she has absolutely no answer for me except 'that's just the way it is'.

I wasn't very impressed with that answer, so I said to her that I have been a paying customer for 4 years.. paying the modem rentals and service fees and I feel that I should have a right to switch out my modem at any time I want. According to her I don't have that privaledge seeing as my modem is fully functional. What a load. I even offered to go to the Rogers Office on St. Laurent and pick it up and drop off my TeraPro. Still, the answer was no.

So... seeing as I am in the middle of the Rogers hierarchy of Cable modems [LANCity's (on the low end - first release)are better than TeraPro's (middle) and so it seems the Piperiders (new) are too] should I not be receiving a new modem to help increase my speeds? Should I call the customer retention center and demand a new modem? Should I wait 3 weeks until the 'Network team' decides to get off their lazy asses and do something about the ticket that I'll shortly be creating about my speed problems?

Thoughts?

Any help is appreciated.

skillton

join:2000-09-14
Scarborough, ON
just makeup a good lie about ur modem not working properly...

Tarek__khan

@cpe.net.cable.rogers
reply to RedEyz
my friend has fried his modem several times by pulling out and putting back the power wire from the back of the modem. i dont know how safe that is or how long it takes to do it.

elusion
Premium
join:2001-10-25
Scarborough, ON
reply to RedEyz
redeyz, thank you, you just inspired me for my next creative assignment. Will notify you when my mission has been fulfilled.
--
-In the game of broadband, sometimes you win some, sometimes you loose some-

xRAGEx

join:2002-02-18
Stoney Creek, ON
reply to RedEyz
just pay me a little and ill render your modem useless so u can get a new one

elusion
Premium
Scarborough, ON
reply to RedEyz
what are the rates xRAGEx? Is it in my price range?

xRAGEx

join:2002-02-18
Stoney Creek, ON
reply to RedEyz
$5 a whack
order 5, get one free!

elusion
Premium
Scarborough, ON
reply to RedEyz
too expensive for my blood, I think I can do it my self. I can use my sister's platform shoes.
--
-In the game of broadband, sometimes you win some, sometimes you loose some-

RedEyz

join:2001-12-10
Ottawa, ON
reply to RedEyz
Well - that's the thing... if I destroy the sucker I'll have to pay for it. I don't wanna do that.

I have enough bills as it is. As for this 'Mission Impossible'... heh heh heh. Shall we butt heads on this one? =)

I'm gonna keep monitoring my speeds for the next couple of days, again, and see what happens. Then I'm going to complain. Most of the techs I talk to are tools, and I can get them sweating in a matter of a few questions. As soon as they start to stutter is Team Lead / Supervisor time.

I'll get my modem. =)