spc
Search similar:

uniqs
rixor
join:2002-05-11
Scarborough, ON

rixor to RiXoR

to RiXoR

Re: After 5pm EST anyday = Super Ping Spikes...

They know there is a problem and refuse to admit it!!!

They keep telling everyone the same things and yet no one is fixing anything!

I was pinging at 500+ ping last night (9:30pm EST Sunday)

This is just crazy....

I ping my gateway and get 200 ping!!

train wreck
join:2002-01-26
Scarborough, ON

train wreck to RiXoR

to RiXoR
ask to speak to a supervisor and explain your problem to them. the tech support that you speak to first don't usually have access to the kind of info you want to know. this problem isn't just a recent thing, i can remember my cable being crap since the first week of june last year. i started emailing them around that time and all they have said is 'our network engineers are working hard on your problem'. as far as i know they haven't done anything.
drprat
join:2002-02-02

drprat

This is a major issue that is already being addressed by Rogers at the moment. They seem to be doing a MAJOR rebuild and segmentation in several areas mainly in the east (North Scarborough and possibly Markham). It's basically people who are using a Motorola modem as the phub that they are connecting to is far too congested. They've been working on this problem for a couple weeks now and by the looks of it, it could easily take another 3-4 weeks. A lot of work is involved (line upgrades, network equip, etc.) and permits seem to be slowing down the work (permits are needed for digging).

I, like most people here, am VERY PISSED off, but we can't do much. DSL isn't available in my area and I can't even consider dial-up.

ALL I CAN RECOMMEND (TO THOSE WHO ARE ACTUALLY EFFECTED BY THIS PROB) IS KEEP ALL THOSE TICKET NUMBERS WRITTEN DOWN AS YOU WILL NEED THOSE TO CLAIM CREDIT ONCE THE ISSUE IS FIXED. Trust me, they're ready to give the credit because it's a wide-area problem. Heck, I'm on my second free month right now!
glyph3
join:2002-02-12
Markham, ON

glyph3

What did you tell them to get credit ??

train wreck
Scarborough, ON

train wreck to RiXoR

to RiXoR
"I want credit for this month" is a good start.

If they see your connection is crap then they'll give you credit. In my case they told me I'd definitely get credit for a few months. If they give you trouble about it ask to speak to a supervisor.

Arghy
@sympatico.ca

Arghy to RiXoR

Anon

to RiXoR
I live in the mtmc area. I used to have Rogers. I cancelled it a while ago because I was fed up with the huge ping times. I had been after them over a year, when finally they got rid of @home and I said screw this. I couldnt even get through to them, I had busy signals even at 4 and 5 am.

I'm using DSL now, I have 10-13 ms ping to my gateway regular as clockwork. My pings to everywhere are fine.

I MIGHT come back to Rogers sometime, but only if they can guarantee me a non-Cybersurfr modem. That way I know my area has been fixed to use Docsis. No docsis, lost customer for life. Anyways Rogers is still having problems. Sometimes I watch a ton of Rogers people dump off irc at once. The DSL people always stay connected.

3M dsl services available in June, $60-70 a month, upload speed is 80 K/S. And you get ALL of that 80 K/S. It doesn't drop because little Johnny next door came home from school.

I own my own domain so it's easy for me to change isps if they suck, I don't have to tell people my new email address.That's why I can hop around if I want to.

train wreck
Scarborough, ON

train wreck to RiXoR

to RiXoR
Tech support told me they'll give docsis modems to new members and members whose modems are broken.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to train wreck

Premium Member

to train wreck
i would rather have a reliable service than one that requires me to call in and get credits. i don't know why they don't fix their problems right the first time around, all they are doing is pissing people off and losing more customers to their competition.
drprat
join:2002-02-02

drprat

This is where Rogers is smart AND dumb. Many customers, like Tarekh and I, are unable to use DSL as it is unavailable in our area. Customers like us are REALLY pissed off, but we sure as hell know that we aren't going back to dial-up; Roger's knows this as well. On the other side, Roger's continues to fill up phubs way past limits until people REALLY start complaining. By "really", I mean when 100's of people from that effected area begin calling in and complaining. Roger's realizes that they need to fix the problem, but what's the rush? Maybe wait awhile and customer's will forget, or better yet the problem will magically solve itself. This sounds like the typical media corporation that is far too big to care for its customers. I was actually far more happier when Shaw was servicing my area, but you lucky ones in the west got Shaw instead.

All we can do know is wait at the mercy of Rogers...

-drprat
rixor
Scarborough, ON

rixor to RiXoR

to RiXoR
I am unable to use DSL as well.

I have been waiting and waiting....

It is starting to get really really frustrating.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to RiXoR

Premium Member

to RiXoR
a buddy of mine for some reason went with rogers hi speed internet instead of bell HSE dsl...i don't really know why, considering most of the rest of us use HSE and never have any problems or outages with it..anyway, we were at his house and using his internet for a few minutes to check email while we were waiting for some more friends to arrive and after about 2 minutes the stupid thing went offline and we couldn't get it back online-he says it happens all the time-i can't believe in this day and age, they haven't fixed that problem-why would anyone (unless they have no choice) go with rogers hi speed internet (there must be better areas-maybe it is just really bad where we live).

train wreck
Scarborough, ON

train wreck

said by dirtyjeffer:
maybe it is just really bad where we live.
Nope, its not just your friend. For me, Rogers has been really bad since June of last year and since the transition, it has become even worse. My cable goes down several times a day (that may be a sign that they're working on my connection), I never get speeds above 1mbit after 11am (approx), ping times to my gateway are above 100ms, and the list goes on.

elva lover
join:2002-05-08

elva lover to RiXoR

to RiXoR
since june of last year, my speeds have dropped DRAMATICALLY. i USED to be able to download at speeds of over 400k upload at speeds of 30-40k during the day (8am-12pm) and during peak hours it used to just drop a bit. now. since then, my speeds have dropped to less than 1k-10k during the day for upload and around 30k-60k for download. i get sometimes 10% packetloss or more while playing games, pings anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand. it seems that whenever you e-mail them about performance, you will get automated replies. when i called them they said everything is running fine. i asked about the docsis and they said my area isn't docsis compliant (mcnicoll and kennedy). i know at least 2 other people in my area with same speed problems. i've seen them doing construction on steeles and lots of area near me seems to have new cable boxes that stick out of the ground. do those new cable boxes have any effect on cable internet? i ask several people (within mcnicoll and kennedy to warden and steeles) and everyone has bad speeds. we can get bell hse here, but the problem is you'll get constant slow speeds(around 10k up and 20-30down) which kind of sucks. Also, what's this ticket thing? do i just give them the ticket number and ask what's goin on?

skillton
join:2000-09-14
Scarborough, ON

skillton

elva lover
i live @ kennedy and sheppard... actually like 3 streets north of sheppard and i got Sympatico... i get 800kbps/100kbps speeds... my downloads are always 100KB/sec
i used to have rogers not 2 long ago... now i think i'm going back cuz the're gonna have docsis modems in my area soon

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

why would you want to get rid of a reliable fast service, for a service than MAY be potentially faster, but constantly riddled with outages and fluctuating performance.

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner to skillton

Premium Member

to skillton
said by skillton:
elva lover
i live @ kennedy and sheppard... actually like 3 streets north of sheppard and i got Sympatico... i get 800kbps/100kbps speeds... my downloads are always 100KB/sec
i used to have rogers not 2 long ago... now i think i'm going back cuz the're gonna have docsis modems in my area soon
You're reading this forum and you're still considering Rogers? Just b/c they have new modems? Well, whatever turns your crank I guess.

elva lover
join:2002-05-08

elva lover to RiXoR

to RiXoR
dey hab an $80 re-connection fee..

train wreck
Scarborough, ON

train wreck to RiXoR

to RiXoR
I just got off the phone with Rogers after my weekly complaint call, they said they're STILL working on it. There is still no estimated time for when this is going to be fixed. The guy assured me that they know of the McNicoll hub problems and they're working as quickly as they can to fix it. He told me it's pretty much Shaw's fault for not putting any money into upgrading their networks, or something along those lines. I personally think Rogers doesn't give a damn about this problem. They know that DSL isn't available here, so they can take their time fixing this because most people probably won't go back to dialup, no matter what the conditions. And the $80 reconnection fee is another reason why people won't want to leave Rogers then come back when it's fixed.

skillton
Scarborough, ON

skillton to shaner

to shaner
my rogers service never had connection problems... i never really lagged or got any packet loss... i just left rogers cuz the pings were high and the uploads were slow most times... my pings were like 70ms to the 1st hop @ peak hours... but with the docsis modem thats all fixed... for now at least... if rogers goes bad again i'm gonna get some other dsl isp... plus i want some digital cable too

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by skillton:
... plus i want some digital cable too
digital cable is a farse...if you want digital, you HAVE to go satellite.
rixor
Scarborough, ON

rixor to skillton

to skillton
said by skillton:
my rogers service never had connection problems... i never really lagged or got any packet loss... i just left rogers cuz the pings were high and the uploads were slow most times... my pings were like 70ms to the 1st hop @ peak hours... but with the docsis modem thats all fixed... for now at least... if rogers goes bad again i'm gonna get some other dsl isp... plus i want some digital cable too
My pings to first hop at peak hours is 200ms+. Sigh...

skillton
Scarborough, ON

skillton to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0
what u mean its farse?

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

He meant Rogers Digital Cable is a farce. You get a few channels broadcast in digital format and you pay a very premium price. When you compare it to Bell ExpressVu which gives you digital on every channel, and is less expensive than cable with more channels, Rogers Digital Cable is a joke.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to RiXoR

Premium Member

to RiXoR
my ping on first hop is 15 ms....highest is 19 ms...it doesn't matter when i check it...consistency is rock solid..gotta love DSL.

skillton
Scarborough, ON

skillton to RiXoR

to RiXoR
my ping used to be 24ms to my 1st hop no matter when i checked it... but that was when i was on the ym phub with the terayon modem
neeloy
join:2002-03-08
North Las Vegas, NV

neeloy to RiXoR

to RiXoR
Okay, couple of things off the top. To the best of my knowledge, DOCSIS is not available on that node yet. The Motorola CMTS's currently deployed cannot support DOCSIS so you are unfortunately stuck with the Motorola modems. If what the rep said about segmenting that node is true, that means that they are putting a new CMTS in that location. They have been talking about that for a while, so if it is actually happening then great! It will split up the node and make it DOCSIS available. But as I said, it been in the air for a while, so I won't hold by breath.

As far as the modems, most modems in use by Rogers are recycled, a modem that you send back gets tested, repaired if necessary, cleaned and deployed back to the customers. Box or not, most modems are recycled. Same thing with the digital boxes, this is standard in the industry.

As far as the killer pings, each Motororola CMTS, loaded, can support up to ~8000 modems. So if your first hop issues are indeed CMTS related and not SNR/level related then someone needs to flush the CMTS and perform some much
needed maintaince on it. Get a Rogers tech out to check out the line and if that checks out, then its a headend problem.

Good luck!
neeloy

neeloy to RiXoR

to RiXoR
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Motorola CMTS's they just need more maintaince than their Terayon counterparts.

train wreck
Scarborough, ON

train wreck to RiXoR

to RiXoR
Rogers is really trying to give me a run-around now. I called up tech support because my TV was snowy and my internet was extremely slow. They told me that the problem with my TV and internet can be attributed to the lines in my neighbourhood and they're going to work on it in 3-4 weeks. Apparently the ground in my area is "too hard" and they have to wait for it to thaw. I told him I had more questions regarding my internet connection and he kept insisting that the only problem was the lines in my neighbourhood. Then he puts me on hold and acknowledges the problems with my connection. He told me THEY HAVEN'T EVEN STARTED SEGMENTING MY LINE, again because the ground is "too hard". I guess to them any ground where effort is required to dig constitutes ground that is "too hard". I told the guy that I was told in Feb. that this shouldn't take more than 2 weeks to fix, but he said that's wrong, whoever told me that was mistaken. I repeatedly asked him why I'm being told different things from phone support and e-mail support and why there is absolutely no co-ordination between phone and e-mail support but he kept trying to evade my question. I don't know what the hell to believe now.
[text was edited by author 2002-05-21 18:59:56]

skillton
Scarborough, ON

skillton to RiXoR

to RiXoR
theres some docsis ctms' in my area... on the mtag phub
tracert that

train wreck
Scarborough, ON

train wreck to RiXoR

to RiXoR
from what i remember theres a docsis cmts on the mtmc phub as well. tech support told me theres no difference between docsis and nondocsis modems because it all depends on the cap. i asked him then why is my friend with a docsis modem getting 3mbits, which is 2x the new cap? he's like thats impossible and i just laughed at him. another tech said "even when your line is docsis compliant you won't get a docsis modem until your current one malfunctions, and don't try to break it yourself or you will have to pay for it." thats so dumb i've had to deal with this sh*t connection for almost 1 whole year and once they fix it they won't give me a new modem so i can get the speeds i've been paying for. rogers is such a f*****g scam.