TheMatrix
join:2001-02-12
Canada

TheMatrix

Rogers New Hi-Speed Bandwidth Cap

Hi-Speed Internet and Hi-Speed Lite Comparison Chart
quote:
»www.shoprogers.com/Store ··· lite.asp
Note that the "hi-speed internet" service is now rated for only 1.5mbit down, 192kbit up.

On a positive note they have a checkmark beside the UNLIMITED...

This morning I spoke to two Rogers Hi-Speed sales Reps, both of whom knew nothing about the new bandwidth cap.
It appears that the right hand still does not know what the left is doing at Rogers! Some things never change.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Yeah, they just keep reducing the advertised speeds to cover their behinds, and keep raising prices. I wonder when the actual cap will go in place, i am still getting 2mbit+ download and 365kbps upload....

green1074
Premium Member
join:2001-10-25
Scarborough, ON

green1074 to TheMatrix

Premium Member

to TheMatrix
I am also getting that speed, I think that it wont go in place lol. They just say 1.5 to cover their asses with people only getting 1 mbit. Or if it does go in place its because of the new pro speeds the plan to roll out, They probably don't have enough bandwith to cover it all, so they put the pro at probably 5 or 4 mbits, and leave the normal at 1.5. so sad huh?

rAfChOw
Premium Member
join:2001-03-19
Toronto, ON

rAfChOw to TheMatrix

Premium Member

to TheMatrix
What was their official advertised speed before this?

green1074
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

green1074 to TheMatrix

Premium Member

to TheMatrix
It was 3000/384, now 1.5/192. dyam it raf, they've got us cornered. I'm still having nice speeds though. until the kill-a-bit bug comes and gets me.

rAfChOw
Premium Member
join:2001-03-19
Toronto, ON

rAfChOw

Premium Member

I've noticed my speeds are slowly decreasing. Is this legal for them to do? Can they place an increase in price but decrease the service quality?

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to TheMatrix

Premium Member

to TheMatrix
said by TheMatrix:
Hi-Speed Internet and Hi-Speed Lite Comparison Chart
quote:
»www.shoprogers.com/Store ··· lite.asp
Note that the "hi-speed internet" service is now rated for only 1.5mbit down, 192kbit up.

On a positive note they have a checkmark beside the UNLIMITED...
don't forget that rogers was the first company to start the discussion of bandwidth caps early this year..caps are coming with almost everyone..the free ride is over...even if small ISP's want to still offer "unlimited" service, they will be swarmed with all the "bandwidth hogs", and will go belly up-or their speeds will be horrible as "all" of their users will be leaving their connections running max speed 24/7.

green1074
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

green1074 to TheMatrix

Premium Member

to TheMatrix
What has the world come to? we are scrambling to find a ISP that won't jip us for our money, its impossible. Seems like the only way out is dial up, no caps. lol. Maybe they too will come with caps. lol.

SomeGuy
@mtnk.rnc.net.cable.r

SomeGuy to TheMatrix

Anon

to TheMatrix
eventually they'll realise that people hate the caps.
and they'll loose lots of money in the process.

I review online movies and music, so I kind of need the
bandwidth. a 1gig cap is like barely a day or two for me.
and there's no way im paying 7.99 or whatever it'll be per extra gig, just no fu**ing way.

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

Why would they lose money? people are addicted to High-speed internet. Ever tried dial-up after you've had high speed? Ugh! And do you honestly think that many people would leave Rogers to go to....another capped provider? MMMMM. And do you think there are tons of people on-line who even know what a gig is? I don't think so. And if your ISP is charging $7.99 per extra gig, how are you going to not pay them? If you're using the internet to make a living, you should be on a business connection anyways. Rogers High-Speed (and Sympatico HSE) are residential services, not commercial ones.

Pirate King
join:2002-02-25
Calgary, AB

Pirate King to TheMatrix

to TheMatrix
said by Rogerian:
...Or if it does go in place its because of the new pro speeds the plan to roll out, They probably don't have enough bandwith to cover it all, so they put the pro at probably 5 or 4 mbits, and leave the normal at 1.5. so sad huh?
I think that this is their plan. It looks like they may be positioning their packages to be in line with Sympatico.

Rogers packages could look something like this (a guess on my part).
Lite 128kbs/64kbs (1GB up/dn) $24.95
High 1.5Mbs/192kbs (5GB dn/2GB up) $44.95
Pro 3Mbs/512kbs (15GB dn/5GB up) $69.95(?)

It looks like not only bit-caps will be tiered but bandwidth will be tiered as well.

My two cents