quote:

ftp -s:cescript.txt.
choice /n/t:c,30/c:cc
c:\temp\symcdefsi32.exe /q /dump /vdb c:\temp
copy c:\temp\*.vdb
del c:\temp\*.vdb
del c:\temp\symcdefsi32.exe

You don't need the default batch file that was designed for Corporate Edition. This will not work with the home version of NAV because of the way the Home Version of NAV updates it definitions. If you run the Corporate Edition then the above batch file will be your ticket to ride.

MeeToo you already have the derived Win 9.X version of the batch file in your posts and in mine, but I will quote again. There is no need to modify it again, because it is already modified.
said by Win 9.X version of the batch file:

ftp -s:cescript.txt
"c:\temp\symcdefsi32.exe" /q
del "c:\temp\symcdefsi32.exe"
The only thing that needs to be added to what you have is the NT derived version of the batch file which is:
said by Win 2k and XP and NT version of the Batch file:

del /q "c:\temp\symcdefsi32.exe"
I would like to use one batch file to for all O/Ss, but that is not the case. Choice command.exe is not found on Win 2k unless you add it there, that is why Symantec in the Corporate Edition of the batch file do not include it with the batch file, which is NT based. It is only included with the Win 9.X version of the batch file.

HTH.:)

MeeToo7
You Too?
Premium Member
join:2000-10-18
Ardmore, PA

MeeToo7

Premium Member

gt, the purpose of my instruction file is to help newbies and computer lingo impaired people who understand that stuff even less than me, so it needs to be as short and simple as possible. Most home users are on single computers or small LAN running Win9x/ME/XP/2k.

Therefore, I think I should leave the Corporate Edition and NT instructions out, but still linked to Symantec's. I'll insert a blurb Win2k and XP to clear up their issues.

Randy Bell
Premium Member
join:2002-02-24
Santa Clara, CA

Randy Bell to La Luna

Premium Member

to La Luna
Thanks for the instructions, MeeToo. It worked just fine on my Win98SE system. One change I made was, I removed the line that deletes the symcdefsi32.exe file. I have a home network, with all three computers running NAV. I plan to implement this batch file on my gateway computer only, and then copy the symcdefsi32.exe file onto my clients for manual updating, thus only having to download it once.

Instead of checking "close window on exit", I inserted the following lines:
echo.
echo Intelligent Updater finished:
echo Close MS-DOS Window Manually.

I prefer to close the window manually, so that I can see the process and make sure it has finished without errors.

neill
join:2000-11-15
Irvington, NY

neill to La Luna

to La Luna
I just did a search for command.exe, and it's not included with my version of Win2k. Yet the batch file as orinally posted by MeeToo works. So does the Win2k revision posted by gt7697c.

MeeToo7
You Too?
Premium Member
Ardmore, PA

MeeToo7

Premium Member

Is everyone's brain hurting like mine yet?

gt7697c, I edited the instructions above and made revisions to reflect what you said about Win2k/XP under "troubleshooting tips". How does it look to you now?

Neill...this is getting wierderer and wierderer...but I don't give up easily, we'll figure that one out

gt7697c
Premium Member
join:2001-02-16
The Hive

gt7697c to MeeToo7

Premium Member

to MeeToo7
MeeToo.....You have the Corporate Edition batch file posted. In this post:
»Re: NAV Intelligent Updater--5/13/02
Which you explain is supposed to be the modified version of your batch file for Win 9.X.
quote:

This has been seen under Windows 95/98. The batch file works as expected under Windows NT/2000. Normally, the Intelligent.bat file opens an FTP session, downloads the definition file to a temp directory, and then extracts the .vdb definitions file for use with NAV. In this case, extracting the .vdb file takes longer than the batch file allows. When Intelligent.bat attempts to copy the .vdb file to the target directory, the file does not yet exist.

A modified Intelligent.bat file is needed to work under Windows 95/98 with this problem. Create an Intelligent.bat with the following lines inserted using Notepad:

c:\temp\symcdefsi32.exe /q /dump /vdb c:\temp
del c:\temp\symcdefsi32.exe

You are quoting from this Symantec Article (»service4.symantec.com/SU ··· 11034048 ):
said by Error: "File not found - C:\temp\*.vdb - 0 file(s) copied" when using Cegetter.bat to update virus definitions:

You are using Cegetter.bat to automatically update virus definitions for Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition (NAV CE). When Cegetter.bat runs, you see the error message "File not found - C:\temp\*.vdb 0 file(s) copied."

Solution:
Symantec is aware of this problem, and offers the workaround below. We will continue to track this problem, and this document will be updated if new information or a solution is found.

This has been seen under Windows 95/98. The batch file works as expected under Windows NT/2000. Normally, the Cegetter.bat file opens an FTP session, downloads the definition file to a temp directory, and then extracts the .vdb definitions file for use with NAV CE. In this case, extracting the .vdb file takes longer than the batch file allows. When Cegetter.bat attempts to copy the .vdb file to the target directory, the file does not yet exist.

A modified Cegetter.bat file is needed to work under Windows 95/98. Create a Cegetter.bat with the following lines inserted using a text editor like Notepad:
c:\temp\symcdefsx86.exe /q /dump /vdb c:\temp
del c:\temp\symcdefsx86.exe

For information on other methods of updating the virus definitions for NAV CE, see the documents:
How to update virus definitions for Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition.
How to automatically update Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition definitions without using LiveUpdate

Product(s): Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition 7.0, SARC
Operating System(s): Windows 98
Document ID: 2001010411034048
Date Created: 01/04/2001
Last Modified: 11/08/2001

This article is pertaining to NAV Corporate Edition (NAV CE). This is not for NAV home version. If you use the batch file mentioned in this article then the People who use it will get error messages. My above post was trying to point this out to you, however I must not have done a good enough job.

Furthermore the batch file that you do mention here:
quote:

4. Open a new file in Notepad, and copy/paste this script below.

del "c:\temp\symcdefsi32.exe"

5. Save the file as Intelligent.bat and put in temp folder with other file.

Is the modified Batch file derived for the home version of NAV and the Win 9.X O/S.

I am just trying to keep you on track for Home Users.

If you wish to post both the Corporate Edition batch file and mix it with the home version of the batch file, in your instructions for "Users that know little about the computer", then I am not the one to stop you, they will.;)

I appreciate the blurb about the Win 2k and XP batch files being different. But if you look at this:
said by Error: "File not found - C:\temp\*.vdb - 0 file(s) copied" when using Cegetter.bat to update virus definitions:

Symantec is aware of this problem, and offers the workaround below. We will continue to track this problem, and this document will be updated if new information or a solution is found.

This has been seen under Windows 95/98. The batch file works as expected under Windows NT/2000.
This is where I see the distinction of two batch files needed. Because it is telling you that the original batch file was designed for Win NT, 2k, and XP. The original batch file was what was derived to create the Home Version of the batch file. The batch file that they are referring to, which is for NAV CE, is this one:
said by Default Corporate Edition Batch file:

"c:\temp\symcdefsx86.exe" /q /extract /vdb c:\temp
del /q c:\temp\*.vdb
del /q "c:\temp\symcdefsx86.exe"

As has already been mentioned the Corporate Edition batch file was written for an NT based O/S. So the derived batch file for Home Edition NAV should look like this for Win NT, 2k, and XP:
said by Batch file for Win NT, 2k, and XP:

del /q "c:\temp\symcdefsi32.exe"
Do try to point out in the first part of your instructions that there is a difference, otherwise they may become frustrated and give up.

I am sorry for my post about Choice command.exe. It is Choice.com and is included in with Win 9.X. It is not included with Win 2k. As I have said I have not tried to use the Win 9.X batch file under Win 2k, because I use the batch file that was derived for Win 2k from the original Corporate Edition batch file, which was NT based, and does not use the Choice.com line, which is not needed for an NT based O/S.

As for other users being able to use the Win 9.X batch file on an NT based O/S, I am glad it works for you. However the default install of the O/S does not include Choice.com and therefore it will not be on your system in the default state. Many third party programs install Choice.com on a Win 2k system because Win 2k will support it and run it, if you put it on the system. Why M$ did not included it I do not know, I don't work for M$.

HTH.:)

ylen131
join:2000-02-09
Canoga Park, CA

ylen131 to neill

to neill
when u do start|run and type command and press enter what happens?

gt7697c
Premium Member
The Hive

gt7697c

Premium Member

Command.com opens up.

ylen131
Canoga Park, CA

ylen131 to La Luna

to La Luna
neill dose the command.com opens up for u also?

Attitudeda
Cool Cruiser
MVM
join:2001-11-26
USA

Attitudeda to La Luna

MVM

to La Luna
It's a great bat file only thing is I still can't get it to work in Task Scheduler.

ylen131
Canoga Park, CA

ylen131

f14 tomcat what problem do u have in task scheduler and what version of windows are u running.I'm sure someone here will be able to help u.

neill
Irvington, NY

neill to ylen131

to ylen131
Yes, it opens for me, too.

ylen131
Canoga Park, CA

ylen131

neill it's strange that when u do search command that u coudn't find it,unless i misunderstood u

neill
Irvington, NY

neill

All of this is way over my head, so bear with me. I do a file search for command.exe, and nothing comes up.
I enter start->run->command, and on top of the window, I get
C:\WINNT\System32\command.com.
In the window, there's a C prompt. I just did a file search, and indeed, there's a command.com.

ylen131
Canoga Park, CA

ylen131

ok got it.u were doing search for exe instead of .com missed that part

gt7697c
Premium Member
The Hive

gt7697c to neill

Premium Member

to neill
Do a search for Choice.com.

I was wrong in my post when I said Choice command.exe. It should be Choice.com.

neill
Irvington, NY

neill

I did a file search for choice.com, and came up empty. It doesn't work with Run either.

gt7697c
Premium Member
The Hive

gt7697c

Premium Member

Very weird that Win 9.X version works on a NT based machine. But stranger things have been known to happen, but then I have not tested the Win 9.X version of the batch file on Win 2k. So I can go by what Symantec has said about the batch file.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to MeeToo7

Premium Member

to MeeToo7
said by MeeToo:
You're welcome Luna. Sometimes the gurus talk in their own jargon forgetting about us simple folks It took me a couple tries to get it to work, but fortunately R2 was on hand to help me out.

As to your question, yes you can run it again even though you're already up to date on the defs. It will just download the same defs again and overwrite and reinstall.
Thanks for the update--I was at work all day and my cable (Cablevision) was out for 5 1/2 hours this evening, so I couldn't get back on line to thank you until now. I thought I was going to have to take drugs to get through this outage...NO OOL is SCARY!!!
Try this9
Premium Member
join:2002-05-05
Infinity

Try this9 to MeeToo7

Premium Member

to MeeToo7
Good summary post! I've been using that batch file on my W2K boxes since the original thread came out and it works great.

Don't forget to add the double quotes around the file path in both the bat and text file if you decide to point to the "normal" temp location in W2K, such as:

lcd "C:\Documents and Settings\John Doe\Local Settings\Temp"

Otherwise the spaces between the words in the file path won't work correctly.

Lurkers inc
Don't Call Me Doink
join:2001-10-13
Seattle, WA

Lurkers inc

Man, these threads are hard to follow and digest in whole.

May I suggest when this gets finalized that it be posted somewhere seperatly with instructions on why, what, and how? That would make it easier for people that have not followed the discussions here to understand the instructions. As a bonus maybe a batch file in the form of a *.exe file could automate the installation as well.

Paul,

MeeToo7
You Too?
Premium Member
Ardmore, PA

MeeToo7

Premium Member

said by Lurkers inc:
Man, these threads are hard to follow and digest in whole.

May I suggest when this gets finalized that it be posted somewhere seperatly with instructions on why, what, and how? That would make it easier for people that have not followed the discussions here to understand the instructions.

LOL! it is already posted on another thread exactly for that purpose, but people keep bringing this thread up! (oops...I just did it again myself )

It's posted here »IU Batch File Instructions Tweaking Thread

Lurkers inc
Don't Call Me Doink
join:2001-10-13
Seattle, WA

Lurkers inc

said by MeeToo:
LOL! it is already posted on another thread exactly for that purpose, but people keep bringing this thread up! (oops...I just did it again myself )

It's posted here »IU Batch File Instructions Tweaking Thread
DOH!!! I would have asked their but it would have been of-topic to your original post. So is the first post their the one to consider the most final at the moment? From the edits it appears that way but I confess I did not read all the replies and check, so at this point I am unsure if that is the case. It appears to me that is the plan though.

Paul,