uniqs
share rss forum feed

Bunko Kanazawa
Bunko Country

join:2001-06-21
Canada

A Problem I have with Rogers

Hi All,

I have a problem. A few months ago, I noticed that my connection would slow down to a crawl if I was uploading to someone. When I upload at a max of around 40KB/s, my download also SLOWS down and web surfing is worse than dial up. Now I remember last year, when I had an FTP up, and upload and download coexisted and simultaneous usage was acceptable and worked perfectly. I have called Rogers once about this but the tech just kept saying everything is ok. Now I'm not a FOOL, I know its not, I know that somehow Rogers has done something to my connection where I cannot upload and download at the sametime without experiencing a lot of difficulty. I've read one post on www.rbua.org where another person had this very same problem.

I am fed up, and tired of this garbage from Rogers. Is something wrong with my connection?

Please advise.
--
AMD Athlon XP 1600+, Asus A7V266-E w/RAID, Thermaltake Volcano 7 HSF, 512 DDR Micron PC2100 RAM, Enermax 350W (Dual Fans) PSU, ATI Radeon 64 DDR VIVO Retail, Windows XP Pro Build 2600, Rogers.com Broadband Service w/ Netgear RT314 Router

Exit
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-04-10
Canada

I don't think anything is wrong with your connection. If there is a problem then I have it too. The problem with cable internet in general is that when you use up all your upstream speeds there is nothing left for regular surfing. If I'm not way off I think that every packet you get has to be verified at the other end. So if your upload is maxed then it will slow down the download as well

Steve
--
18.98Ghz of Cancer killing power commin at yah.

Bunko Kanazawa
Bunko Country

Canada

I know what you're talking about, but mind you that I didn't have this problem, or it wasn't as severe as it is now. I've just read everything Rogers is doing.
Lowering the speed, bit caps, increasing the price and etc and etc.

I'm fed up. I don't want to flame them or call them. I am thinking of switching to HSE in late June. Yes, it will be the same, but at this point I rather give my $45 a month to Bell than Rogers.

My uncle made the switch already, he's so happy with HSE. He loves their customer service.
--
AMD Athlon XP 1600+, Asus A7V266-E w/RAID, Thermaltake Volcano 7 HSF, 512 DDR Micron PC2100 RAM, Enermax 350W (Dual Fans) PSU, ATI Radeon 64 DDR VIVO Retail, Windows XP Pro Build 2600, Rogers.com Broadband Service w/ Netgear RT314 Router

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable

This is the result of shared service and too many people doing file sharing on your node.

As a parameter of TCP/IP protocol, the other end of the connection will only send you so many packets before it must receive an acknowledge. If it doesn't receive an acknowledge, then the download stalls until it gets an ack.

Now, you've got about 6 MHz bandwidth to share on the upload channel amongst up to 300 people on a node, all gobbling up about 360Kbits/sec ... which means about 15 to 20 people doing any amount of uploading will bring the downloads to your node to a virtual standstill. 15 out of 300 will be easy to get, and your acknowledge packets must fight to get on the channel.

This is one of the main reasons for "no servers" and discouraging file sharing applications. It's also one of the reasons for the caps ... limiting bandwidth will cut down on the file sharing.

Bottom line ... it's a limitation of the technology.
[text was edited by author 2002-05-13 22:52:40]

Bunko Kanazawa
Bunko Country

Canada

Yes I know the theory behind it, just took a Comp Eng. 3rd year course on Networks at U of T.

Its too bad, but I guess Rogers has no choice. I was simply more interested in who has experienced this problem hoping that I am not the only one.

I've honestly had it with Rogers, so come late June, I'm going to give my money to Bell.

No, Bell isn't any better. But I dislike Rogers more, so thats why Bell gets my $45 a month.
--

Anon Tech2

join:2002-02-02
London, ON
reply to Bunko Kanazawa

Easy solution, set your max upload to ~37k/sec... That leaves enough bandwidth left over for the ack packets, and you'll no longer see slowdowns.

Or, if you're running a *nix machine, set it to prioritize ack packets.

Either way works fine.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13

Ummm ... but he's still fighting for space on the backlink channel with up to 300 other users, and their activity can still grind him to a halt, whatever he might manage to do to his own machine.

Anon Tech2

join:2002-02-02
London, ON

Actually, if you re-read the original post, his download slows to a crawl *WHEN* *HE* is uploading at maximum.

This has nothing to do with any other users on his node, and everything to do with him using up his own upstream completely. He could be on a node of 1 person, and would still have the same problem.

Bunko Kanazawa
Bunko Country

Canada

I think you might be right. When I don't upload at max speed, the flow of packets is smoother and better. Its too bad my ftp program won't let me set my max upload speed.

Well it doesn't matter, I'm leaving Rogers soon neways.

Thanks Anon Tech.
--