join:2000-06-18
Waynesville, NC
·Carolina Mountai..
Synology RT2600ac
Linksys E2000

Jan Janowski to MeeToo7

Premium Member

to MeeToo7
OK, (be happy you didn't see the first version of this post!)
It seems to be working here.

However, XP now has a password login..

Tweak UI program fixed that. Thanks to Slashdot14 for pushing me in the right direction!!! !

Now if Norton updates the file from 5/13/02 ........

THANKS TO ALL

[text was edited by author 2002-05-15 17:16:13]

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

jaykaykay to MeeToo7

MVM

to MeeToo7
OK. I followed the instructions to a T, 1 through 8 thus far, but obviously didn't get the file d/l. The following is what I got when trying to get the file (Partial copy of DOS window but enough to read re: this transfer):

ftp> cd public/english_us_canada/antivirus_definitions/norton_antivirus/static
250 CWD command successful.
ftp> lcd C:\temp
Local directory now C:\temp.
ftp> bin
200 Type set to I.
ftp> hash
Hash mark printing On ftp: (2048 bytes/hash mark) .
ftp> prompt
Interactive mode Off .
ftp> get symcdefsi32.exe
200 PORT command successful.
425 Can't build data connection: No such file or directory.
ftp> quit
221 Goodbye.

C:\temp>choice /n/t:c,30/c:cc
C

C:\temp>"c:\temp\symcdefsi32.exe" /q
Bad command or file name

BTW., I am running Win98 and did exactly as the instructions said for that OS.

MeeToo7
You Too?
Premium Member
join:2000-10-18
Ardmore, PA

MeeToo7

Premium Member

looks good to me so far JKK, it takes a little while to install. Did you get any error message at all?
MeeToo7

MeeToo7 to Old Computer8

Premium Member

to Old Computer8
Bienvenue a DSLR, Vielle Ordi!

neill
join:2000-11-15
Irvington, NY

neill to MeeToo7

to MeeToo7
I just updated, and on the NAV gui next to Virus Definitions appeared a "?" and "No definitions." I then ran Live Update, which indicated that no new update was necessary. When I reopened the GUI, 5/15/2002 appeared next to Virus Definitions. I'm wondering whether anyone else had this same experience...

MeeToo7
You Too?
Premium Member
Ardmore, PA

MeeToo7

Premium Member

I sort of had something like that. I ran IU, checked the definitions on the NAV window, said 5/13. But I new there was an LU, so ran that, and it too said I was up to date, but then the defs said 5/15.

Maybe the Intelligent ref file didn't have the right date attached to it but by running LU it compared the defs as being up to date, and then affixed the right date? Just a wild guess.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
USA

jaykaykay to MeeToo7

MVM

to MeeToo7
said by MeeToo:
looks good to me so far JKK, it takes a little while to install. Did you get any error message at all?
If you note the wording that I have put in bold print, especially the "ftp> get symcdefsi32.exe
ftp> quit
221 Goodbye.
" portion, I read that as a non-successful connection and file get. When I saw the, "C:\temp>"c:\temp\symcdefsi32.exe" /q
Bad command or file name
", I was pretty sure I hadn't gotten the files and having checked the date after trying in my NAV, I still showed the 10th, so I was pretty sure, error message or no, it didn't work. Wrong? Should I have waited longer? Try again tomorrow?

Mats
Here kitty and the chimp. Smash
Premium Member
join:2002-03-16

Mats to MeeToo7

Premium Member

to MeeToo7
my virus definitions said 5/13.. i ran the intelligence updater tweak( which is totally cool) and then my definitions said 5/15... i then ran live update just to check and it said that there were virus definitions for me to update... i dont get it.. why after i ran the tweak and it updated the definitions, would live update show that there were updates for me to d/l??

thanx

gt7697c
Premium Member
join:2001-02-16
The Hive

gt7697c to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
Actually Jkk it did not work for me either tonight at 11:00pm nor anytime until 11:30pm EST. I eventually changed to an East Coast FTP server and finally got it. It has happened 1 time before this.

Keep trying to get the update.

HTH.:)
______

SpaceCowboy, this has happened to me 1 time before. I think maybe Symantec from time to time may add one or two new things to the LU update that the IU update does not get. Or it just maybe a way for NAV to collect itself and keep going on track. Nothing wrong in downloading it as well.

Remember the intent of the IU program is to compliment LU not to completely do away with it, it is also a way for those having problems with ALU (Automatic Live Update) not working for them to at least get the definitions Automatically but still from time to time do a Manual LU.

HTH.:)

MeeToo7
You Too?
Premium Member
Ardmore, PA

MeeToo7 to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
JKK, I must be as blind as a bat to miss that error!

Well actually, I'll admit that I didn't read your post closely My son was with me in the office on the other computer and we were talking (I can't chew gum and walk, let alone read and talk!)

Anyhow, you definitely do have a problem. Did you copy/paste from the script above? That should work with Win98.

ftp -s:cescript.txt
choice /n/t:c,30/c:cc
"c:\temp\symcdefsi32.exe" /q
choice /n/t:c,30/c:cc
del "c:\temp\symcdefsi32.exe"

That's the one I copied/pasted directly from my working bat file, posting it here to compare from what you have.
MeeToo7

MeeToo7

Premium Member

by the way, did you name your folder "temp" or "Temp" with caps? I think it's case sensitive.

Also make sure it's in C:\ directory, and that there's no other "temp" folders in there.

Just now read gt's post. That could very well have been the problem if by coincidence you tried to run your new batch file at the same time there was a problem with the downloads at the IU's site, as we've mentioned above. I can't tell if I reported an error also because I made my .bat file to run minimized. But I was at the computer when it ran.

I just tried it now, runing window maximized, and it's downloading ok. So try it again.
[text was edited by author 2002-05-16 00:35:00]

gt7697c
Premium Member
The Hive

gt7697c

Premium Member

You really don't need to put it in the C:\ directory. You can put it in any directory or partition. But C:\ is probably easier for people to handle. And C:\Temp is probably already on the C:\ drive/partition.

However, for those running GoBack and have access to a second hard drive on the system, you may not want it to save to the hard drive that is protected by GoBack. The reason, unnecessary writes to the history which can Degrade performance of that drive, plus fill the history up with the IU.exe file when it downloads and is deleted. So to prevent this from happening put the Temp file on the Hard drive that is not protected by GoBack. It may look something like this:

F:\temp

or for a more convoluted way of saying it:

X:\y

(Where "X" is any partition on the Hard drive not protected by GoBack. And where "y" is any file name that you give it. (Keep it short and do not bury it in Directories, because it gets even more convoluted and complex if you do.))

Randy Bell
Premium Member
join:2002-02-24
Santa Clara, CA

Randy Bell to MeeToo7

Premium Member

to MeeToo7
I mentioned in the other thread that I modified my batch file, for my purposes. Since I have a home network, with all three computers using NAV, I need to make only one download of the update, then copy it to the desktop of the other two computers for manual updating. I changed my Intelligent.bat file to the following:

@echo off
ftp -s:cescript.txt
echo.
echo Intelligent Update Downloaded:
echo Press Ctrl-V and Y to quit, or
echo to install the definitions,
pause
"c:\temp\symcdefsi32.exe"
echo.
echo Intelligent Updater finished:
echo Close MS-DOS Window Manually.

That was to avoid deleting the symcdefsi32.exe file, so I can just copy it to the other two computers when done.

gt7697c
Premium Member
The Hive

gt7697c

Premium Member

Randy, why not let the other computers download from the one computer and update by themselves without you having to do it for them?????

Any reason why you wouldn't want to do it this way????

Just curious.;)

Randy Bell
Premium Member
Santa Clara, CA

Randy Bell

Premium Member

They do all update themselves via automatic LiveUpdate on Wednesdays. I'm running internet connection sharing (ICS), so they all have internet access. For example, they all updated today by themselves. So I don't need to do any manual updating for LiveUpdates.

Since I have a home network, it only takes seconds to copy the symcdefsi32.exe file to the desktops of the other computers, and seconds more to walk over and install it manually. This is only for the Intelligent Updater that you guys so graciously offered here.

I just tried it Monday 5/13, which was the first time I've used Intelligent Updater. Previously, I had only relied on LiveUpdate, since I didn't want to hassle with installing a daily update.

I still only plan to run Intelligent Updater occasionally, and not on an absolute daily basis. Perhaps when it's mentioned here at DSLreports -- I find the task of updating DAILY to be overkill for me. But, each to his own!!

gt7697c
Premium Member
The Hive

gt7697c

Premium Member

Randy, why not tweak the batch file for the other computers to pull the update from the ICS server and let it update them Automatically???

That way they are not pulling updates from the Net but from the Server that has them.

Still curious. But I can understand your reasoning.;)

Randy Bell
Premium Member
Santa Clara, CA

Randy Bell

Premium Member

OK, I see what you're saying, I could write a little batch file for the client computers to install the update from the C:\Temp directory on my gateway computer. I might do that, thanks. In that case, I'd still leave my batch file for the gateway computer as it is, since I would want the symcdefsi32.exe file sitting in its C:\Temp directory. I would still have to manually run a little batch file on the clients, but your way might save me a few seconds . I would only have to delete it from my gateway/server, too.

I noticed your mention of Go Back. Another similar problem is with Norton Protected Recycle Bin. For people running Norton Utilities or Norton SystemWorks, this protection feature causes it to back up many files you delete, which would mean multiple copies of symcdefsi32.exe files over a period of time. Fortunately, Norton has a feature called WipeInfo, which allows you to wipe your drive clean of a file, so I might use that rather than simple deletion.

gt7697c
Premium Member
The Hive

gt7697c

Premium Member

If you move it to another partition you could set that Partition's Recycle Bin to 0 or disabled and it would not save anything in Recycle Bin on that partition.

(Don't do that on a GoBack Protected Drive, because GoBack will still back it up. It is just the way it was designed.)

Randy if you get that batch file made for your network clients, would you mind sharing the batch file. I believe Meetoo may hit me for it:), but I think there should be an advanced section for the batch file. (For those that want to get more bang for the buck, or (Like me) lazy.:))

Randy Bell
Premium Member
Santa Clara, CA

Randy Bell

Premium Member

Actually, when I think about it a little more, all I need to do is open Network Neighborhood and go to the Temp directory of my gateway computer, then doubleclick on symcdefsi32.exe to install the update. I've installed many things this way, using the installation file on a networked computer. To use an MSDOS batch file to do it, I think I'd have to first map the network drive to a driveletter, and that's more trouble than it's worth. Easier to just use Network Neighborhood, or My Network Places.

I use NetBEUI for sharing files and printers. I don't run NetBIOS over TCP/IP, for security reasons. And, NetBEUI is more efficient for local networking, since that's what it was designed for; TCP/IP was designed for the internet.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
USA

jaykaykay to MeeToo7

MVM

to MeeToo7
Well, guys. I'll just have to wait for a while for the updates to come out for today and try again later to see if it works this time. It did work, as it should have, with my LU which ran early last night, so my date shows as for the 15th as the correct date. I'll try again later, and , yes, MeeToo, everything was done correctly, according to directions and copied and pasted just as it needed to be. I am hoping that the problem is as gt7697c suggested. You can be assured that if that doesn't solve it, I will be back!:D Oh, and I left it maximized just so that I could see what it was doing. I am glad that I did. I can go back and minimize it once it's running correctly.
Patruk
join:2001-10-25
Stockton, CA

Patruk to MeeToo7

to MeeToo7
Hi MeeToo....I would love to try this. I'm running NAV 2002 on Win98SE. I'm also using AdSubtract Pro and ZAP 3.0.118. Your statement about Proxies and Firewalls scares me a little though.

Proxy or firewall issues.
If you are using a proxy or firewall that blocks FTP communications, Intelligent.bat will not work. You must allow FTP traffic for the FTP session to succeed. If your proxy or firewall requires authentication, be sure to run the scheduled event using a username and password that will authenticate and allow access.

Do I need to configure ZAP and AdSubract first to get the batch file to work. I am definately not proficient when it comes to setting up rules for firewalls or proxies. I'm not even sure if ZAP or AdSubtract block FTP communications by default. What do I need to do first? Your instructions seem simple enough even for me to give it a go.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
USA

jaykaykay to MeeToo7

MVM

to MeeToo7
Well, I tried again and still "no go"! Any ideas what to do or should I just forget it and d/l manually as I've been doing except for LU's? I really don't know what else could be the problem as I have followed the instructions to a T as I said.

ftp>
ftp> cd public/english_us_canada/antivirus_definitions/norton_antivirus/static
250 CWD command successful.
ftp> lcd C:\temp
Local directory now C:\temp.
ftp> bin
200 Type set to I.
ftp> hash
Hash mark printing On ftp: (2048 bytes/hash mark) .
ftp> prompt
Interactive mode Off .
ftp> get symcdefsi32.exe
ftp> quit
221 Goodbye.

C

C:\temp>"c:\temp\symcdefsi32.exe" /q
Bad command or file name

MeeToo7
You Too?
Premium Member
Ardmore, PA

MeeToo7 to Patruk

Premium Member

to Patruk
quote:

Do I need to configure ZAP and AdSubract first to get the batch file to work.
Hi patruk,

you would just need to configure ZAP. I don't use Ad-substract, but I don't think it has FTP blocking abilities.

ZAP on the other hand, does. It's your firewall protecting you from intruders (via FTP and many other ports), and from intercepting malware from sneaking out. I am not familiar with ZA pro, only ZA free, but I assume it works a lot like ZAF when it comes to alerts, so don't worry about that just yet. I would suggest you work on making your Intelligent Updater scripts, and then run it. If your FTP port is blocked by ZAP, then a pop up alert should come up asking you if you want to give Intelligent.bat access to the internet (or FTP access.) You then give it permission according to how ZAP works (maybe Randy can jump in here, as he knows ZAP well.)

So go ahead, give it a try
MeeToo7

MeeToo7 to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
JKK, your problem is very bizzarre. I suspect it is particular to your system somehow. Would your "temp" folder be write protected by any chance? It's the only thing that comes to my mind right now.

I'll try to build one for my Win98se laptop, and see what happens to mine, even though I don't have NAV on it.
MeeToo7

MeeToo7 to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
It worked perfectly on my Win98 laptop. I'll send you my scripts if you like?

(we're having problems uploading pix tonight, but I won't bother to try again, because it was simply a capture of my .bat file downloading as it should. You're not missing anything.)
[text was edited by author 2002-05-16 23:30:35]

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
USA

jaykaykay to MeeToo7

MVM

to MeeToo7
Nope! I love a good mystery......but not now.

Guess that didn't work. Wonder why.:( It just showed that my file has nothing checked.
[text was edited by author 2002-05-16 23:09:25]

[text was edited by author 2002-05-16 23:10:24]

Randy Bell
Premium Member
Santa Clara, CA

Randy Bell to Patruk

Premium Member

to Patruk
Patruk, ZoneAlarm Pro will give you a popup indicating File Transfer Program ftp.exe wants internet access; just give it permission and your batch file will work.

MeeToo7
You Too?
Premium Member
Ardmore, PA

MeeToo7 to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
hmm...seems there's a problem with pix uploads or is it just my browser?
MeeToo7

MeeToo7 to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
JKK, I wonder if you don't have the "choice" command on your system?! I know that some WinXP or 2k don't have them, from an earlier post.

Try this: Start button --> Run --type in Choice --> enter.

A DOS window should appear with the Y/N prompt. Don't type anything if the window appear, just click the "X" to close the window.