join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy
reply to MeeToo7

Re: IU Batch File Instructions Tweaking Thread

Well. You can, but if they're the same ones as on this thread, those are what I already have. I copied and pasted them just as you said, put them in a folder called "temp" in C:\, and there they sit. It really looks as if the file symcdefsi32.exe from symantec cannot be found if I am reading the DOS ftp printout right.
--
JKKAge is a very high price to pay for my maturity. If I can't stay young, I can at least stay immature!

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
USA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy

reply to MeeToo7
said by MeeToo:
JKK, I wonder if you don't have the "choice" command on your system?! I know that some WinXP or 2k don't have them, from an earlier post.

Try this: Start button --> Run --type in Choice --> enter.

A DOS window should appear with the Y/N prompt. Don't type anything if the window appear, just click the "X" to close the window.
I am still running '98.

***It worked anyway. No prob there.***
--
JKK

Age is a very high price to pay for my maturity. If I can't stay young, I can at least stay immature!

[text was edited by author 2002-05-16 23:17:13]

Zupe
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-29
New York, NY

reply to jaykaykay
Jaykaykay, what firewall are you running? Does it happen to be ZA? The reason I ask is that someone posted in the original thread when we were coming up with this batch file with the same error (can't build data connection), and it turned out to be a zonealarm problem. Here's the link, hopefully to the relevant part of the thread, read over Ylen13's posts and the responses and see if any of that helps.

»NAV Auto Download Daily updates Program
--
Pinky: I think so Brain, but shouldn't the bat boy be wearing a cape?

[text was edited by author 2002-05-16 23:18:04]

MeeToo7
You Too?
Premium
join:2000-10-18
Ardmore, PA
reply to jaykaykay
quote:
It really looks as if the file symcdefsi32.exe from symantec cannot be found if I am reading the DOS ftp printout right.
You're right, it looks like that to me too. It's the weirdest thing though, why can I run that same exact script and it finds that file on their server, but you can't???

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
USA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy

reply to Zupe
said by Zupe:
Jaykaykay, what firewall are you running? Does it happen to be ZA? The reason I ask is that someone posted in the original thread when we were coming up with this batch file with the same error (can't build data connection), and it turned out to be a zonealarm problem. Here's the link, hopefully to the relevant part of the thread, read over Ylen13's posts and the responses and see if any of that helps.

»NAV Auto Download Daily updates Program
--

[text was edited by author 2002-05-16 23:18:04]

I'll go back and look at that thread. I do recall something in there about that. Yes, it is ZA.

Assuming that I add the server to my local zone, do I add ftp.symantec.com and if so, what's the IP? What exactly do I add in my Local Zone in ZA?
--
JKK

Age is a very high price to pay for my maturity. If I can't stay young, I can at least stay immature!

[text was edited by author 2002-05-16 23:25:50]

Randy Bell
Premium
join:2002-02-24
Santa Clara, CA
reply to MeeToo7
said by MeeToo:
hmm...seems there's a problem with pix uploads or is it just my browser?
MeeToo and jaykaykay, it isn't your browser; I had problems awhile ago too, in another thread; just keep trying to upload your attachment until it sticks. You both need to upload your attachments again, because they're coming out blank.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
USA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy
said by Randy Bell:
said by MeeToo:
hmm...seems there's a problem with pix uploads or is it just my browser?
MeeToo and jaykaykay, it isn't your browser; I had problems awhile ago too, in another thread; just keep trying to upload your attachment until it sticks. You both need to upload your attachments again, because they're coming out blank.
I know, but in my case, it really was of no great importance other than to show that there were no checks in any boxes showing write protected nor anything untoward with the folder itself.
--
JKKAge is a very high price to pay for my maturity. If I can't stay young, I can at least stay immature!

MeeToo7
You Too?
Premium
Ardmore, PA

reply to jaykaykay
Well it seems it was his ZAF that blocked it! He said he entered the symantec ftp site in his local zone to make it work. That's wierd, because I have ZAF too, and I didn't have to enter anything in local zone.

What's passive mode in ZAF anyway??

I have internet security set to high, and local to medium, and the FTP.exe given access to internet and local, no permission given for server rights. With those settings it works like a charm.

But maybe if you try what ylen13 did JKK, give that a try?

Here's ylen13's post »Re: NAV Auto Download Daily updates Program
[text was edited by author 2002-05-16 23:32:05]

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
USA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy
said by MeeToo:
Well it seems it was his ZAF that blocked it! He said he entered the symantec ftp site in his local zone to make it work. That's wierd, because I have ZAF too, and I didn't have to enter anything in local zone.

What's passive mode in ZAF anyway??

I have internet security set to high, and local to medium, and the FTP.exe given access to internet and local, no permission given for server rights. With those settings it works like a charm.

But maybe if you try what ylen13 did JKK, give that a try?
Same settings as mine. I just don't know what to enter in my Local zone...specific info. Pity of the whole thing is I have no problem with my FTP Pro, but that's a whole different ball game.
--

MeeToo7
You Too?
Premium
Ardmore, PA
We need to find the IP address for the symantec ftp site it's downloading from. I'll try to find it.

Zupe
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

reply to MeeToo7
I'm using 206.204.0.0 - 206.204.255.255. You may be able to get it narrowed down more than that.

Resolving ftp.symantec.com gets me:
206.204.52.8 - 206.204.212.72
--

[text was edited by author 2002-05-16 23:42:52]

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
USA
reply to MeeToo7
It could be 206.204.212.72. What did you find?

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
USA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy

reply to Zupe
said by Zupe:
I'm using 206.204.0.0 - 206.204.255.255. You may be able to get it narrowed down more than that.

The one I just listed was for ftp.symantec.com. Is that the one to use?

206.204.52.8 might be the real one. I just checked my ZLA and found that that IP corresponded to about the same time I tried it and yesterday, that same one showed up, all of them being to my port 1030 from port 20 if that's of any help.
--
JKK

[text was edited by author 2002-05-16 23:51:41]

MeeToo7
You Too?
Premium
Ardmore, PA

reply to jaykaykay
A reverse lookup for symantec.com gives this IP: 206.204.212.69

Try that. The file is stored on securityresponse.symantec.com/ but I assume it's the same machine/server.

Well you guys are much faster than me!

Try the Ftp.symantec.com one, JKK
[text was edited by author 2002-05-16 23:41:53]

MeeToo7
You Too?
Premium
Ardmore, PA
securityresponse.symantec.com gives this IP: 207.229.152.40

Zupe
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

reply to MeeToo7
The exact IP is going to differ from moment to moment, but I believe it should always be in the range 206.204.52.8 - 206.204.212.72

After further testing, the IP range I posted earlier isn't necessary. If you're using ftp.symantec.com, all you should need to allow are 206.204.52.8 and 206.204.212.72, nothing in between. The IPs will differ if you're using one of the mirror sites. Sorry for the confusion.--

[text was edited by author 2002-05-17 09:39:11]

ylen131

join:2000-02-09
Canoga Park, CA

i head to do that also when i head zone alarm.Also make sure that "block local sever" uncheck.
[text was edited by author 2002-05-16 23:47:23]

MeeToo7
You Too?
Premium
Ardmore, PA
reply to MeeToo7
Here's what I found on ZA help for my question "what's passive mode anyway?"

"FTP

If you are having difficulties with your FTP program, make sure that the FTP program is on your Programs List.

FTP programs require local server rights. The configuration needs to have Passive or PASV mode enabled, which tells the client to use the same port for communication in both directions. Enable that option in your FTP program."

So how do we enable that option in the batch file?

Could it be the way that JKK's ports are configured/secured?

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
USA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy

reply to ylen131
said by ylen13:
i head to do that also when i head zone alarm.Also make sure that "block local sever" uncheck.
[text was edited by author 2002-05-16 23:47:23]

Well, I did have "block local sever" checked, so I unchecked that. Now I will try to put in the range of IPs in my Local Zone and see what happens. Did you use the same range as Zupe?
--

MeeToo7
You Too?
Premium
Ardmore, PA

Wait JKK. I don't have "block local servers" checked on mine, so maybe that's what prevents it from running. Try to unckeck that first, before entering any IPs, run with the local servers uncheck, and see what happens.

Willing to bet you 5 stars that that's the problem Just makes sense somehow.
[text was edited by author 2002-05-16 23:57:57]

gt7697c
Premium
join:2001-02-16
The Hive

reply to MeeToo7
According to the original thread regarding this you could not. You had to enter the FTP sites in ZAF.
Edit
This thread is moving to fast, my response was to an earlier post by MeeToo not the current post above mine.
--
Just my 2 bits.

[text was edited by author 2002-05-16 23:58:10]

MeeToo7
You Too?
Premium
Ardmore, PA

But gt, I DON'T have the ftp sites entered in mine, and it's running fine. The only different that JKK has from me it appears to be that she has the "block local server" box checked.

(it's moving too fast for me too )
[text was edited by author 2002-05-17 00:00:18]

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
USA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy

reply to MeeToo7
I think that did it!!! I just ran the sucker and watched that binary ########### just scroll across the DOS window. Cool! Thanks, guys. I am a happy camper for sure. Thanks for all the help, once again.

I did add the IP range, MeeToo. I can try it without next time. However, I just checked and NAV still shows yesterday's date for updates. What goes with that?
--
JKK

[text was edited by author 2002-05-17 00:03:20]

ylen131

join:2000-02-09
Canoga Park, CA
your welcome glad it works.

MeeToo7
You Too?
Premium
Ardmore, PA
reply to jaykaykay
WHOOHOO!! Geez Louise! That little critter of a checked box sure gave us a run for our money

Well now I must make sure it's in the instructions under firewall/ZAF/ZAP.

MeeToo7
You Too?
Premium
Ardmore, PA

reply to jaykaykay
quote:
said by jaykaykay:

I did add the IP range, MeeToo. I can try it without next time. However, I just checked and NAV still shows yesterday's date for updates. What goes with that?

[text was edited by author 2002-05-17 00:03:20]

duh! Well now try it again without the IP in local zone. We went this far, we might as well finish pinpointing exactly what the problem is.

As for the date of the file, that's because it wasn't updated today. We all have same date.

So run it again, without IP. You can overwrite and reinstall as often as you like.
[text was edited by author 2002-05-17 00:08:27]

[text was edited by author 2002-05-17 00:12:45]

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
USA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy
Well, drat as far as no update for today. I didn't even look. As far as working without the range, no, it didn't work! So, we now know exactly, for others following in my footsteps, what to do in a case such as this. Weird, I must say, but now I have to figure out the next steps to add it to my Task Scheduler. I think I'll give it a day or 2 before doing that though.
--

neill

join:2000-11-15
Irvington, NY
kudos:1
Bear in mind that the latest definitions date might not appear on the NAV gui until you next run LU.

MeeToo7
You Too?
Premium
Ardmore, PA
reply to jaykaykay
said by jaykaykay:
As far as working without the range, no, it didn't work! So, we now know exactly, for others following in my footsteps, what to do in a case such as this. Weird, I must say,
Yes, TOO weird. We should really try to figure out why both my WinME and Win98, both with ZAF on, don't need IP entered on local zone, but yours does. It's a knot left untied that bothers me.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
USA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy
reply to neill
said by neill:
Bear in mind that the latest definitions date might not appear on the NAV gui until you next run LU.
Aha! Well, that runs daily in the early PM, so if there is an update tomorrow or the next day, I shall find out what happens. How, if LU has to be run, does one know if the .bat file d/l even took place might I ask?
--