how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TheMatrix

join:2001-02-12
Canada

Switching to Hi-Speed Lite Service fee - confirmed

wtg2000 Over at RBUA received this email from Rogers regarding his enquiry about switching from Hi-Speed to Rogers Hi-Speed Lite Service:

quote:
Dear Mr. xxxxxx,

Thank you for taking the time to write to Rogers Cable Inc. We
appreciate this opportunity to respond to your inquiry.

The fee to switch from Rogers Hi-Speed Internet service to the Rogers
Hi-Speed Lite service is $50.00 plus tax. The $50.00 fee covers a number
of additional technical tasks that must be processed in order to switch
your service. These technical tasks require that we change our default
network configuration to accommodate your new level of service.

Rogers Hi-Speed Lite service is provided at a faster speed than dial-up,
and at a slower speed than the Rogers Hi-Speed Internet. The Hi-Speed
Lite service includes one e-mail account and no web space and unilited
use.

Please confirm that you would still like us to change your Rogers
High-Speed service to Rogers Hi-Speed Lite.

Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions under the 'Help' section of
www.rogers.com for more information!

We appreciate your continuing patronage. Please contact us at your
convenience if you have any further inquiries.

For any future reference with respect to this e-mail, please quote
reference number xxxxxxx.

Regards,
Barry A.
Rogers Online Customer Care
[text was edited by author 2002-05-14 17:47:31]

hman1

join:2002-01-17
Canada
Hey Man! Is that real? I'm shocked! I was just planning to switch to the Lite service too. But now, maybe not...
Are you still gonna switch? Oh yeah, what is the max download speed anyways? Do you know?

Thanks

elusion
Premium
join:2001-10-25
Scarborough, ON
reply to TheMatrix
Max download speed is only 128 kilobits and 64 kilobits upload. ITs worth it's money, installed it for a few friends, everything worked fine got speeds around 100/63.
--
-In the game of broadband, sometimes you win some, sometimes you loose some-

Bunko Kanazawa
Bunko Country

join:2001-06-21
Canada
There is a 1GB CAP on the Lite service, if not implemented now, it will be in the future.

So the part about UNLIMITED use is BS.

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to TheMatrix
sympatico is also offering a lite package next month, which will offer the same download speeds and also a 128 upload speed, there is also a 1 gig down and 1 gig up cap, with extra usage costing 79 cents/100 megs over. it will be priced at $29.95/month..i have not heard of any fee for switching from a hi speed to a lite version-yet.
--
Better. Faster. First.

elusion
Premium
Scarborough, ON
reply to TheMatrix
Sympatico is going a little bit over the top, 29.95? How do they expect to attract customers?
--

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
said by green1074:
Sympatico is going a little bit over the top, 29.95? How do they expect to attract customers?

it's comparably priced with rogers (rogers is $24.95/month or $29.95/month if you don't have cable), has a faster upload than rogers lite, and is still faster than dial-up...plus a lot of consumers are wary of rogers network for reliability and consistent speeds, of course, some areas are worse than others.
--
Better. Faster. First.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
How bad can it get with a 128kbps cap? I have never in my 4 years of having cable gone that low.... IMO Rogers will have the better Lite service, and the fact that its cheaper its a bonus.
--
Go Leafs Go! Die Sens Die!

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
it's only cheaper if you have cable tv, otherwise it's the same price..rogers network in some areas is heavily oversubscribed already, let alone adding lots of additional customers..many of the speed test posts certainly reflect that fact.
--
Better. Faster. First.

rAfChOw
Premium
join:2001-03-19
Toronto, ON
reply to TheMatrix
said by TheMatrix:
The fee to switch from Rogers Hi-Speed Internet service to the Rogers
Hi-Speed Lite service is $50.00 plus tax. The $50.00 fee covers a number
of additional technical tasks that must be processed in order to switch
your service. These technical tasks require that we change our default
network configuration to accommodate your new level of service.
Roger's business plan:
Revenue: $50
Expense: $0

These "technical tasks" include altering the config file sent to the cable modem which sets the bandwidth cap. This will cost them next to nothing.

elusion
Premium
Scarborough, ON
reply to TheMatrix
hmmm it's not hard to go to 128 barrier, my friend has rogers lite, and getting 100/63 at 9:00 pm. I find it's worth every bit of it's money. Most people have cable tv so anyways, if they don't have it, they go to bell, if they do they go to rogers. Speeds will suck for rogers hi-speed customers, but the lite customers are safe.
--

elusion
Premium
Scarborough, ON
reply to TheMatrix
People on dial up, will be looking for cheaper, not something in the 29.95 range, dial up users aren't used to uploading so the 128 k upload isn't much of a competition. I think rogers will come out the winner with the lite service.
--

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
i think both will do very well, as there are many dial-up users that certainly don't need more than 1 gig up or down a month, and would love to have something a little faster than dial up, but don't want to spend $45/month.
--
Better. Faster. First.

elusion
Premium
Scarborough, ON
reply to TheMatrix
You are absolutely right, The dialup might extinct. But I do honestly believe rogers will get more customers. 24.95 sounds much more appealing than 29.95. And you are getting the the speeds you are supposed to be with rogers lite, I made sure of that, I installed it for my friend in Ajax, and one in Scarborough, they both got great speeds, around 100/60, while the advertised speeds are 128/64.
--

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
good to see they are finally doing something right
--
Better. Faster. First.

Uriel3

join:2001-11-26
reply to TheMatrix
I had always paid $39.95 + 15% for a pretty constant speed of 2400dn/370up when @Home was involved, then when Roger's offered half price for 6 months plus free installations to new customers only and had to oversubscribe, it suddenly looked as if they were forced to half their line caps and split my node thereby forcing my speeds down to 1100dn/240up and 730dn/220up in evenings and weekends. Then, to add pain to discontent they dinged everyone with an additional $5.00 fee for the modem rental which use to be included. Now it looks like a foregone conclusion that they will be placing a data transfer 'bitcap' on both their High and Lite Speed Services. After probably knowing and planning all this in advance they had the unmitigated nerve to charge a $50.00 installation fee to customers who have already changed over. I believe that if history is of any indication of what is ahead the only thing I see in the future is a further deterioration of service at a higher price and the incremental and systematic lowering of line caps and data transfers to bring in more revenue in effort to silence their creditors. Any way; $24.95 + 15% ($45.95 + 15%) + lower line speed caps & lower data transfer caps plus big bucks for anything over is just too much for my budget. Many Roger's Cable customers on a fixed income are in the same boat as I am.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
rogers was the first hi speed provider in canada and really shot their toes off with blazing speeds and unlimited use for $39.95...it should have been $20/month more..that way, when competing companies came out, they would already be at the higher price, people would already be accustomed to a slightly higher price service, and the extra revenue could help maintain good service and eliminate the need for caps...but they went in with the lowest price they could and have ruined the business model that everyone would so much love to have now, but doesn't want to pay anything for it.
--
Better. Faster. First.

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB
With Rogers Lite, is the $5 modem rental included in the $24.95? The reason I ask is they still advertise regular high speed at $39.95 + $5 modem rental in the fine print. If I'm right, then the lite service is really $29.95, the same as Bells (which includes the modem rentals in the price)

elusion
Premium
Scarborough, ON
reply to TheMatrix
The lite speed is still $ 24.95 per month, includes the $5 dollar modem rental, and from what I see, they advertise hi-speed at $44.95 not $39.92 and the rest in small print.
--

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB
Thanks. I was going by a pamphlet that I got at a Rogers booth in the mall recently. It said $39.95, with the $5 modem rental in small print at the bottom.

elusion
Premium
Scarborough, ON
reply to TheMatrix
that pamphlet was probably old.

pctechguy2

join:2001-10-07
Mississauga, ON
reply to TheMatrix
I got it right from the horses mouth.....I called Rogers to go on the #1 bundle and thought I'd see. As I see it if we go to the light speed from high speed we are penalized for the change but when you get inet at light speed right off there isnt an admin charge. I dont think this is a way to treat loyal customers. You'd figure that the amount of bandwidth they are saving by trying to get ppl to switch would be enough incentive for a free switch.
Just my 2 cents for what its worth......

Hunger

@cpe.net.cable.rogers
reply to elusion
I do not get charged for my modem and I have high speed (had it for about 2+ years now)

VIP 44.34
High speed 44.95
VIP Disc 4.50
modem 0.00
(usually 15.05)
Gst 3.55
PST 5.94
Total 94.28

I want to switch to the new bundle with the lite option by my calcs will be

Bundle Lite 79.99
Rental 8.99
Total 88.98
Plus Taxes 102.32

so for $8 I get digital channels plus normal channels I get capped at 128bit for my cable mode but I live on a busy street and when the guy up the road is downloading (don't ya just love the lack of privacy we have on these lines) 128 is about all I ever get anyway.

Peter
»www.againsthunger.org

elusion
Premium
Scarborough, ON
reply to TheMatrix
The modem charge is included in the 44.95, or because of your VIP benefits. Also did you calculate the digital terminal rental, from what I remember it's not 8.99, isn't it 9.50?

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC
reply to TheMatrix
I just got a rogers pamflit in my bill
it says modem rental for a limited time
that was for lite
ill post a pic 2morrow
--
Thanks for a Great Season Leafs!Avalanche are out too! Go Canes Go!

datac8
Rogerstech

join:2002-06-08
Toronto, ON
reply to TheMatrix
well i think the days of dial up AND unlimited bandwidth usage are both to become extinct over the next few years. bandwidth is a real expense, the more you use, the more it costs....someone. therefore the pricing needs to reflect that fact. dial up is just too damn slow, no need to explain that !

dc.

tymex

join:2002-06-10
canada
said by datac:
the more you use, the more it costs....someone.
No dispute, but how come the less you use, you still pay the same?

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
said by tymex:
No dispute, but how come the less you use, you still pay the same?
i'd like to see a 3 meg connection for something like $28/month for access and modem, then $1.50/gig of usage..limited customer service, no tech support, that way, for someone like me who would only use around 5-7 gigs/month, i would only pay around $35/month, and the people who want 30 gigs a month usage, would only be paying around $70/month. i don't know if would be a very successful business model though.
--
PIII 900 MHz, 328 MB RAM, GeForce GTS II Ultra 64 MB DDR Video Card, Sympatico HSE