how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Kabdel

join:2002-02-07
Canada

Are we getting a Cap?

Any confirmation or speculation on whether we are getting a downloading/ uploading cap like sympatico's 5gb cap. On rogers website it says unlimited internet access, how long do u think this will hold for? I hope we don't get a large flux of sypatico bandwidth hogs, that will do nothing but cause Rogers to force a cap.

travisc

join:2001-11-09
Uxbridge, ON

They've said they'll be capping by summer.

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to Kabdel

don't worry, most of sympatico's customers are ex rogers customers and certainly wouldn't go back to them, they would most likely try other DSL ISP's that are still claiming no caps-for now.
--
Better. Faster. First.

Bunko Kanazawa
Bunko Country

join:2001-06-21
Canada

When is Rogers going to announce/finalize their new high speed internet plans? Why are they stalling? I know we're getting capped, but I wish they would realize the details.

Thinking of switching to HSE to give it a try. Not happy with Rogers.
--
AMD Athlon XP 1600+, Asus A7V266-E w/RAID, Thermaltake Volcano 7 HSF, 512 DDR Micron PC2100 RAM, Enermax 350W (Dual Fans) PSU, ATI Radeon 64 DDR VIVO Retail, Windows XP Pro Build 2600, Rogers.com Broadband Service w/ Netgear RT314 Router

Kabdel

join:2002-02-07
Canada
reply to Kabdel

I wouldn't switch until the cap is official...

Exit
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-04-10
Canada

said by Kabdel:
I wouldn't switch until the cap is official...
I wouldnt switch at all. Well thats as long as you get better speeds than HSE users.

Steve
--
18.98Ghz of Cancer killing power commin at yah.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

I really do hope that Rogers is more reasonable with its caps. The service is much faster than Sympatico's 1mbit, and it deserves a bigger cap. I really want to see what Rogers "Pro" service will consist of, in terms of speeds, and how they plan to keep the speeds steady. I think once they have 3 tiers, they will have to provide with close to the maximum that they advertise. They dont really have to now, because they just say "up to", and nothing is concrete.
--
Go Leafs Go! Die Sens Die! -- Already Dead!

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON

said by HiVolt:
The service is much faster than Sympatico's 1mbit, and it deserves a bigger cap.
not really..think about this..rogers service is supposed to be a 3 meg service, but now they only sell it as a 1.5 meg service because they realize most of their users can no longer achieve the 3 meg speed in most areas...bell advertises a 1 meg service and most users get this speed or very close to it..so when bell rolls out their 3 meg service you will get your 3 meg service.

here is my speed test taken from the sympatico test page:

Test starting...
Average throughput: 1005 kilobits/sec
Total Time: 8342 milliseconds
Done.

i am getting everything that i am paying for..and it doesn't matter what time of day i check it..my connection is always the same speed.
--
Better. Faster. First.

mau108
Mau
Premium
join:2001-10-07
Thornhill, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Kabdel

Yup, DSL kicks Cables buttocks

Once the unveil the 7 meg service, bye bye Rogers heheh
--
•·.·´¯`·.·•MAU108•·.·´¯`·.·•

Exit
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-04-10
Canada
reply to Kabdel

From the sympatico speed test
Test starting...
Average throughput: 2081 kilobits/sec
Total Time: 8061 milliseconds
Done.
Test starting...
Average throughput: 1980 kilobits/sec
Total Time: 8472 milliseconds
Done.

I have no problems
--
18.98Ghz of Cancer killing power commin at yah.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON

i was referring to the stability of pings, consistent speeds and the fact i have only had 3 outages (about 2 hours each) in the 3 1/2 years i have had this service...and really, you are only getting a 1/3 of what you really should be getting.
--
Better. Faster. First.

Ascension0
Does God Have A God?

join:2002-05-18
Beverly Hills, CA
reply to Kabdel

you know hehehe all this is pretty funny, rogers is a little faster for now. and all the crap they've gone through... thats just the beginning.. as DSL gets faster .. cable co's will end up taking the kick in the ass.

whY?

well... have you ever heard the saying slowly but surely?

thats HSE... now.. they took this long to upgrade their speeds.. whY? because they were expanding and upgrade to take in the higher speeds. unlike cableco's chaotic speeds and numerous downtimes.

now hse will have the 3meg. and you know what? it'll be 3mb all the time and will not slow down to a stop when the peek times hit and on top of that downtimes at HSE are a rarety..

i had a long time friend laugh at me for getting HSE and you know what? he's HSE now..

my point is.. hse is catching up and it'll be rock solid unlike cable.

Resistance is futile.. you will become one with the BELL.
(sooner or later)

._-=AsC=-_.

wheelert$93
T L C
ExMod 2002
join:2000-06-01
Lynden, ON

Sure, HSE will be upgrading their infrastructure to accommodate the higher speeds, but do you really think you're going to get 3meg for the price you're paying now? Hell, I can get 10meg VDSL for the office right now if I was willing to pay the big bucks for it.
--
If you can't bark with the big dogs, get the hell off the porch!

Bender2000
Bite My Shiny Metal Ass
Premium
join:2002-05-06
Dollard-Des-Ormeaux, QC
reply to Ascension0

And it'll only take you 7.5 hours of downloading at that "Always 3mbps speed" to break your 10,000mb download cap!

So long suckers.

Ascension0
Does God Have A God?

join:2002-05-18
Beverly Hills, CA
reply to Kabdel

hmmm... are you okay there guy?

where ever you go buddy, you'll get the same treatment eventually, its reality, you're just gonna have to deal with it too, poor you.

melondude
Need... Hammer

join:2001-05-15
reply to Kabdel

bah, hse was crap in my place. i was getting constant speeds of 80kbps..... yeah, kiloBITS.... they were 'trying' to fix it for like 6 months... and then the thing started having outages of like 8 hours at a time every 2 days!!! ARGH! i switched to rogers, and im damn happy.
--
With 500mhz of pure celeron power baby! .... .... *cries*

talktwo

@sympatico.ca
reply to Kabdel

Hi all,

I just got the latests news from Ontario Sympatico HSE. I've been with HSE for 3 years now, and have left my computer on for months on end, I have never had a dropped connection, and have had consistent speeds of 110K/s from the web and from ftp's.

However, they just announced here that they will start charging $44/month with a cap of 5MB per month. That sounds HIGHLY riduculous to me. Their 3MB/s service will cost $69.95 and will have a limit of 10MB per month.

I'm considering switching to Rogers and seeing how their service is, is it really as bad as everyone says?? Well I guess I'll find out.

In case numbers mean anything to those reading this, here are my speed test results from dslreports.com:
2002-05-20 17:57:30 EST: 864 / 109
Your download speed : 864070 bps, or 864 kbps.
A 105.4 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 109589 bps, or 109 kbps.

Mr_Newb

join:2002-04-09
Canada
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
·Bell Fibe

said by talktwo:
Hi all,
However, they just announced here that they will start charging $44/month with a cap of 5MB per month. That sounds HIGHLY riduculous to me. Their 3MB/s service will cost $69.95 and will have a limit of 10MB per month.

I feel sorry for you... I'm getting capped at 5GB(not 5MB) a month. sucks to be you!