All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
SomeGuy4
join:2002-05-15
Ottawa, ON

SomeGuy4

Are you in OTTAWA ? I Found The Solution !!!

If you in Ottawa, Ontario
You are very fortunate indeed!

I just discovered a high-speed provider
that offers 3 different high-speed services.

1. ADSL (7MB/s Symetrical)
2. Wireless (didnt ask)
3. Ethernet (10MB/s duplex)

Package 3 is the best value for money!
10mb/s what more do you need?
hehe

*wipes the drool away*
so anyhow

You can either pay the 195$/month
and have full 10MB/s to yourself.
OR
we could get a couple people to split
the bill and share the 10MB equally.

I live downtown Ottawa (Bay&Laurier)

2 people splitting = 97.50/each 5MB/s each
3 ppl = 65$ each 3.33MB/s each
4 ppl = 48.75$ each 2.5MB/s each
5 ppl = 39$ each 2MB/s each

MAX 5 ppl so we can enjoy true 2MB/s connection

Hey at 5ppl with 2MB each thats only 39$ a month
a HELL of alot cheaper than ROGERS/SYMPATICO

so leave a msg or whatever

ICQ#23857137

TheMatrix
join:2001-02-12
Canada

TheMatrix

hmmm...
This may very well be a workable option. Have to wait and see what Rogers does b/4 exploring further.
sbrook(Stuart), you reading this.
Where you are located is considered Ottawa. This may be the solution to your slow throughput!

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Let's see ...

I'm 23 km from downtown ... with about 8 rural km, on a satellite of a non-digital phone exchange (no DSL out here) and one of the last homes on Rogers cable network, and we are so surrounded by trees that even point to point wireless doesn't work, and digital cell phones barely work!

Did we pick a bad spot to move to or what!

Thanks for thinking of me ... but I can't see any way to make it work other than returning to dialup and I'd rather put up with Rogers than do that! :-(

Stuart

emmpeethree
Twizzling Flagella
Premium Member
join:2001-04-13
Richmond, BC

emmpeethree to SomeGuy4

Premium Member

to SomeGuy4
where can you buy 10 megabits of symmetrical bandwidth for 200 bucks?

also, you should be asking your neighbors, not those from 1000's of km radius of you!
smiley4me
join:2002-02-25
North York, ON

smiley4me to SomeGuy4

to SomeGuy4
I was thinking a similar thing to give each house in my area a 100Mbit connection but no one cares for high speed in my area It's a hard sell.
Kabdel
join:2002-02-07
Canada

Kabdel to SomeGuy4

to SomeGuy4
Anyone know how Magma's high speed is in Ottawa? They said they have a limit, but its not enforced unless its completely outrageous.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to SomeGuy4

Premium Member

to SomeGuy4
thats only $5/month cheaper than rogers or bell..and the hassle of getting money from everyone every month doesn't sound very practical..bell is soon going to allow you to use your own modem, so you can pay the $34.95/month price.

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

said by dirtyjeffer:
bell is soon going to allow you to use your own modem, so you can pay the $34.95/month price.

What do you know? Tell us.
smiley4me
join:2002-02-25
North York, ON

smiley4me to SomeGuy4

to SomeGuy4
Kind of like an internet co-op? There use to be a dial-up internet co-op in Ottawa. I don't know if it is still around or switched to DSL. Right now I'm watching the pricing for hydro poll right of way, right now about $40 a year. There is a court case that will hopefuly lower it to $15-$20 a year per pole. Maby then we will have some competition when cable, tel and internet merge into access via fiber. mmm ... fiber.
SomeGuy4
join:2002-05-15
Ottawa, ON

SomeGuy4

The provider i was talking about is hooked up on a fiber line that circles the city.

another thing is, we canadians have the cheapest bandwidth on the planet, why is rogers and sympatico being so greedy?

its all about profits in the end i suppose.
and here comes the death of broadband media as we know it.
unless internet 2 or someother service rolls out...

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

I don't think they are being "greedy" considering that most US broadband providers are close to or have broken the $50 per month barrier. Adelphia, who incidentally are also in financial trouble in their internet services, are at $43.95 and their TOS have a very specific NO SERVERS policy, including peer to peer!

The other problem is that we may have inexpensive Canadian bandwidth, but I'll lay odds that 90% of our bandwidth consumption is from US sources, that we have to pay for in US$!

TheMatrix
join:2001-02-12
Canada

TheMatrix to SomeGuy4

to SomeGuy4
[text was edited by author 2002-05-17 18:10:43]

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner
said by shaner:
said by dirtyjeffer:
bell is soon going to allow you to use your own modem, so you can pay the $34.95/month price.

there was a recent ad out with dell computers that had in internal modem and if you purchased this computer, you would get 3 free months of sympatico DSL and after you save the $10 modem rental charge because it's in your computer, so i would assume (don't say it, even though i know you want to) that they are contemplating ditching the required modem part-sometime-not necessarily in the next few months or anything.

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

Yeah. I'm the guy who posted that ad in the first place. But, I think it's a special deal with Dell. What better time to get people hooked up than when they buy their computer. It does look promising for the modem rental haters out there, but with all the changes happening right now, I wouldn't hold my breath. I just thought you knew something new that you weren't telling me. (yeah right);)

WallyThacker
The Central Scrutinizer
join:2002-02-12
Canada

WallyThacker to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer:
..bell is soon going to allow you to use your own modem, so you can pay the $34.95/month price.

It would be a positive step in the right direction. IF they implement it sooner rather than later.

[text was edited by author 2002-05-20 01:11:03]

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner
said by shaner:
said by dirtyjeffer:

i also found this in their terms of service:

Question: Can I buy the DSL high speed modem, instead of renting it, and therefore avoid its monthly rental charge?

Answer: The Bell Sympatico High Speed Edition service is the first of our consumer services for high speed access to the Internet. We expect that our service will be evolving rapidly, as will the technology making it possible. We feel that it is premature, at this point, to ask our customers to invest in an expensive piece of equipment.

Once the service has evolved into a more mature state, we will review the different options available to subscribers.

Magma User
@d-ip.magma.ca

Magma User to Kabdel

Anon

to Kabdel
Magma is going to be monitoring usage for residential clients, however it will be 10gb each way (not combined) which is 5 more then Bell at the same rate (This is currently pasted on the residential highspeed rates page).

They also do not block ports and offer Static ips and custom reverse DNS resolution for your ip if desired (for mail servers etc).

Well worth the money. Check it out yourself before you call Bell.
»www.magma.ca

Oh and I was told they wil be offering residential service in Montreal and Toronto soon as well (they offer corporate highspeed in both locations now).