join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

2 edits

2 recommendations

leibold

MVM

What is RTT and why is it suddenly showing up on my phone ?

Just had a phone call and during the call both of us got a pop-up message about Real Time Text saying:

"You just experienced an RTT call. To change how you would like to use RTT. tap SETTINGS."

Both of us are using Samsung 5G phones (different models) and both are on T-Mobile. Neither of us has ever heard of RTT before and we did not click on either the "Not Now" or the "Settings" option from the unexpected pop-up. The phone call was a normal phone call.

What is this all about and why is it happening now ?
I did get a software update for my phone this week.

I mainly want to know whether this is some malware that I need to worry about or some "feature" Samsung and/or T-Mobile are inflicting on unsuspecting users.

Edit: Apparently an intentional new feature. I found some references to being able to turn it off which don't match the settings (under accessibility) on my phone. I found other comments from Android users who are irritated by RTT (some dating back to 2019) and saying that RTT cannot be disabled. It will always be on if the caller is using RTT or has RTT capability.

Further reading shows that RTT is a FCC supported feature for IP telephony instead of TTY support: »www.fcc.gov/real-time-text

Edit2: I'm still not sure why both of us got the same pop-up at the same time and neither of us had initiated an RTT call.

Da Geek Kid
join:2003-10-11
::1

4 recommendations

Da Geek Kid

I believe this is the new feature as part of VoLTE. RTT is while you are on a call you can receive a text using the voice service at the same time. No need to create another connection for this text.

Well Bonded
join:2015-10-17
Naples, FL

2 recommendations

Well Bonded

said by Da Geek Kid:

I believe this is the new feature as part of VoLTE. RTT is while you are on a call you can receive a text using the voice service at the same time. No need to create another connection for this text.

Based on what I have been told at AT&T you are correct.