how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

yo123

@sympatico.ca

Rogers cable modems?

What kind of modems do you guys have? The new ones or still
the old motorala ones? Do they make a difference, if so which one do you think is better?

Also what type of new cable modems is rogers offering? I heard there offering Alcatel 3-meg modem ones now, but i cant find any information on them can anyone help or have it? good?

toronto20012
Premium
join:2001-08-10
Markham, ON

I have a Motorola Cyber surf... pretty good for now.
--
The faster, the better!

travisc

join:2001-11-09
Uxbridge, ON
reply to yo123

I've got a Terayon... Had it for 3 years or so now.

yo123

@sympatico.ca
reply to yo123

Terayon and Cybersurf? Which one is older + better?

Anyone heard of any info about rogers offering alcatel ones?

skillton

join:2000-09-14
Scarborough, ON
reply to yo123

under good conditions the cybersurfr can ping as low as 2ms to the 1st hop... my terayon modem pinged like 25 :/
the terayon is newer then the motorola

Dark_Cobra

join:2002-04-12
North York, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·FreePhoneLine
reply to yo123

The modem doesnt make ne difference, Rogers is capped @ 3000/400kbps, both the terayon, and the motorola can do 35mbps down/10mbps up. the ping will differ where u live, how far u r from the 1st hop, how many people there are in your area, and the signal strength. i have a new terayon, i think Motorola has stopped making that model.
--
AMD T-BIRD 1.2GHz - 256Meg - 4x 32 AGP - 39.5Gig - CABLE - XP PRO - 2000 PRO -I AM IMMORTAL, I HAVE INSIDE ME GOD OF KINGS, YEAH, I HAVE NO RIVAL, NO MAN CAN BE MY EQUAL

travisc

Uxbridge, ON
reply to yo123

I thought Alcatel made DSL modems, not cable modems. They're certainly not a big player in the cable modem market, anyway.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to yo123

I have the same Terayon that I've originally gotten with Shaw almost 4 years ago... Funny how it used to be so FAST before, now its slow... must be the MODEM that just got old HUH TED ROGERS??? hehehe....
--
Go Leafs Go! Die Sens Die! -- Already Dead!

poweruhs

join:2002-05-03
reply to yo123

I have a Motorola Cybersurf modem from Shaw when cable modem was first introduced in my area. My neighbours, who have cable also, have the same brand modem. Anyways, my modem is beige in colour while my neighbour's is dark gray. Is there a difference? If there is (obviously the gray one is newer), should i bug Roger's for a new one?

elusion
Premium
join:2001-10-25
Scarborough, ON
reply to HiVolt

I cant stop cracking up hivolt..lmao. I have a terayon modem also...I had the blue shark fin one...lol..was getting slow speeds with it...so I decided to let it meet my friend bat-to-modem, they had an amazing conversation. So amazing that I ended up getting a new modem, or should I say old, and with the old modem I got amazing speeds, and still maintaining them. The old modem is the big black terayon that takes up half of your desk space.
--
-In the game of broadband, sometimes you win some, sometimes you loose some-

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13

The black one is a DOCSIS 1.0 compliant TeraJet modem. The blue shark fin one is a proprietary TeraPro modem (used in conjunction with the TeraLink system - non DOCSIS)

GhEttOGaL
Premium
join:2002-05-18
Mississauga
reply to yo123

so the blue sharkfin(is that how u describe it?!) terayon is no good?! i got my modem last yr..and it's refurbished! they had to come by 4 times to switch the modem! what modem is better out there right now...do you think rogers will switch modems for me?!

btw...can you believe they're making us rent the damn modems now?!??!
--
---You learn something new everyday---

travisc

Uxbridge, ON

No... Because they're not? Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no modem rental charge yet.

GhEttOGaL
Premium
Mississauga

said by travisc:
No... Because they're not? Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no modem rental charge yet.
actually i called them and they told me that they started charging since april...5 bux a month for it...
--

travisc

Uxbridge, ON
reply to yo123

It's just a question of semantics. They increased their price in lockstep with Sympatico. They can call it modem rental, they can call it whatever they want. The bottom line is, the price is $44.95 per month, same as Sympatico.

skillton

Scarborough, ON
reply to yo123

"The black one is a DOCSIS 1.0 compliant TeraJet modem. The blue shark fin one is a proprietary TeraPro modem (used in conjunction with the TeraLink system - non DOCSIS)"
the black one is the older version of the terapro modem... i used to have it... rogers doesnt use DOCSIS modems from terayon... they use RCA's... and alot of areas aint DOCSIS compliant anyway

hman1

join:2002-01-17
Canada
reply to yo123

Hey guys! You are the lucky ones. I have a cheap crap LANCITY Modem. Slow. Period. BUt sometimes fast web load.!

yo123

@sympatico.ca
reply to yo123

umm this is strange, but i might have heard wrong it was on the phone. Now the high speed technication said its a Ericsson and includes USB? He said its a newer version that just came out?

Im not sure if im getting my information right lol.. too confusing now..

GhEttOGaL
Premium
Mississauga

said by yo123:
umm this is strange, but i might have heard wrong it was on the phone. Now the high speed technication said its a Ericsson and includes USB? He said its a newer version that just came out?

Im not sure if im getting my information right lol.. too confusing now..
my friend actually has that modem...it's pretty small and it's white...looks pretty kewl...i'm not sure there's much of a difference w/ any of their modems..but i wouldn't mind getting that modem
--

skillton

Scarborough, ON
reply to yo123

the ericsson modem is docsis 1.1 compliant
so is the RCA modem
the rest of the modems are @ least 3 years old in design