uniqs
share rss forum feed

Bunko Kanazawa
Bunko Country

join:2001-06-21
Canada

TV Tuner in conjunction with Rogers

Hi all,

Got a question. I am planning to install a TV TUNER on my computer and was wondering if I CAN or SHOULD split the cable that is going into the Rogers Terayon modem?

A while ago I heard from someone that it wasn't a good idea at all to split it. Is this correct?
--
AMD Athlon XP 1600+, Asus A7V266-E w/RAID, Thermaltake Volcano 7 HSF, 512 DDR Micron PC2100 RAM, Enermax 350W (Dual Fans) PSU, ATI Radeon 64 DDR VIVO Retail, Windows XP Pro Build 2600, Rogers.com Broadband Service w/ Netgear RT314 Router

elusion
Premium
join:2001-10-25
Scarborough, ON

That is not a good idea to split it from there, a tech came here before and did that when I wanted an extra outlet...I went ballistic...My speeds dropped...He had to come back the same day and fix it. I was truly pist.
--
-In the game of broadband, sometimes you win some, sometimes you loose some-

Bunko Kanazawa
Bunko Country

Canada

Thats exactly what I thought...but I just wanted to make sure with the guys here.

Clarkey

@kraft.ca
reply to Bunko Kanazawa

I don't think it really matters. I've done the same thing, and my speeds didn't drop (however, they were never as fast as some here report... I get no faster than 1.5 Mbits/s) Anyway, it can't hurt to try it...

skillton

join:2000-09-14
Scarborough, ON
reply to Bunko Kanazawa

when i lived in an appartment thats how my cable modem connected... thru a split cable...i had no problems and it was split in 3 places... i got up to 2400kbps/375kbps

Bunko Kanazawa
Bunko Country

Canada

Really?

That is interesting...maybe I should give it a try...

neeloy

join:2002-03-08
North Las Vegas, NV
reply to Bunko Kanazawa

Get a good quality splitter, preferably one rated for splitting digital cable, and you shouldn't have any problems. Using a regular cable TV splitter may give you problems and is generally not recommended.

elusion
Premium
Scarborough, ON
reply to Bunko Kanazawa

Bunko, all the splitters that rogers give out are well fitted for digital cable and normal cable. You can go out and buy a splitter for your self, but get a 2 way splitter, and make sure it looses 3.5 DB or less, I doubt it can go any less though, Unless u have one split loosing more signal than the other one ( more expensive). But you can try it, But I am almost positive you will loose some speeds. Doesn't your cable already split? You already have other tv sets in your house, your internet cable probably splits already. Anyways, try it if you want.
--

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable

Most splitters are simple Y splitters ... and will reduce signal by 3.5 dB (basically 50%) on each leg.

The modem is provisioned not just for speed, but also to cope with the signal level at your modem. When you reduce the level, the modem must be set to be more sensitive, but in doing so, the effect of noise increases. This may be more significant on the backlink circuit (upload), where noise is already significant.

If you have good signal strength and no retransmits (do a line quality test here on DSLreports) then you probably will get away with splitting the signal to the modem with a good quality splitter and cables, but far better to split the leg providing TV to the rest of the house.

A splitter is a splitter is a splitter, in theory. It is just a box with 3 75 ohm carbon composition resistors in it. The quality of the splitter depends on the quality of the box: most importantly, the shielding of the box to prevent ingress.

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to Bunko Kanazawa

some splitters are also designed to handle different amounts of bandwidth as well..they usually have their frequency range posted right on them..i will get some specs and prices and post them later today for you on the splitters i sell (they are used for splitting satellite feeds).
--
Better. Faster. First.

Bunko Kanazawa
Bunko Country

Canada

Let's clarify this situation, should I split or not? if I do, could someone give the specs of the desire splitter?

Thanks!

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to Bunko Kanazawa

the splitter we sell at work is $12.99 and its frequency range is 5-2300 MHz (greater bandwidth is required for satellite and not for cable TV-so usually regular cable TV splitters will have a limited frequency range and be a little less expensive)... i think this type of splitter should be fine..almost all lesser prices splitters don't have the bandwidth and can actually reduce performance.
--
Better. Faster. First.

Clarkey

@kraft.ca
reply to Bunko Kanazawa

The main cable line in my house gets gets split three ways first: one to the family room TV, one to the master bedroom TV, and one to the den, where the cable modem is. In the den I split it again, one branch goes to the Modem, one to another TV. I'm still getting 1.5 Mbps download speed. The two way splitter I think is a good splitter, but the three way is a cheapo I got from home depot. If I'm still getting this kind of speed, then I can conclude that splitting the signal just once should not cause an issue with your download speed. However, I do notice my TV cable reception is piss poor. The rogers rep said that the line to the house is in bad need of repair, and will be fixed in a couple of weeks. In theory I should see even better download speeds once this is done.

elusion
Premium
Scarborough, ON
reply to Bunko Kanazawa

Clarkey, if your tv reception is poor, don't you think your speeds could've been better, if it wasn't split so many times?
--

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa

He's probably on a capped terapro ... but he's definitely close to his node and has good quality lines to his neighbourhood with no ingress. I suspect he'll be on a fibre node.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa

There's very little difference between a $5 splitter and a $10 splitter ... and a 900MHz splitter and a 2GHz splitter!

I'll lay odds if you cracked both open you'd be surprised.

Stuart

skillton

join:2000-09-14
Scarborough, ON
reply to Bunko Kanazawa

oh i was using a 900mhz splitter... from the dollar store... the other splitter was installed by rogers... and i still got 2000kbps+ and always 45kB/sec upload... my pings were also very stabile @ 25 ms to the 1st hop

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to Bunko Kanazawa

i wasn't sure if it mattered or not...it was just something i thought may make a difference...i only thought of it because the 900 MHz splitters don't work properly with satellite, so i thought cable broadband might be the same. guess not though.
--
Better. Faster. First.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable

Ahhh ... you can't install a regular splitter on satellite for different reasons ... you need a power pass splitter.

Your satellite receiver provides power up the coax to the LNB at the dish. If you put it through a conventional splitter, you've just lowered the voltage on the LNB and made the splitter HOT (and maybe burnt it out!)

On a power pass splitter, you separate the signal through a DC block and send it through the split to the output. You separate the power and filter off the signal, and send it to one of the splits, remixing it with the signal. For this reason you find that a satellite splitter has greater loss through one path than the other. They rarely split evenly.