Search similar:

uniqs

alex69s
Alex S
join:2002-03-02
Richmond Hill, ON

alex69s

Advice On Rogers

Hey, im new here. I just ordered rogers, and i used to be with sympatico, but i had many problems, and was very frusterated so i switched over. My package is coming friay, and i would like to know if there are any tweak settings that i should consider when i have rogers. Also, I live in Richmond Hill. If anybody lives there, can they give me their opinion on speeds?
Thanks a lot
al
[text was edited by author 2002-05-22 18:53:06]
alex69s

alex69s

By the way here are my current tweak settings :

»monitor.dslreports.com/t ··· nXPpppoe

However, i tested this still on my Sympatico HSE. Please tell me what the optimal setting are for rogers.
Thanks a lot

Al

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to alex69s

Premium Member

to alex69s
you should have tried the recommended tweaks that it already suggests under the big green area...your pings are high-so you are probably in an area that hasn't turned off interleaving yet, and your speeds are slow compared to what you should be getting, why not spend the night playing around with the sympatico connection, feel free to come in the sympatico forum, there are many people who are much more knowledgeable about that stuff than i am.
Kabdel
join:2002-02-07
Canada

Kabdel to alex69s

to alex69s
Good call... It seems like half of rogers customers get amazing connections and the other half get crap to decent... Hopefully you are lucky one. Usually though a bad day of rogers beats a good day of sympatico

You can try lowering the RWIn to Rwin - 46720, MTU to 1500 and TTL to 128, with everything else default... I personally have the RWin set 64420 similar to yours. Enjoy your rogers connection.

Here is my tweak test if it means anything
»monitor.dslreports.com/t ··· a=normal
[text was edited by author 2002-05-22 22:39:18]

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by Kabdel:
Usually though a bad day of rogers beats a good day of sympatico.
hmmmm...i disagree...check mine out:

»ny-monitor.dslreports.co ··· nXPpppoe

faster speeds (even though they aren't accurate), lower pings (i usually get much lower), and no tweaks-all factory settings.
Kabdel
Canada

Kabdel to alex69s

to alex69s
You can't take a joke... I knew you would reply to that message. Bells downloads are usually between 700 kbps to 1000 kbps from what i have seen from friends, message boards etc.

You are never going to see over 130 kb/s downloads... Meanwhile most rogers customers download atleast double that speed.

Good ol' Rogers although can be slower than sympatico, is usually as in 9 times out 10 between 1000 kbps and 2500 kbps.

skillton
join:2000-09-14
Scarborough, ON

skillton to alex69s

to alex69s
from what i know rogers in richmond hill is horrible... unless they've upgraded ur area to docsis modems... then u'll probably be happy with it
skillton

skillton to alex69s

to alex69s
"faster speeds (even though they aren't accurate), lower pings (i usually get much lower), and no tweaks-all factory settings.
--
Better. Faster. First."
the reason u get lower pings is cuz ur connection is on fast path not interleaved. and the tweaker speeds shouldnt even be mentioned... i used to get 800kbps in the tweak test and 2200kbps in the speed test like a few seconds after...
rogers on docsis modems pings around 5ms to the 1st hop... maybe a litle higher... under 10ms anyway
sympatico on fastpath pings around 15ms or so to the 1st hop... i ping 55ms to my 1st hop on sympatico... soo...

mindrev
@cpe.net.cable.rogers

mindrev to alex69s

Anon

to alex69s
I live in Richmond Hill. I had problems with high ping times "200 average" and slow upload speeds "50-100Kbit".
Now I have a new docsis modem and my average ping time is 7ms without changing anything!! My upload and download speed is at the end of caps "400up and 3000down".

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to alex69s

Premium Member

to alex69s
rogers hi speed is in theory better..but they have too many problems with outages..i'll take "pretty fast", and always works any day.
Kabdel
Canada

Kabdel to alex69s

to alex69s
"have too many problems with outages"
I've had my rogers for 8 month... It has only went out for about 4 hours one time (knock on wood)... That was it.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to alex69s

Premium Member

to alex69s
yeah...i know...some areas are pretty good..but it sucks around here.

alex69s
Alex S
join:2002-03-02
Richmond Hill, ON

alex69s

Thanks a lot for everyones advice. I'm looking forward to between 8-11 tommorow, and then i can tell you my speeds, line quility and so forth.

Thanks
Al
[text was edited by author 2002-05-23 13:51:18]
alex69s

alex69s

Hmmm.. theyre late. Rogers said they would be here about at 8 and at the latest 11, and theyre not here yet. Dissapointing.

Al
alex69s

alex69s

!!! I call rogers to ask about the status of my order, and they say, " I wish i could, but my computer is frozen"!! I hope their internet is better than their tech support

Al
alex69s

alex69s

SOO FAST!!!!!
»/speed ··· 22259021

im really satisfied with the service even if installation was late...
i have the ericsoon piperider modem.. any thoughts on that?
alex69s

alex69s

Ok here is my info, tell me if i should change anything.

Line Quality : »/quali ··· l/766660

Speed Test : »/speed ··· 22261437

Tweak Test : »ny-monitor.dslreports.co ··· a=normal

Thanks a lot

Al
Kabdel
Canada

Kabdel to alex69s

to alex69s
Congrats on the good numbers... Hopefully they stay good like that.
[text was edited by author 2002-05-24 14:00:00]

skillton
Scarborough, ON

skillton to alex69s

to alex69s
the ericsson modem is DOCSIS 1.1 Compliant... its very good... i think they said its gonna be DOCSIS 2.0 compliant with a firmware upgrade...

travisc
join:2001-11-09
Uxbridge, ON

travisc

It'll be years before Rogers goes to 2.0 or even 1.1. They've still got most areas that aren't DOCSIS compliant. No sense going to a higher standard until everything else is up to spec.

train wreck
join:2002-01-26
Scarborough, ON

train wreck to alex69s

to alex69s
There are a few areas that are docsis 1.1 compliant. My friend got an Ericsson Piperider modem when he signed up to Rogers a few weeks ago, and I know of a few other people who have docsis modems as well.

skillton
Scarborough, ON

skillton to travisc

to travisc
said by travisc:
It'll be years before Rogers goes to 2.0 or even 1.1. They've still got most areas that aren't DOCSIS compliant. No sense going to a higher standard until everything else is up to spec.
actually most areas are already either compliant or in the process of beeing upgraded to be docsis 1.1 compliant
docsis 2.0 is still in testing i think
my area is going to be docsis compliant in june

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

I'd heard they were skipping DOCSIS 1.* compliance for the network parts and going straight to 2 but that doesn't mean they'll be installing DOCSIS comaptible modems to replace the ultracheap TeraPro's that are still being installed all over the place.

paddler64
join:2002-05-07
Nirvana

paddler64 to alex69s

to alex69s
Not sure what Richmond Hill is like but I would go toThe Residential Broadband Users Association There are recommended tweaks there...I have found they work reasonably well.
said by alex69s:
Hey, im new here. I just ordered rogers, and i used to be with sympatico, but i had many problems, and was very frusterated so i switched over. My package is coming friay, and i would like to know if there are any tweak settings that i should consider when i have rogers. Also, I live in Richmond Hill. If anybody lives there, can they give me their opinion on speeds?
Thanks a lot
al
[text was edited by author 2002-05-22 18:53:06]