how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dtong_ck

join:2001-12-18
Toronto, ON

question of using a signal booster

I just tried out using a cable signal booster(the one from radio shack that plug in AC outlet) to see if it will help my internet speed. It turned out I can't even get a connection. I can't get back the ip address. Anybody try this before and why ? Thanks.

tms

@PPP.TOR3.ENOREO.ON.C
Amplifiers are designed to work between a set range of frequencies, most coaxial powered amplifiers are designed to deliver television signals, which fit between the VHF and UHF bands. Your internet service is outside of that range, and hence the amplifier is likely actually attenuating the signal you are trying to boost. If you want to amplify the internet signal, you'll have to find one designed for that purpose (if there is such a thing) - alternately (no clue what the frequency range utilized by this service is, so no idea if it would work) you could try one of those amps designed for DBS satelite services (just make sure you can return it).

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
reply to dtong_ck
Cable signal boosters are one way devices, designed to amplify the signal coming *from* cable. They have no way to pass the modem signal back through to the cable line.

If you installed this booster incorrectly if it was "booster + Power injector", chances are good you fried your modem.

Even if you had a two way amplifier, you normally won't improve your speeds. The maximum speed of the modem is set by its provisioning (i.e. the way your line was set at installation, which takes into accont the noise on your line and signal levels). This is the optimum speed. You won't get it higher than that unless the modem is reprovisioned which is only done when there are line changes.

Most declines in speed are then either caused by cable faults, or the loading on you node.

Note though that the speed of your transfers can be affected by the buffering capabilities of your own computer. Do a tweak test from the tests part of this site.

mau108
Mau
Premium
join:2001-10-07
Thornhill, ON
reply to dtong_ck
How about renewing ip?

Exit
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-04-10
Canada
Boosting the signal would most likely put the modem levels out of range and thats why you wouldn't be able to connect let alone get an IP.

Steve
--
18.98Ghz of Cancer killing power commin at yah.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Even a DBS booster won't work, because it's not bidirectional ... i.e. the uplink goes away. So as far as the CMTS at the headend is concerned, it never hears from the modem if there's a booster in there.

dtong_ck

join:2001-12-18
Toronto, ON
reply to dtong_ck
Thank you all for the information. I should have asked before I try that booster. Luckily, I have not fried my modem that's why i still can post to this wonderful forum.

smiley4me

join:2002-02-25
North York, ON
reply to dtong_ck
There are bidirectional amps out there but they are like $500. It is cheaper just to get a Rogers tec. to visit your site if you are having problems. An amp is not likely to improve speed unless your TV signal is realy bad as well.