how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

shinichi2000

join:2001-09-23

Question about Roger@home Cable internet

Hello All, i have 2 questions about rogers cable @home

1. Does Rogers have any techniques to detect if Im using a proper network card? For example, Im having 2 network cards. One is SOHO (supplied by Rogers), and another is D-Link (included when I bought my PC). I cant use the D-link to get online. Everytime I plug the cable to the D-Link one, even though the light is on, Im always offline. After I change back to the SOHO, everything is ok. Has anyone faced this problem before?

2. Recently, Im always disconnected from Rogers after being online for a while, about 7 or more hours. I cant ping any hosts or servers, nor websites. Once this happened, I have to turn my PC off, wait for a few mins, then turn it back on, and it's ok again. I emailed to ask them, and they said my connection is ok, and they asked me to check my driver (Im using XP Pro). I dont think that is the problem about driver (cux I use XP since last Dec, and the problem only occurs very recently). Does anyone have any ideas about that?

Thx in advance!

drprat

join:2002-02-02

well actually, i think they do have restrictions on your nic.... what's known as your MAC address or Physical Address (directly linked to your nic) determines what phub/hub u connect to...... i have a dlink (purchased sep) and a aopen (provided by rogers).... although both work, each one gives me totally different ips because i connect to totally different phubs/hubs.... currently i'm using the dlink (my own) nic and no probs... maybe it depends on what kinda modem u have.....

as for your disconnect problem, does your ip seem to be changing after each disconnect? have u noticed any other connections issues (speed, latency, etc.)? are u sure there's no work going on in your area?

hope i added some insite...

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to shinichi2000

Call up Rogers and ask them to reset the mac address for your account, tell them that the NIC that they provided blew up, and you bought another one you want to use. They might ask for the new card's mac address, so do an IPCONFIG /ALL in a CMD window to show its mac address.
--
Thanks Leafs for a great season & playoffs.

elusion
Premium
join:2001-10-25
Scarborough, ON
reply to shinichi2000

When you switch the nics, did you make sure to release the ip from the soho, and renew on the dlink? That's how I switch, you cant switch by just plugging it out and in.

bbzidane

join:2001-08-29
Kirkland, WA
reply to shinichi2000

you might wanna reset your modem as well

i have to reset my modem every time i use a different nic

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
reply to shinichi2000

btw forget the @home part ... that's long gone.

It's now all Rogers ... Rogers HiSpeed Internet ... and no part is owned by @home!

Just so you know.

unthread

@cpe.net.cable.rogers
reply to shinichi2000

if you're using a terayon terapro, they take a little while to forget the MAC address. if you're plugged into one ethernet card and the service is working fine, you should power off the modem for 5 minutes or so, then power back up and use the new ethernet card.

worked for me when i switched from my computer to my housemate's before i had the router setup.

datac8
Rogerstech

join:2002-06-08
Toronto, ON
reply to shinichi2000

First of all theres no reason to change to the dlink card, but if you really wanna, make sure you release the IP, change,then renew the IP on the second card. It just wont work otherwise...unless you have a lancity modem, but thats another story. Also you may have to unplug/replug the modem if it doesnt work right away.

As for the 7 hour dying connection, that seems strange, but it couldn't hurt to download the latest NIC drivers and replace them. (update driver in device manager). Also you may want to remove the unused NIC, or disable it... check any router your using, replace the both NICs with 1 new one if all else fails and see if that does the trick.

When you say "I'm always disconnected from rogers" do you mean your modem goes offline or that you just cant surf or use the connection? After the connection has died, do a ipconfig and see if your computer still has an IP. If you have a terayon modem, call tech support and have them watch your dhcp process in the SMC DHCP tool.

hope something in there helps ya out

dc.

mau108
Mau
Premium
join:2001-10-07
Thornhill, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to shinichi2000

yo datac

I formatted the other day, I didnt release IP before I formated but did AFTER I formated and renewed the ip....

Is this bad? My friend green was telling me , that my connection will stop working after a few days.
--
...:::M.A.U.1.0.8:::...

lexsteele
Krazyk9

join:2002-01-15
Westmount, QC
reply to shinichi2000

said by shinichi2000:
Recently, Im always disconnected from Rogers after being online for a while, about 7 or more hours. I cant ping any hosts or servers, nor websites. Once this happened, I have to turn my PC off, wait for a few mins, then turn it back on, and it's ok again. I emailed to ask them, and they said my connection is ok, and they asked me to check my driver (Im using XP Pro).
I too have been having the same problem lately. Rogers told me the same thing as you. What I did was reinstall my TCP/Ip stack ......I've done this two days ago and things have been mine so far. Try it, it won't hurt. To Reinstall TCP/IP do the following:

1. Navigate to: C:\windows\inf
2. Find the File: nettcpip.inf
3. Right click the file and choose install

With regard to the speed of the command, it is instantaneous, that is why it will almost seem like it did nothing at all

Like I said it's been two days and things have been fine but I still don't know if the problem has been fixed entirely. If you find out anything, let me know please.
--
»www.krazyk9.com - One-stop-shop for online Sports Contests. Currently running a Hockey, World Cup, and Football Contest

elusion
Premium
Scarborough, ON
reply to shinichi2000

Mau I didn't say you will loose it, I said you might experience problems, because I did. when I formatted once, I didn't release my ip before I formatted, then after it worked, after a day I started getting disconnected, turns out it was a problem with the mac address, or something, so whenever I decide to format, I always release my ip before I format.
--
-In the game of broadband, sometimes you win some, sometimes you loose some-

mau108
Mau
Premium
Thornhill, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by green1074:
Mau I didn't say you will loose it, I said you might experience problems, because I did. when I formatted once, I didn't release my ip before I formatted, then after it worked, after a day I started getting disconnected, turns out it was a problem with the mac address, or something, so whenever I decide to format, I always release my ip before I format.

THATS totaly dumb...

Pointless, useless......
--
...:::M.A.U.1.0.8:::...

OLDb34tBoX
Premium
join:2001-03-07
reply to shinichi2000

said by green1074:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THATS totaly dumb...

Pointless, useless......

I'll agree, format clears all information, but thanks for trying out Green, I still love ya. =]
--
"That Tommy Hilfiger pose, can't block my verbal flows." - Tachichi

elusion
Premium
Scarborough, ON

reply to shinichi2000

hmmm, I wouldn't say nothing if it didn't happen, because it did aite. Why would I say it to you mau, if I did not have some sort of experience with it, it's not totally dumb. I said it might, I didnt say it would.
[text was edited by author 2002-06-09 10:07:00]

mau108
Mau
Premium
Thornhill, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

reply to shinichi2000

I'll take your word for it little buddy....

If it does give me problems ill reformat

No Biggie

[text was edited by author 2002-06-09 10:44:03]

datac8
Rogerstech

Toronto, ON
reply to mau108

No, thats incorrect what your friend said.

The IP addressing in DHCP is based on the NIC's MAC address, as long as its the same NIC, your fine.

dc.

datac8
Rogerstech

Toronto, ON
reply to lexsteele

If all else fails, try this command to flush your tcp/ip stack and reset to original settings:

at the command prompt:

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

use with caution, as it makes significant changes to your registry settings, taking them back to a default state.

see
»support.microsoft.com/default.as···;q299357

for more details.

dc.

elusion
Premium
Scarborough, ON
reply to shinichi2000

I wonder, what did happen to my connection, if it wasn't because of formatting....*goes off into thinking world**. Can someone please help me figure that out, anyways i better go finish my project.