Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

lexsteele
Krazyk9

join:2002-01-15
Westmount, QC

Will this effect my connection????

Just recently I found out that rogers' tech guys split my cable line in two spots and just connected them together without putting anything on them to block against whether, etc. Anyway they finally came and fixed that and my speeds improved a lot to say the least.

What they did was they ran a new line from my green box outside of my house but as I requested them to run that line straight into the house, they said they couldn't because they're not insured blah blah blah.......so they made me speak to their supervisor and apparently this is true. Anyway, so they connected the line from inside my house to this new line outside and put his grey box over it. My question is that if this line were to run straight into my house will it make a difference with my connection?? Also, inside my house, the line is split by a splitter, one going for my tv the other for my internet. Will this make a difference if I had two seperate cable lines, one for my tv one for my internet??

Thx
--
»www.krazyk9.com - One-stop-shop for online Sports Contests. Currently running a Hockey, World Cup, and Football Contest

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

Similar thing happened to me years ago when Shaw was the ISP in the area, which is now serviced by Rogers. Somehow my wiring inside the house deteriorated, could have been a splitter in the wall or something, that the cablemodem would refuse to connect, but TV was still fine. What Shaw did was run a brand new line from the green box in the ground on my front lawn to the side of the house, where the usual gray box sits on the wall, and they put a splitter from the new line, one went to the house for the cabletv, and the other went along the side of my house straight to my window and directly into the cablemodem. the connection worked flawlessly and improved quite a bit. If Rogers say its not insured to run the wire for you directly, ask them to provide you some coax wire, and you run the wire yourself and they'll hook it up for you most likely.
--
Thanks Leafs for a great season & playoffs.

Exit
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-04-10
Canada
reply to lexsteele

Take a read in the FAQ about splitters.
»Cable Modems and Wiring Issues

If you have a good one then you shouldn't lose to much speed but a line right from the outside of your house it always best.

Steve
--
18.98Ghz of Cancer killing power commin at yah.

pctechguy2

join:2001-10-07
Mississauga, ON
reply to lexsteele

Thats funny....When I had my inet installed he asked for the permission to drill and away he went. Put the splitter on the cse(that grey box) rdrilled the hole and ran the new cable line to the modem...the modem has only been offline 2x. 1ce when I moved the modem across the room and I had to increase the length of line (thank goodness for dollarstore gold plated ends and cable..lol) and the other when they were working down the street. One thing I did want was the modem ON my desk and NOT on the floor. It would have been a real pain to crawl under the desk to reset it. I have talked to ppl on the phone that call in at work to reset the modem and they say either "hold on i have to get on the floor" or " I cant, its behind the filing cabinet.

mau108
Mau
Premium
Thornhill, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to lexsteele

For me they rewired it , giving a seperate connection to my hi speed.

1. I did not have a cable jack in my room
2. he said there will be too much interference therefore he rewired it like sooo.

Getting pretty good speeds (sometimes it slows down but heck thats CABLE )
--
•·.·´¯`·.·•MAU108•·.·´¯`·.·•

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to lexsteele

it's been a few days now mau...how are you enjoying the "dark side"?
--
Better. Faster. First.

elusion
Premium
join:2001-10-25
Scarborough, ON
reply to lexsteele

My inside cable would be connected directly outside, but it's a special black cable outside, too thick to go on the tv or anything, so they put a white one on that, without using a splitter, so I don't loose signal there. Then they bring it inside, and split it, my internet is put on the first split, and my televisions run off the second split, and split later on in the line if necessary.Getting great speeds, even if I have the longest line in history, that's what the tech said.
--
-In the game of broadband, sometimes you win some, sometimes you loose some-

mau108
Mau
Premium
Thornhill, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to lexsteele

dirtyjeffer:
the dark side is slowly getting darker

hope it doesnt goo pitch black on me!
--
•·.·´¯`·.·•MAU108•·.·´¯`·.·•

surflord
Bulby

join:2001-11-28
North York, ON
reply to lexsteele

so that means it's slowing down mau108? Man you used to sing the praises of Sympatico HSE like crazy, about how it rocked blah blah blah...I think it probably rocked until your 6 month promotion ended. So honestly, how are you liking cable?

mau108
Mau
Premium
Thornhill, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by dsldufus:
so that means it's slowing down mau108? Man you used to sing the praises of Sympatico HSE like crazy, about how it rocked blah blah blah...I think it probably rocked until your 6 month promotion ended. So honestly, how are you liking cable?
yup after the actually I used it for 8 months, now that they have implemented a cap I got rid of them...

Rogers is fine man, at times slow but thats cable init

2002-06-07 14:55:31 EST: 2129 / 248
Your download speed : 2129527 bps, or 2129 kbps.
A 259.9 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 248108 bps, or 248 kbps.
Seems like broadband .. above the 1mbit barrier!

Not bad, still better then Sympatico
--
...:::M.A.U.1.0.8:::...

surflord
Bulby

join:2001-11-28
North York, ON
reply to lexsteele

over double the speeds on a consistent basis? If so, nothing wrong with that mau108.

mau108
Mau
Premium
Thornhill, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by dsldufus:
over double the speeds on a consistent basis? If so, nothing wrong with that mau108.
YOU KIDDING!!!, I drop speed during peak hours sometimes...

Im not in a docsis based area
With bell had extremely low pings, consistant speeds...

Oh I have bell's speedstream 5360 modem, they havent claimed it back yet, give me an offer on it jkzzz
--
...:::M.A.U.1.0.8:::...