spc
uniqs

waxmuseum
join:2002-05-29
Toronto, ON

waxmuseum to TMage

to TMage

Re: Rogers High-Speed Download Caps

well i have decided that if for some reason my new isp decides to start with the cap crap. im going to go back to 56k dial up.
cause i wont beable to do what i got hi speed for anyway,
and what bell and rogers made me feel like i needed it for.

why dont they find out who is running ftp sites and slow them right the hell down.

or why not just have a slow down cap?
once you hit 5 gig it gets a 1/4 slower and when you hit 7 it gets even slower and so on till its next to nothing?

anyone else think thats fair?
TMage
join:2002-06-05
Toronto, ON

TMage

said by waxmuseum:
why dont they find out who is running ftp sites and slow them right the hell down.

anyone else think thats fair?
(Long Message)

I don't see FTP as the problem. Like I said, I suspect the problem is file sharing and (one I forgot about) newsgroups. Both which unfortunately consume large amounts of bandwidth. What I don't understand is why Rogers (and by extension, Bell and any other broadband ISP) doesn't actually enforce their EUA. For example...

7k of their agreement says you won't run any servers (I'd quote the entire thing, but I don't think it's necessary). They can give some flexibility for the people who are just testing software on their computer, or don't cause a load. Something I'd like to point out to the people at Rogers and everyone else...(And forgive me if I'm a little rude about it)..."GUESS WHAT PEOPLE? FILE SHARING SOFTWARE IS FORM OF SERVER SOFTWARE!" And if you're causing a serious load on the network, you're also breaking conditions 7h and 7i where you won't disrupt or interfere with the network. People who run Kazaa or Morpheus or Limewire or whatever for the hour or two a day (get in, get what you want and get out) won't necessarily be seen as a heavy load (and if they've been configured intelligently, then they can lessen the load even more). But those who run 24/7 can be cut off at the discretion of the ISP.

Newsgroups are a different issue, but can be addressed (partly) by locking out certain newsgroups (namely some ALT.BINARIES.* ... once filtered through, it takes about five minutes a day for any new newsgroups to be authorized...it also makes for some good laughs when people try to request certain newsgroups). Now, this might cause the people to access other companies' news servers, But it is a start.

The other issue is getting software to throttle people down like that. Something like that would cost quite a bit, and slowing them down won't necessarily stop them.

I've said it before, and I'll probably be quoting this when I'm old and grey....there are other methods to deal with bandwidth hogs without having to punish everyone else with a heavy hand. Unfortunately, many ISPs (and many companies I know) forget about customer service, and customer input and just make decisions arbitrarily.

waxmuseum
Toronto, ON

waxmuseum

well ftp sites can be a problem when one of yourt friends is uploading/downloading 20 gig a day

combine all the ftp losers and you have a problem
TMage
join:2002-06-05
Toronto, ON

TMage

said by waxmuseum:
well ftp sites can be a problem when one of yourt friends is uploading/downloading 20 gig a day

combine all the ftp losers and you have a problem
True, but the number of people doing that are much fewer.

As well, that server clause could be used to deal with these people too. Besides, transferring 20gigs per day...I guess they're not doing much else with their connection.

waxmuseum
Toronto, ON

waxmuseum

no they arent doing much else with there connection

i would much rather a small increase in what im paying for my dsl than to have to worry about going over my 5 gig.

if my current supplier decides to impose a cap i will be out of a job.

currently where i live i can only get dsl or cable so im pretty screwed. Guess its back to school for me, or moving