how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Kabdel

join:2002-02-07
Canada

News on Cap and Speed cap from Rogers Techie

A rogers technician came by to check out on my terrible speeds... He found that my signal is very very weak, and that he'll send a maintence crew...

I then asked him about the caps like sympatico has and he said rogers will be 100% for sure implementing them by at least the end of the summer... I asked how much GB down and up we will get, and he said he doesn't know the exact amount...

He then told me that rogers will be also for sure capping the speed this summer at 1.5 down/ 192 up...

I guess we are getting caps too

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

said by Kabdel:
I guess we are getting caps too
You guess? Man, the writings been on the wall for months now. The only thing holding them back is the Docsis rollout.
--
I got my Sympatico HSE in a London box. Where did yours come from?

[text was edited by author 2002-06-07 19:53:45]

shaw cable dude

@204.209.x.x
reply to Kabdel

internt speeds and gig up and down are two completely differnet things.. ALL isp's have caps on bandwidth usage

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

said by shaw cable dude:
ALL isp's have caps on bandwidth usage
Wrong.
--
I got my Sympatico HSE in a London box. Where did yours come from?

elusion
Premium
join:2001-10-25
Scarborough, ON

reply to shaw cable dude

I don't think you understood what he was saying, Rogers is making 2 changes. The Internet speed will be capped by half, and they also plan to implement bandwidth caps by the end of this summer. Which everyone already knew.
--
-In the game of broadband, sometimes you win some, sometimes you loose some-

[text was edited by author 2002-06-08 00:02:22]

Kabdel

join:2002-02-07
Canada
reply to Kabdel

Ya, most people were saying that the advertised 1500/192 would just be to compensate for slower speeds that people are getting, but instead everyone will be capped at this soon.

datac8
Rogerstech

join:2002-06-08
Toronto, ON
reply to Kabdel

Well I work for Rogers and can confirm the bandwidth limitations are being put into place as we speak. 3mbits down to 1.5 mbits. The way they are positioning this is that its actually in the interest of the average consumer because this measure will limit the "bandwidth hogs" from slowing down everyone else's service (like everyone here? lol) Also some of you with older legacy Lancity modems may be interested to know that you can downgrade your service to "lite" edition and still get the same speeds for the next few months at least.

As for the bandwidth USAGE cap (eg like sympatico's 5GB/mo) that is on the books, but not yet... I believe they need to build some backend infrastructure before it can be implemented because of all the various technologies deployed across the network (eg terayon, lancity, motorola, docsis).

If you have specific questions, write me... i'm new here but will try to help everyone out. Please dont ask me to fix your billing etc...cuz i wont.

peace!
dc.

TMage

join:2002-06-05
Toronto, ON
reply to Kabdel

First off, welcome.

Second, if it's in the books, do they have a timeframe, and if they do, do they plan on letting us see what our usages are before they implement the transfer caps?

elusion
Premium
join:2001-10-25
Scarborough, ON

reply to Kabdel

I sure hope they let us see what our usage is like, some sort of a website would do me good, or a tool you can download off their website, that calculates the extra cost and everything else.
[text was edited by author 2002-06-09 16:36:44]

datac8
Rogerstech

join:2002-06-08
Toronto, ON
reply to Kabdel

As far as I know, no definate date as been determined as of yet. However now that Sympatico has gone ahead with their cap, I can't imagine it would be a really long time. At the earliest, I would think end of summer, but likely towards the end of the year is my guess.

As for checking usage beforehand, I myself have a sympatico account and got no such warning, or any indication of my usage, however they have built a tool into their "self serve" options that is called a bandwidth tracker that is backdated one month before the start of the caps.

I imagine rogers will do something similar, and not anything above and beyond... my recommendation is you go to download.com and download one of the many bandwidth monitors and start keeping track yourself for the next few months so you have an idea for yourself.

If you are browsing, emailing, chatting and downloading tons of mp3's, you still will likely be okay, but if your into movies, file trading, games etc. then 5 GB is not much.

dc.

Osupreme

join:2002-06-04

said by datac:

If you are browsing, emailing, chatting and downloading tons of mp3's, you still will likely be okay, but if your into movies, file trading, games etc. then 5 GB is not much.

dc.
So you mean USING broadband?

Osupreme

join:2002-06-04

reply to datac8

Fortuntely I have a LANCITY modem so my speeds should remain the same until they can get to me. Heard this from many Rogers techs working in my company here. When they do implement either a cap or a download restriction I'm leaving cause its not what I paid for.
[text was edited by author 2002-06-11 11:49:59]

mau108
Mau
Premium
join:2001-10-07
Thornhill, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

reply to elusion

said by green1074:
I sure hope they let us see what our usage is like, some sort of a website would do me good, or a tool you can download off their website, that calculates the extra cost and everything else.
[text was edited by author 2002-06-09 16:36:44]

Like bell's
--
...:::M.A.U.1.0.8:::...