spc
uniqs

datac8
Rogerstech
join:2002-06-08
Toronto, ON

datac8 to skillton

to skillton

Re: My area is finally docsis. I'm getting rogers!

I've been reading with interest these messages and my 2cents as I work for rogers HSI.

-If your eager to get a docsis modem, I prefer the RCA, and try not to use your internal NIC>2>USB, ask for a PCI NIC if you dont already have one.

-DOCSIS modems have built-in connection cut off buttons, eg very poor mans firewall when your away lol. The ericcson piperider allows network broadcasts dhcp packets even when this is on, the rca does not.

-DOCSIS modems are much easier to troubleshoot and easier to rollout from a network owners point of view.

-From the network side, the tools available to me in troubleshooting docsis modem issues are good, but still evolving.

-Most phubs will eventually become DOCSIS ready, however there are no plans for mass modem swaps because that would cost too much.

dc.

skillton
join:2000-09-14
Scarborough, ON

skillton

said by datac:
I've been reading with interest these messages and my 2cents as I work for rogers HSI.

-If your eager to get a docsis modem, I prefer the RCA, and try not to use your internal NIC>2>USB, ask for a PCI NIC if you dont already have one.

-DOCSIS modems have built-in connection cut off buttons, eg very poor mans firewall when your away lol. The ericcson piperider allows network broadcasts dhcp packets even when this is on, the rca does not.

-DOCSIS modems are much easier to troubleshoot and easier to rollout from a network owners point of view.

-From the network side, the tools available to me in troubleshooting docsis modem issues are good, but still evolving.

-Most phubs will eventually become DOCSIS ready, however there are no plans for mass modem swaps because that would cost too much.

dc.
well i got the ericsson modem and i'm very happy with it. i dont use the pipelock feature anyway so i dont really care if the 1 n the rca modem is better... plus the ericsson modem looks way better then the rca... 2 bad rogers doesnt give out the newer docsis 1.1 compatible hm204c... mine is a hm200c... docsis 1.0
oh a and by the way i'm using my built in NIC... i have 3 other pci nic's but i use 2 of em for my lan and the other is still in its box... my speeds arent too constant but i always get 1.7mbps+... Du Meter shows very unconstant speeds... like 1 second its 70kb/sec the next sec its 400kb/sec
[text was edited by author 2002-06-08 19:46:52]

datac8
Rogerstech
join:2002-06-08
Toronto, ON

datac8

If it doesn't drop connection or lose DHCP IP settings then your all set... but if that starts to happen, lose the USB nic and use a PCI Nic.

dc.