God Is Dead
Premium Member
join:2002-01-30
NYC

WildGod8 to dumwaldo

Premium Member

to dumwaldo

Re: nothing about newsgroups at the top of the forum

i respect your opinion however i get at least two movies a night as well as an application or game or two
set it befor i go to bed and when im home from work at least 3-4 files are awaiting me.
while im sorry u didnt have a good experience i think u should post some of the problems u had. there are many people on her who love to see u up and running the way we are. of course its gonna depend on your pc and broadband configuration. im sure newsgroups are great and once edonkey fades away i will try them. the donkey is just too easy to let go. i mean no other P2P has sites such as sharereactor of filenexus devoted to it. every other P2P you need to search out stuff, here its laid out for u.
hope u keep trying the donkey and post your problems so we could help. ill be posting my newsgroup problems one day lol

storm64007
Premium Member
join:2001-05-21
Freeport, NY

storm64007

Premium Member

Dumwaldo, same here as wild. I get excellent speeds on the donkey. Like i have stated before i download a movie every night with no problems. If you also saw some of my previous posts i posted jpegs of the speeds i am getting. If it didnt work well for me of course i wouldnt use it and move on to something else but i am very pleased with the way it works here on my end.

dumwaldo
Premium Member
join:2001-03-12

dumwaldo to WildGod8

Premium Member

to WildGod8
basically the problem i had was nomatter what i tried to download nothing would transfer. every file i attempted to get went to a status of looking... and just sat there waiting. the sample file i had queued when i first started the program was still waiting after 7 hours of waiting in queue and that was for a file that had been posted on usenet a week ago.

if you enjoy it and are satisfied then far be it from me to judge that. after what i feel was an honest evaluation of the software i decided it does not offer as much as newsgroups do. thats just my experience and perhaps i will try the donkey again in the future and find better sucsess.

i like to make my decisions from an informed perspective so i took a look at what seems to be the best peer to peer has to offer. i thank you for your help and enjoyed the experience but it has just re-afirmed my pro-usenet position.

i hate to repeat myself but i am guessing you didnt look behind the links so i just wanted to point them out to you..
quote:
said by wildxgod
i mean no other P2P has sites such as sharereactor of filenexus devoted to it. every other P2P you need to search out stuff, here its laid out for u.
while you are technically correct because it is not a peer to peer network usenet does offer extrodinarily similar services. some of the web pages that i think do a better job than others are...
»www.newzbin.com/
»www.binnewz.co.uk//
»www.binnetwork.net/
give them a look.

Chemcat
join:2001-05-22
Kennesaw, GA

Chemcat

eDonkey works well for me also. I was'nt getting much activity either though until I opened up ports. Check your id number and if it's below 1 million, that's your problem. This is from the FAQ:
Q: Why is my ID number low?

A: You get a low ID number(below 1million) if the server, and therefore other clients, can't connect to your machine. This could be because you are behind a firewall that blocks the port your client listens on, because you are using IP masquerading, or many other things.

It also means that you won't be able to transfer files with someone else with a low ID number. They can't get files from you and you can't get files from them. So if at all possible you want to allow connections on port 4662 to the machine you are running the donkey on.

Q: Why does it take so long to share my files?

A: This should only happen the first time you share the files. The donkey must examine the file to give it a unique ID. After it has done this they should load quite quickly.

Q: What ports does the donkey use?

A: It can run over any port. The defaults it uses are:
TCP port 4661 to connect to the server.
TCP port 4662 to connect to other clients.
UDP port 4665 to send messages to servers other then the one you are connected to.