All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
hman1
join:2002-01-17
Canada

hman1

Which Modems does Rogers Have and Which one...

Which modem should I get from Rogers.

Im getting sick(BAd)speeds from my old LanCity modem and wondering if I can get a modem that is better. I hear that Ericsson is better. ? I have no idea if my area is DOCSIS complient? My friend is getting like 1299k from his speed test here at DSLR.

He dloads at 200-400K. I download at 10k-100k with my OLD LANCITY CRAP. I can't take it. Is there a way to let Rogers give me the Ericsson? What is the model anyways. What is DOCSIS?

Thank You
rogerstech9
join:2002-02-09
Ottawa, ON

rogerstech9

DOCSIS
Data Over Cable System Integration Specification

It's a standard that any modem manufacturer can adhere to.
You can get what rogers gives you, and thats it. Your headend modem is a Lancity, so your cpe must be a Lancity. Docsis was only in two areas as of this winter, if your area was one of them you would have one already. Rogers has Terayons, Motorolas, Lancity and the Docsis modems. Each connects to different headends. Your physical location determines what kind you get. I used to work for them, but not any more. Learned quite a bit though.
rogerstech9

rogerstech9

Oops, meant to say Service Interface, not system integration.
hman1
Canada

hman1

Thank You Rogerstech!!

Well do u know if my cpe thing is Docsis? Cuz my speeds are so bad and Im gonna complain to them sonner or later. I download at like 15K or lower and fail the line qualty, etc. I wanna get a docsis modem cuz people say it is better. Better speeds and more stable/constant. Do u agree?

What kind of modem should I get? What do u have? And can u show me some tests with your modem?

Thanks

mau108
Mau
Premium Member
join:2001-10-07
Thornhill, ON

mau108 to hman1

Premium Member

to hman1
Not all areas are docsis compliant.

Im using the Motorla Cybersrfer (pretty ugly looking thing).
Its docsis compliant but not Docsis(due to my area).

But I am getting super speeds, uploading at 40-45kiloBYTES a second, downloading from 280-360 kiloBYTES a second.

It could be your wiring and also due to interference between your TV cable connection and your cable internet.

I would call Rogers and complain to them immediatly(have all your tests on hand, i.e line test ( »/testme ), speed test ( »www.nyc.speakeasy.net and also a download speed test from tucows (look download server)). Also run a trace to rogers.com site (start, run, command, tracert www.rogers.com and copy your ping results and keep on hand.

Now all you have to do is call and provide them with the results.

Good luck

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook to hman1

Mod

to hman1
said by hman:
Thank You Rogerstech!!

Well do u know if my cpe thing is Docsis? Cuz my speeds are so bad and Im gonna complain to them sonner or later. I download at like 15K or lower and fail the line qualty, etc. I wanna get a docsis modem cuz people say it is better. Better speeds and more stable/constant. Do u agree?

What kind of modem should I get? What do u have? And can u show me some tests with your modem?

Thanks
Hard to say if your node is DOCSIS compliant.

They say that docsis is generally more compliant, but so much depends on the loading of your node (that's the up to about 300 homes in your neighbourhood ... if you get a few people doing heavy up/downloads, your performance can go to crap whatever your modem).

It's not "what should I get", it's what Rogers *give* you - you don't get a choice!

skillton
join:2000-09-14
Scarborough, ON

skillton to rogerstech9

to rogerstech9
said by rogerstech:
DOCSIS
Data Over Cable System Integration Specification

It's a standard that any modem manufacturer can adhere to.
You can get what rogers gives you, and thats it. Your headend modem is a Lancity, so your cpe must be a Lancity. Docsis was only in two areas as of this winter, if your area was one of them you would have one already. Rogers has Terayons, Motorolas, Lancity and the Docsis modems. Each connects to different headends. Your physical location determines what kind you get. I used to work for them, but not any more. Learned quite a bit though.
actually docsis is in more then 5 areas now
etobicoke has it... wolfedale, agincourt, mcnicoll and a few others... i cant remember which ones

train wreck
join:2002-01-26
Scarborough, ON

train wreck to hman1

to hman1
york mills is docsis compliant as well
hman1
Canada

hman1

Thanks all who replied!!

Hey DJ, your modem is DOCSIS but your area is non-docsis? And your gettin good speeds? Wow! Im kind of new here. Probaly 3 months member at DSLR. Is the Motorola good? Like the tweak/speed tests? Are the dloads constant mainly? Cuz Im gonna complain to their ass to give me a new modem, I hope I can choose buy yellin at them, and give me some new better CAT 5 cables, I have currently some cheap black Lan cable with no numbers or letters on them.

Thanks sbrook and TarekKhan, I live in Brampton, Ontario. My friends are getting nice speeds at like 1200K, btw, I kind of made it faster by DR.TCP, and they got a nice looking modem. Not to sure what kind but a fast one. Also their CAT 5 cables are a new type, not like mine, they are like whit and have some thing at the end to protect the jacks. Its gotta be a nice 300MHz cable.

Not like my shit black, old, no-name cable.

Well anyways, do u think my yellin would work? Thanks you and please reply, YOUR MY ONLY CHANCE, NO ONE ELSE REPLY's
hman1

hman1

Oh yeah sorry, I have a SOHO NETWORK CARd? 10/100. I updated the drivers, it was read as a Macronix, does my NIC good, sorry its kinda a dumb question.

BTW...I don't have cable TV, cuz i figured if I would try it out to see if it was faster, guess it doesn't matter. So I plan to get basic cable too. Thasts when I complain to them!

Thanks
hman1

hman1

Which Modems does Rogers Have and... RELPY PLEASE

ANYONE? REPLY PLEASE.

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook to hman1

Mod

to hman1

Re: Which Modems does Rogers Have and Which one...

In general, a NIC is a NIC is a NIC. Rather than having bad models or brands, a faulty NIC is a more common occurance, or bad drivers.

The original SOHOware drivers should be just fine.

If you have a problem with your NIC, it's probably as cheap to drop a new one in there. If you do that, make sure you do a RELEASE from WINIPCFG before replacing the card.

mau108
Mau
Premium Member
Thornhill, ON

mau108 to hman1

Premium Member

to hman1
I havent heard much about SOHOware.

You can try purchasing the Linksys ones at Futureshop, trying that out and seeing if their is any significantal increase.

Im currently using the Linksys NC100 v.2 (awesome CARD considering I payed 40 bux for it and it also has its own processor built into it).

This could resolve some issues, as for the low speeds, hmm hard to say.

Do your test at »www.nyc.speakeasy.net and also »www.chi.speakeasy.net

Post results once again.
mau108

mau108 to hman1

Premium Member

to hman1
said by hman:
Thanks all who replied!!

Hey DJ, your modem is DOCSIS but your area is non-docsis? And your gettin good speeds? Wow! Im kind of new here. Probaly 3 months member at DSLR.
Well above is the speed test from toast.net (according to your rogers tech )

Acctualy file download speeds vary from 300kb/s to 360 (like last night).
hman1
Canada

hman1

Thanks DJ MAU!! But sorry to ask but is that test your modem speed?
hman1

hman1

Here DJ MAU.

Speedtest from www.nyc.speakeasy.net:

2002-06-18 20:04:54 EST: 550 / 317
Your download speed : 550809 bps, or 550 kbps.
A 67.2 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 317007 bps, or 317 kbps.

BTW: This is the one with some tweak I did last night, with DR.TCP. AND BTW...It still sucks when dloading big files, still around 60k or something. AND thridly, is this capped? When modems are capped how fast can the dload go?

And www.chi.speakeasy.net:

A totally different story, probaly just lucky with the first!

2002-06-18 20:10:46 EST: 153 / 87
Your download speed : 153622 bps, or 153 kbps.
A 18.7 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 87796 bps, or 87 kbps.

See what I have to put up with. The dloads suck shit!

Thanks

mau108
Mau
Premium Member
Thornhill, ON

mau108

Premium Member

said by hman:

See what I have to put up with. The dloads suck shit!

Thanks
Try downloadiing this demo and see what speeds you get.

»look.games.tucows.com/fi ··· rial.exe

Also set your TCP Receive Window to 43800 (save and reboot)

Then post me a tweak test (»/tweaks)
hman1
Canada

hman1

On dloading the game I waited for 30 seconds to see the normal speeds and it goes at 55-80KB/s. At first it went like 131, then it dipped down.

Tweaktest is to busy. BTW...Inoticed that its not snappy in loading pages. Im gonna switch back to trusty ole 34840 RWIN size.

Thanks
hman1

hman1

Heres the Boston Speed test. I don't give a crap about uploading. Well sometimes. Boston Speaksy

2002-06-18 20:40:26 EST: 426 / 31
Your download speed : 426366 bps, or 426 kbps.
A 52 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 31575 bps, or 31 kbps.
Your upstream result was very slow! .. not good

What is rogers new 1500kbps Capped speed in kb/s?

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by hman:
What is rogers new 1500kbps Capped speed in kb/s?
should be around 190 kB/sec

mau108
Mau
Premium Member
Thornhill, ON

mau108 to hman1

Premium Member

to hman1
said by hman:
On dloading the game I waited for 30 seconds to see the normal speeds and it goes at 55-80KB/s. At first it went like 131, then it dipped down.

Tweaktest is to busy. BTW...Inoticed that its not snappy in loading pages. Im gonna switch back to trusty ole 34840 RWIN size.

Thanks
Try to get me that tweak test eh.
Keep trying, eventually it will work.
hman1
Canada

hman1

Here DJ.

The one with 43800 RWIN.

»monitor.dslreports.com/t ··· a=normal

Here is it with trusty ole 34848:

mau108
Mau
Premium Member
Thornhill, ON

mau108

Premium Member

said by hman:
Here DJ.

The one with 43800 RWIN.

Here is it with trusty ole 34848:

k set your RWIN to 36800
Make sure your service packs for Win 2000 are up to date.

After this, turn of PC, hit the reset button on your modem, unplug ure modem completely for 2 minutes, plug it all back in, turn on ure PC and post new speed test and tweak test.
hman1
Canada

hman1

K DJ MAu. just after I finish my exams tommorow. Keep ye updated.

skillton
Scarborough, ON

skillton to hman1

to hman1
mau this is clearly a problem on rogers' end... its pointless to get a new nic or plug out ur modem...
hman i mite've missled u by telling u 2 ask rogers for a docsis modem...
the modems dont make a difference... the cmts does... docsis has new ctms's... so there isnt too many ppl on them therefore u get better speeds... and u cant get a motorola modem in ur area... motorola is only used in ex shaw cable areas... rogers areas have lan city, 2 types of terayon's, rca and ericsson... in docsis areas u can use any docsis compliant modem...
hman1
Canada

hman1

I agree DJ Mau!

Thats why when Im finished my exams tommorow, Im getting a new modem, I really want the Ericsson Piperider cuz its DOCSIS and ppl say its fast. What else should I bitch about to them? Should I ask them to give me a new node, etc? Im really gonna ask them for new cables, CAT5, Coxial cables and maybe even a 350MHz CAT5 Network Cable... Thank You for ALL your help. I'll keep u posted...

THANKS

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

It's only fast because there aren't many people on the DOCSIS modems. As they get loaded up they'll go slower. BUT you may get better stability.

I'm getting better download speed because I believe there is a hardware issue related to the Terayon CMTS card that limited the download speed to about 4* the upload ... so when they set my upload to 192, my download became under 800. Not all the CMTS cards did this ... but mine did!

Now that problem is gone, but I'm one of the few DOCSIS folks on this phub too ... so we'll have to wait and see what happens after we load up.

DOCSIS isn't the answer to everything, just *some* things. The Terayons do the job very well, if they're set up satisfactorily.

Stuart
[text was edited by author 2002-06-19 18:36:36]

mau108
Mau
Premium Member
Thornhill, ON

mau108 to hman1

Premium Member

to hman1
Im not on Docsis and am VERY VERY HAPPY with my connection
It may not be consistant but its always over 1500 kbits down and 250 up.

The max I got was 2813 kbits down and 334 kbits up.

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

But I'll lay odds you don't have a TeraPro!

skillton
Scarborough, ON

skillton to hman1

to hman1
he has motorola
heh the ma i got on this ericsson was 2002-06-15 20:06:58 Speed test (nyc.speakeasy.net) 2967/367 kbps
lol
check this out tho:
2002-06-19 17:02:26 Speed test (nyc.speakeasy.net) 2195/1018 kbps
2002-06-16 16:50:27 Speed test (nyc.speakeasy.net) 1763/1147 kbps
speed tests aint accurate sometimes