mau108
Mau
Premium
join:2001-10-07
Thornhill, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to hman1

Re: Which Modems does Rogers Have and Which one...

said by hman:
On dloading the game I waited for 30 seconds to see the normal speeds and it goes at 55-80KB/s. At first it went like 131, then it dipped down.

Tweaktest is to busy. BTW...Inoticed that its not snappy in loading pages. Im gonna switch back to trusty ole 34840 RWIN size.

Thanks
Try to get me that tweak test eh.
Keep trying, eventually it will work.
--
...:::M.A.U.1.0.8:::...

hman1

join:2002-01-17
Canada
reply to hman1

Here DJ.

The one with 43800 RWIN.

»monitor.dslreports.com/tweak/blo···a=normal

Here is it with trusty ole 34848:

mau108
Mau
Premium
Thornhill, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by hman:
Here DJ.

The one with 43800 RWIN.

Here is it with trusty ole 34848:

k set your RWIN to 36800
Make sure your service packs for Win 2000 are up to date.

After this, turn of PC, hit the reset button on your modem, unplug ure modem completely for 2 minutes, plug it all back in, turn on ure PC and post new speed test and tweak test.
--

hman1

Canada
reply to hman1

K DJ MAu. just after I finish my exams tommorow. Keep ye updated.

skillton

join:2000-09-14
Scarborough, ON
reply to hman1

mau this is clearly a problem on rogers' end... its pointless to get a new nic or plug out ur modem...
hman i mite've missled u by telling u 2 ask rogers for a docsis modem...
the modems dont make a difference... the cmts does... docsis has new ctms's... so there isnt too many ppl on them therefore u get better speeds... and u cant get a motorola modem in ur area... motorola is only used in ex shaw cable areas... rogers areas have lan city, 2 types of terayon's, rca and ericsson... in docsis areas u can use any docsis compliant modem...

hman1

Canada
reply to hman1

I agree DJ Mau!

Thats why when Im finished my exams tommorow, Im getting a new modem, I really want the Ericsson Piperider cuz its DOCSIS and ppl say its fast. What else should I bitch about to them? Should I ask them to give me a new node, etc? Im really gonna ask them for new cables, CAT5, Coxial cables and maybe even a 350MHz CAT5 Network Cable... Thank You for ALL your help. I'll keep u posted...

THANKS

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable

It's only fast because there aren't many people on the DOCSIS modems. As they get loaded up they'll go slower. BUT you may get better stability.

I'm getting better download speed because I believe there is a hardware issue related to the Terayon CMTS card that limited the download speed to about 4* the upload ... so when they set my upload to 192, my download became under 800. Not all the CMTS cards did this ... but mine did!

Now that problem is gone, but I'm one of the few DOCSIS folks on this phub too ... so we'll have to wait and see what happens after we load up.

DOCSIS isn't the answer to everything, just *some* things. The Terayons do the job very well, if they're set up satisfactorily.

Stuart
[text was edited by author 2002-06-19 18:36:36]

mau108
Mau
Premium
Thornhill, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to hman1

Im not on Docsis and am VERY VERY HAPPY with my connection
It may not be consistant but its always over 1500 kbits down and 250 up.

The max I got was 2813 kbits down and 334 kbits up.
--

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa

But I'll lay odds you don't have a TeraPro!

skillton

Scarborough, ON
reply to hman1

he has motorola
heh the ma i got on this ericsson was 2002-06-15 20:06:58 Speed test (nyc.speakeasy.net) 2967/367 kbps
lol
check this out tho:
2002-06-19 17:02:26 Speed test (nyc.speakeasy.net) 2195/1018 kbps
2002-06-16 16:50:27 Speed test (nyc.speakeasy.net) 1763/1147 kbps
speed tests aint accurate sometimes

hman1

Canada
reply to hman1

Hi. Thanks all who replied. Just taking a break from Science.

Thank you sbrook for your comments and are you running a Terayon TeraPro? What kind of speeds are u gettin? Are u getting speeds like what Tupac is gettin on his Ericsson?
Is the Terayons DOCSIS? BTW..How do u pronounce DOCSIS? Do u say it like how it looks?

BTW... What kind of computer you guys have? Is this a factor? I don't really think so though..

My comp: 500 P3
685MB SDRAM PC-133
SB LIVE 5.1
SOHO NETWORK CABLE 10/100 PCI
FUJITSU 5400RPM 13.5GB HDD
and more...

Thanks

mau108
Mau
Premium
Thornhill, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to hman1

System specs dont affect speeds that much, but video card does affect the webpage load up time.

Its recomended a 16mb or higher video card with updated drivers.

lol Ive got a programming exam friday and math exam tuesday
--

hman1

Canada
reply to hman1

Hi gusy I forgot..

What is a node? What is CTMS? Whats this I hear about DOCSIS 1.1, 2.0,1.0? I should be gettin an Ericsson I hope, or what do u reccomend? Well I ask the same questions but, its worth it. Should I ask Rogers to change my nodes, ip, etc?

hman1

Canada
reply to hman1

DJ MAU, I feel your pain! Exams! They suck.

My video card is ATI rage fury 32MB SDR. Old but good. Im gonna get new drivers. Its like 2 months old. Thanks

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to hman1

i play a fair amount of games and do a lot of surfing...that's why i spent a few bucks and got a high end video card when i had my system built.
--
PIII 900 MHz, 328 MB RAM, GeForce GTS II Ultra 64 MB DDR Video Card, Sympatico HSE

mau108
Mau
Premium
Thornhill, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to hman1

Im using a lousy Ati All In Wonder 128 16mb V.Card.

lol
All of yours are better then mine, exceppt for the fact I can capture video
--

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
reply to skillton

I never use one speed test on its own ... and then I do it to lots of places, and check it with tracerts and pings to make sure there's no hangups on the way. I also never trust a speed test after about 3 pm (school's out).

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to hman1

OK ...

a phub is the Primary cable hub for your area. Ottawa has 3 phubs.

Neighbourhoods of up to about 300 subscribers are fed by "nodes". In an urban area, a node is where all the local cable signals and modem signals are separated into uplink and downlink signals and sent on separate cables or fibre cables to your phub. In a rural area, the node is similar but assembled a little differently because of the distances between homes etc.

All the nodes are fed into cards in a CMTS Cable Modem Terminal System ... essentially the CMTS is the modem at the other end. The CMTS lives in the phub. It multiplexes all the signals together and feeds them down an ethernet cable to your gateway router.

DOCSIS is one of several standards for transmitting ... Data Over Cable something or another. The Terayon TeraPro modems use a different standard called S-CDMA ... and it is not compatible with DOCSIS. Many of the other modems will work from a DOCSIS standard CMTS. TeraPro's will not work from a DOCSIS CMTS, nor will other modems work from a Terayon CMTS.

DOCSIS has several versions of its standards ... 1.0, 1.1 and 2.0 ... There are not many modems operating to DOCSIS 2.0 standards.

Many old modems like the Motorola modems people talk about are partially DOCSIS compatible.

DOCSIS 1.1 modems are generally more reliable and quicker than the Terayons (note that Terayon also makes DOCSIS modems ... just to confuse things), because the speed of the TeraPro is so critical on the uplink line conditions and speed. It's newer technology.

DOCSIS 2.0 systems are not in widespread production yet and will require an upgrade to the phub CMTS's again, so they will be a while. They are capable of higher speeds still.

Again, the modem you are given will be up to Rogers. There is no guarantee as to what the tech will happen to have on his truck.

You can't change your node. That comes from living where you do! You may get a new IP address unless your old Motorola modem was running on a DOCSIS CMTS, in which case a new DOCSIS standard modem will make no difference. Nothing short of a node split will fix your problems then.

I had to laugh today, when the tech came by he spoke to someone on the phone who reckoned that he'd buy the tech a beer if the new modem went any faster ... the tech doesn't drink! But the guy owes him a beer!

skillton

Scarborough, ON
reply to hman1

lol sbrook u explained this better then i could
tell the tech 2 gimme the beer

sprite

@cpe.net.cable.rogers
reply to hman1

i just got rogers, and what do i need to know bout them tweakin' things to speed it up

i see that skillton gets some mad speed and is in toronto, how?

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable

Go to the TOOLS part of DSL reports and do the Tweak test

Then get DRTCP from the same place to do any tweaks recommended in the Tweak test. This will ensure you're in the right ball park.

How Skillton gets mad speeds and other get crap speeds simply is luck of the draw ...

1) The state of your physical cable lines (whether they installed decent cables from the distribution point to your house, then on to your modem ... no more RG59/U cable allowed).

2) The state of the physical cable from your node connection to your neighbourhood distribution boxes.

3) The number of subscribers in your neighbourhood

4) The number of excessively heavy users in your neighbourhood

5) Whether Rogers has capped the speeds in your area yet

6) Your CMTS type at the phub (Their end of the modem)

7) Your modem type

8) Whether the wind is blowing from the east in Shanghai

hman1

Canada
reply to hman1

Thats true Sbrook, NO more RG-59U cables...They suck...Thats why I bought myself some cheap but very good RG-6U cables at the Buck Or Two store. Its amazing what you'll find for so little. The cables are nice and fast. Except my modem.

Thanks for all who replied. Im done my exams and gonna call Rogers soon enough and get a DOCSIS modem, if my area is DOCSIS. I figure, Im gonna screw around with DR.TCP to make my modem look really bad so they can really replace it. Gonna ask them for new Cat5 cables and more...gonna get some basic cable. Makes no difference in the speed of the internet in my experience. What do u think?

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable

You need to present realistic results, not cooked results.

The cat 5 cable that came with my new modem looks no better than the cat5 cable that came with the old modem.

I seriously doubt that will make any difference unless outright faulty.

hman1

Canada
reply to hman1

You could be right but Im gonna make the move. Cuz I really think thats a factor, to, older Cables have lower standards and newer cables are better and can handle more speedy transfers. Thats my opinion, but you can be right...

Thanks

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable

Look for goodness sake ... a CAT5 patch cable is rated for the very connection it is being used for. It's not as if you're looking for a CAT5/E cable here. If your CAT5 cable was faulty, you'd get a lot worse. You'll probably be given a new one with a new modem anyway.

hman1

Canada
reply to hman1

Sorry sbrook, just trying to make my point. Thanks for everything and ill stop making dumb questions. Sorry man.

Thanks

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable

Unless you flap that cat5 cable around and plug and unplug it a lot (like multiple times per day), then the actual cable will be fine. It was rated for 10BaseT use the day it was manufactured, and won't have changed in its short life.

Sure there are Cat5/e cables out there that are now rated for 100BaseT and better, but it's only moving data at sub 10BaseT speeds.

Yeah, there are some crap cables out there ... but the chances of a Cat5 cable being bad are pretty slim. By all means change it ... you can get a new cable from your local computer store for a few bucks that's probably every bit as good as any other. Heck, the one that came with my last two modems are manufactured in China and I trust the new one with the Ericsson far less than the old one to look at it!

Several years ago we bought a SCSI extension cable ... it looked just fine ... just like most others. It "rang" out all the pins correctly. BUT what was hidden inside was that there were a limited number of ground conductors used ... they were strapped together ... meaning that there was radiation from one pair to another.

Now 10BaseT half duplex actually only uses 4 conductors in isolated circuits ... so the transmit pair doesn't interfere with the receive pair and vice versa. The only thing that can go wrong is severe reflections, and that's taken care of in the electronics. If you had that problem you wouldn't be able to do anything ... the messages you'd send would be so corrupted, you'd never get anything down the pipe.

I'm not trying to discourage you from questions, just a little frustrated that you just seem to ignore the instruction you're being given ... kind of like my F-i-L who would went to buy a fridge ... he'd set his heart on one model and sought all manner of opinions on the best one to get ... he didn't buy until someone recommended the one he'd decided on previously ... So it was months before he bought his fridge when someone agreed that it looked good; it promptly broke down a couple weeks after he bought it just as he was told by 10 people who told him that that model is unreliable!

hman1

Canada
reply to hman1

Point taken Sbrook, I should change my ways, except its just that Im pissed off about everything, that I tend to change the subjects to different questions. I should keep the suggestions that ppl have gave me. But Im not ignoring it, Im keeping it all jotted down on paper and in my head...so can u understand why Im always frustrated? Well thanks and I WILL keep ye all updated on gettin a new modem.

Thanks

hman1

Canada
reply to hman1

First of all, is there any firmware updates for LanCity modems?

mau108
Mau
Premium
Thornhill, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to hman1

Are you using an ATI Card with Lancity?

»powerlink.adelphia.net/support/2···are.html

Check out that link I found.
--