Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to sprite

Re: Which Modems does Rogers Have and Which one...

Go to the TOOLS part of DSL reports and do the Tweak test

Then get DRTCP from the same place to do any tweaks recommended in the Tweak test. This will ensure you're in the right ball park.

How Skillton gets mad speeds and other get crap speeds simply is luck of the draw ...

1) The state of your physical cable lines (whether they installed decent cables from the distribution point to your house, then on to your modem ... no more RG59/U cable allowed).

2) The state of the physical cable from your node connection to your neighbourhood distribution boxes.

3) The number of subscribers in your neighbourhood

4) The number of excessively heavy users in your neighbourhood

5) Whether Rogers has capped the speeds in your area yet

6) Your CMTS type at the phub (Their end of the modem)

7) Your modem type

8) Whether the wind is blowing from the east in Shanghai

hman1

join:2002-01-17
Canada
reply to hman1

Thats true Sbrook, NO more RG-59U cables...They suck...Thats why I bought myself some cheap but very good RG-6U cables at the Buck Or Two store. Its amazing what you'll find for so little. The cables are nice and fast. Except my modem.

Thanks for all who replied. Im done my exams and gonna call Rogers soon enough and get a DOCSIS modem, if my area is DOCSIS. I figure, Im gonna screw around with DR.TCP to make my modem look really bad so they can really replace it. Gonna ask them for new Cat5 cables and more...gonna get some basic cable. Makes no difference in the speed of the internet in my experience. What do u think?

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable

You need to present realistic results, not cooked results.

The cat 5 cable that came with my new modem looks no better than the cat5 cable that came with the old modem.

I seriously doubt that will make any difference unless outright faulty.

hman1

Canada
reply to hman1

You could be right but Im gonna make the move. Cuz I really think thats a factor, to, older Cables have lower standards and newer cables are better and can handle more speedy transfers. Thats my opinion, but you can be right...

Thanks

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable

Look for goodness sake ... a CAT5 patch cable is rated for the very connection it is being used for. It's not as if you're looking for a CAT5/E cable here. If your CAT5 cable was faulty, you'd get a lot worse. You'll probably be given a new one with a new modem anyway.

hman1

Canada
reply to hman1

Sorry sbrook, just trying to make my point. Thanks for everything and ill stop making dumb questions. Sorry man.

Thanks

sbrook
Premium,Mod
Ottawa
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable

Unless you flap that cat5 cable around and plug and unplug it a lot (like multiple times per day), then the actual cable will be fine. It was rated for 10BaseT use the day it was manufactured, and won't have changed in its short life.

Sure there are Cat5/e cables out there that are now rated for 100BaseT and better, but it's only moving data at sub 10BaseT speeds.

Yeah, there are some crap cables out there ... but the chances of a Cat5 cable being bad are pretty slim. By all means change it ... you can get a new cable from your local computer store for a few bucks that's probably every bit as good as any other. Heck, the one that came with my last two modems are manufactured in China and I trust the new one with the Ericsson far less than the old one to look at it!

Several years ago we bought a SCSI extension cable ... it looked just fine ... just like most others. It "rang" out all the pins correctly. BUT what was hidden inside was that there were a limited number of ground conductors used ... they were strapped together ... meaning that there was radiation from one pair to another.

Now 10BaseT half duplex actually only uses 4 conductors in isolated circuits ... so the transmit pair doesn't interfere with the receive pair and vice versa. The only thing that can go wrong is severe reflections, and that's taken care of in the electronics. If you had that problem you wouldn't be able to do anything ... the messages you'd send would be so corrupted, you'd never get anything down the pipe.

I'm not trying to discourage you from questions, just a little frustrated that you just seem to ignore the instruction you're being given ... kind of like my F-i-L who would went to buy a fridge ... he'd set his heart on one model and sought all manner of opinions on the best one to get ... he didn't buy until someone recommended the one he'd decided on previously ... So it was months before he bought his fridge when someone agreed that it looked good; it promptly broke down a couple weeks after he bought it just as he was told by 10 people who told him that that model is unreliable!

hman1

Canada
reply to hman1

Point taken Sbrook, I should change my ways, except its just that Im pissed off about everything, that I tend to change the subjects to different questions. I should keep the suggestions that ppl have gave me. But Im not ignoring it, Im keeping it all jotted down on paper and in my head...so can u understand why Im always frustrated? Well thanks and I WILL keep ye all updated on gettin a new modem.

Thanks

hman1

Canada
reply to hman1

First of all, is there any firmware updates for LanCity modems?

mau108
Mau
Premium
join:2001-10-07
Thornhill, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to hman1

Are you using an ATI Card with Lancity?

»powerlink.adelphia.net/support/2···are.html

Check out that link I found.
--
...:::M.A.U.1.0.8:::...

skillton

join:2000-09-14
Scarborough, ON
reply to hman1

mau thats super old and its for win95 and shit
a lan city modem doesnt have any firmware... or @ least none that i know of... anyway even if it does have firmware i'm pretty sure u cant change it in any way
lan city's LCPET-1,2 and 3 are very old modems... the're not like docsis modem or routers and stuff... the're "dumb" modems... and i'm pretty sure a firmware update wouldnt make a difference since the problem is clearly on rogers' end
u can try all u want but u wont get if to go significantly faster... this technology is some of the earliest cable modems... who knows... if ur signal aint good that will definately cause packet loss and lower speeds since the modem is more sensitive then a terayon or a docsis modem...
i can give u some tips on how to get rogers to give u a docsis modem
but 1st of all call tech support and make sure ur area is docsis compliant

hman1

Canada
reply to hman1

Tupac...Id love on some tips and pointers on getting Docsis modem but Im gonna call soon. So any suggestion?

skillton

Scarborough, ON
reply to hman1

check ur instant msg's on the site
there should be a flashing yellow thing like there is on icq in the upper right corner of the site

datac8
Rogerstech

join:2002-06-08
Toronto, ON

reply to rogerstech9

hey well if you want my two cents:

first of all, rogerstech's information is incorrect/out of date, the vast majority of the primary hubs in ontario that i've come across are docsis compliant now and they can run in parallel to legacy technology such as lancity.

there are ways to convince rogers to swap your modem if you it looks like you have legitimate concern regarding speeds. Lancity/motorola/terayon/ etc can share the same headend.

dc.
[text was edited by author 2002-06-21 07:07:14]

hman1

Canada
reply to hman1

What are u talking about Tupac. The yellow Plane symbol? Thats a moderator, I think.

skillton

Scarborough, ON
reply to hman1

oops upper left corner... lol mah bad
there should be a yellow flashing thing next to the broadband reports banner it click and and you should see the message

hman1

Canada
reply to hman1

Is it that instant message thingy? What do I do?

hman1

Canada
reply to hman1

TUPAC...there is no meaage in there...maybe you can send it again...our do I send u a message? Never used it before..

Thanks