spc
Search similar:

uniqs
tomveil2002
join:2002-06-17
Toronto, ON

tomveil2002

Rogers play dumb when questioned on speed decrease

I have been getting d/l speeds of about 280k/s and uploads of about 44k/s. Last week those speeds were cut in half. I called Rogers and they told me the speeds were fine, and to send an email to Internet Support. I did that and they told me to send TRACERT info. I did that and again I was told all was fine. I kept asking how can my speeds be cut in half overnight?!!! They just kept telling me to try other settings with Windows and proxys.
THANK GOD I found this board and realized I am not imagining these massive speed decreases.
Now I will respond to my Rogers email survey with some more facts.....facts which they did not tell me. I HAVE BEEN CAPPED!!!
f1sushi2
join:2002-05-30
Nepean, ON

f1sushi2

It's called the "cloak and dagger" treatment. I called them up on the weekend to complain about the fact that my upstream speed had been reduced to about half the normal 384kbps.

After some evasive maneuvering on his part and some mumbo jumbo techie diatribe on my part, something I must have said triggered the Rogers rep to reply with what sounded like a prepared statement about "upstream bandwidth for all subscribers being reduced to 192kbps to deal with network congestion yada yada yada". It was as though I had to squeeze the info out of him under a bright incandescent lamp in a large, dimly lit room.

I also asked him if they were going to alert all customers about the bandwidth reduction, to which he replied yes. I won't hold my breath...

mau108
Mau
Premium Member
join:2001-10-07
Thornhill, ON

mau108

Premium Member

Well thats not right, because they have to notify users of changes within their services a month prior to changes

Time for some legal action
mau108

mau108 to tomveil2002

Premium Member

to tomveil2002
#$!@$#!$

DEY CUT MY UP ASWELL!!!

2002-06-17 21:05:23 EST: 2242 / 165
Your download speed : 2242912 bps, or 2242 kbps.
A 273.7 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 165084 bps, or 165 kbps.
Seems like broadband .. above the 1mbit barrier!
mau108

mau108 to tomveil2002

Premium Member

to tomveil2002
oops my bad

2002-06-17 21:17:35 EST: 1608 / 296
Your download speed : 1608333 bps, or 1608 kbps.
A 196.3 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 296956 bps, or 296 kbps.
Seems like broadband .. above the 1mbit barrier!

not capped, was uploading on my ftp at 40

Exit

join:2001-04-10
Canada

Exit to tomveil2002

to tomveil2002
Hey

Where in Toronto are you located? Do you know what phub you are on?

If not go to the command prompt and type this

tracert dslreports.com

Its either the first or second hop that has your phub

Should look something like this
tlgw9.mtwh.phub.net.cable.rogers.com

Steve

mau108
Mau
Premium Member
join:2001-10-07
Thornhill, ON

mau108 to tomveil2002

Premium Member

to tomveil2002
my download is sweeeeeeeeeeet
zapped75
join:2001-04-08
East York, ON

zapped75 to tomveil2002

to tomveil2002
How comes when I do traceroute
there's some chicago-belnexia
servers on it?

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook to mau108

Mod

to mau108

Re: Rogers play dumb when questioned on speed decr

No, they don't have to notify you. Internet service is NOT cable service, so their own terms of service apply which means they can quite happily do any damn thing they want to your service.
tomveil2002
join:2002-06-17
Toronto, ON

tomveil2002

Re: Rogers play dumb when questioned on speed decrease

Below is the official statement I got after my enquiry asking if I had been capped.

"Thank-you for your email. We strive to provide you with the highest level of customer support, and hope we can be of assistance in addressing your questions.

Speeds have been throttled to the new capping limits. All figures are expressed in Mega and Kile bits per second

Rogers Hi-Speed Internet:
up to 1.5 Mbs download, 192k upload

Hi-Speed Lite:
up to 128k download, 64k upload

*Download speeds can vary with Internet traffic, server or other factors.

This change is part of the evolution of our service:

1. As we evolve the service, we want to provide levels of service that meet all customer needs. We are examining the option of launching an additional higher tier of service. In order for our service to be competitive, we are reviewing the competitive environment and making
strategic decisions.

2. The vast majority of customers will not notice any difference. In fact, the performance of your service will improve because by reducing the modem speed, we are reducing congestion caused by high-use customers
who abuse the network by downloading very large files on a continuous basis

If you have any further questions or comments regarding our service, please contact us by phone at 1-888-288-4663, or fill out the online form on our Customer Support page listed below."

Nice to see they dont mind telling people AFTER they make changes and are caught doing so.
f1sushi2
join:2002-05-30
Nepean, ON

f1sushi2

Let me read that again...

"the performance of your service will improve because by reducing the modem speed, we are reducing congestion caused by high-use customers who abuse the network by downloading very large files on a continuous basis"

So Rogers is trying to make its subscribers believe that the 50% reduction in modem speed equates to improved performance. Simply unbelievable!

Let's use 2nd grade math for a second...

Teacher: Timmy, you can have either 384 gummy bears or 192 gummy bears this month. Which would you rather have?

Timmy: I want 384 gummy bears!

Teacher: Why, Timmy?

Timmy: Because my daddy isn't a Rogers marketing weenie.

Enough said...

skillton
join:2000-09-14
Scarborough, ON

skillton to tomveil2002

to tomveil2002
rofl
rogers made a typo too
kile bits = killer bites
poweruhs
join:2002-05-03

poweruhs to tomveil2002

to tomveil2002
this is my phub
gw01.mtun.phub.net.cable.rogers.com
it's really bad...can i change it to a faster one?
And everytime i load internet explorer i have to go to tools, connections, lan settings and uncheck everything...i thought if i did it once it will always stay unchecked...
btw my speeds are usually 600 kilobits per second about 40 for upload...i'll complain when exams are finished...