All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
leafzfan50
join:2002-05-02

leafzfan50

New speed Change is FINAL for sure.

I just visited the FAQ on the Rogers Website (rogers.com) and here's what I found. It looks like they are finally advertising with the new speeds.
---------------------------------------------------------
Speeds for the Rogers Hi-Speed Internet are as follows:
Up to 1.5 Mbps Download and 192 Kbps upload

Note: Download speeds online can vary with Internet traffic, server or other factors.
Speeds for the Rogers Hi-Speed Lite are as follows:
Up to 128 Kbps download and 64 Kbps upload

Note: Download speeds online can vary with Internet traffic, server or other factors.

Boo... This sucks. What Next?
WE WANT SHAW BACK. The people out in Western Canada(New Shaw Area) have uncapped speeds, while we're left with 1.5Mbps. Thats BS. What else can you expect from our friends @ rogers?
leafzfan50

leafzfan50

Btw, a tech support guy is visiting my house on Wednesday. I will ask him about the new 5GB cap or what ever. Hopefully they don't do that too.

If you look around, places are offering DSL (not sympatico) for the same price with BETTER SPEEDS. My friend is with some unknown DSL ISP and he has amazing speeds. I will also find out about that 2.

Till then, I'm out.

Exit

join:2001-04-10
Canada

Exit to leafzfan50

to leafzfan50
Thats been on the site now for almost a month just so yah know.

Sucks that the speeds are going bye bye

Steve
neeloy
join:2002-03-08
North Las Vegas, NV

neeloy to leafzfan50

to leafzfan50
I would still rather surf at a slightly lower speed than be bit capped. I think you will find that once rogers completes their deployment of DOCSIS headend controllers, they will again offer the old 3000/800 package, just at a higher price.

See the good thing about rogers, is with the exception of the CMTS's themselves, the rest of rogers network can be shared between Internet, Digital Cable, and VOD very easily. This means, that as long as they are making enough money over all three services to pay for the upkeep of their infrastructure, they are okay. Hence a much more stable business model than the one that Sympatico is trying to function under.

mau108
Mau
Premium Member
join:2001-10-07
Thornhill, ON

mau108 to leafzfan50

Premium Member

to leafzfan50
This speed cap is being incured because Bell has capped their bandwidth.

Many people are switching over to Rogers which makes them the most "popular" ISP now. And they can doo what ever they feel like doing

CURSE BELL!! CURSE ROGERS!!!
Kabdel
join:2002-02-07
Canada

Kabdel

Thats not true... Me, along with some others have been capped on the 1500 kbps downstream since early december. For about 7 months i kept trying to reinstall everything, play with the router, drivers, call Rogers, and pretty much tried everything, but it was the f***** cap the whole time. My upload was just capped about a week ago...

mau108
Mau
Premium Member
join:2001-10-07
Thornhill, ON

mau108

Premium Member

We dont talk about illegal stuff here
[text was edited by moderator]

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook to Kabdel

Mod

to Kabdel
When your upload speed was capped, did your download speed drop with it ? When they capped my upload about a week ago, download speeds went to just about 50% of what they were ... which was already at the new download speed!

Stuart
Kabdel
join:2002-02-07
Canada

Kabdel

I got rogers in October and was getting 2500 down all the time... Then one day in December my speed dropped to 1200 kbps, and whatever the time or situation or however i tweaked my settings i was never able to get passed 1300 kbps. I stupidly assumed it was my router, or my computer, or it was my fault... I don't really care about the downstream speed cap, since i have been at this slow speed for 7 months... My upload remained at 385 kbps... I have a terapro modem, and have heard people who have had the same situation... I should also add that when i unplugged my modem's wires and power, my download would jump up to 2500 kbps, and then after 5 minutes it would level off back at 1200 kbps...

Last week they capped my upload at 192 kbps, and my download is how it was for 7 months...
[text was edited by author 2002-06-18 11:38:03]

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

At least I now know that they CAN set up TeraPro's to work with 1.2 down /192 up ... I used to be 1.2 down / 384 up and it worked just fine ... then they cut the 384 to 192, and my download won't go over 730 or there abouts!